Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the never ending search for skills, my next project will likely be a "freeride hardtail" / dirt jump bike. Do any of the Turner faithful have experience in this area they'd like to share?

I think I'll be using a RS Pike, a steel hardtail frame, a 1x9 or 2x9 drivetrain with a chainguard and flat pedals. I want to be able to get the seat to near full extension for long climbs, so using a long Thomson post, I'd need a seat tube of a minimum of 15.5 or 16 inches. A Pike would allow steeper angles for jumping at the 95 mm travel setting and more slack "freeride" angles at 140 mm.

I have long arms and need a fairly long cockpit. For example on my XC hardtail, I run a 130 mm 15 degree rise stem with a 24.75 inch top tube. I'd want a shorter cockpit for this bike, but I don't imagine I could use one of the 22 inch top tube bikes out there. I think the range of 23-24 inches with a short stem would work better for me.

I like the idea of adjustable chainstay length to allow 24 inch wheels to be run with as short a chainstay as possible. I'd probably run my downhill 26" wheelset at first and then possibly build up a set of 24 inchers in the future.

The frames on my short list are the Evil Sovereign, Banshee Scratch, On One 456 and the Surly Instigator. I think I'd need to use the 18 inch Instigator.

How far down does a person need to lower a saddle for jumping? I'm probably never going to do huge air, but I'd prefer to set up the bike to be my ally, not work against me. Any comments on how short the chainstays need to be or how different a setup should be for an XC versus a FR hardtail? Thanks for any help.

I know there's a DJ/Urban forum, but I hope the Turner forum will produce more useful advice for me. In my mind If I was to build an all-out DJ bike it would be too short and low in the saddle for longer rides.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,923 Posts
I can comment on the saddle height part, slamming it all the way down is necessary for ensuring that there is nothing in the way when you jump, especially for tricks. But even if you're not trying 360 whips the amount of body english involved with jumping is substantial and you need to have that room.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your jumps and what you figure out about fit and geometrys.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
I'd go for an Evil Soveriegn or Chromag TRL / Samurai.

I spent two seasons on my dekerf implant and loved it- I preferred it over the RFX for anything XC.

Short chainstays are a mixed blessing. They make the front end easy to get up, but also hurt the climbing- the bike can want to loop out, then you end up putting a longer stem or shorter fork on, to make climbing OK. An adjustable travel fork is a great way to work around this... the pike isn't so hot for this, but then it's also fairly short.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
I'd factor in horizontal vs vertical dropouts as well. Horizontal are nice for tensioning a SS chain, but make disk brakes harder to deal with. IMHO, I'd go vertical if I had gears and wanted disks. Just thought I'd mention it - I don't know what's on the frames you listed.

BTW, with my 34" inseam the shortest seattube that I can use and still get full extension is 16", and that's pushing it. Even my 18.5" Pack with the seat slammed is plenty good for any kind of tricks I'll try, but that'll never include a tail whip. ;) For no hander moves you may want it a little higher so you can pinch it with your knees.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
bob, for a guy yer age gettin into a side of the sport such as this, consider 1 of these. please.

i think the s/tube measures about 16", the stays are mega adjustable to the tune of about 3", has hella standover and its a single speed to boot! how core is that? theres even a place to carry yer f/r gear on the climbs.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
cactuscorn said:
bob, for a guy yer age gettin into a side of the sport such as this.
says one old fart to another...;)

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,118 Posts
I'm so jealous. I would love to have the extra cash right now to build up a similar hardtail. I would definitely have to work on my skills, but it sounds like so much fun to have something that you ride around the neighborhood or just at the dirt jumps. Keep us informed, I want to see what you come up with!

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
from your selection...I would pick the Sovereign in a heartbeat. Although, if you're not planning on riding it as a trail bike much/ at all...consider the much cheaper/ slightly more slack lil' bro; the "DOC". Get the long for sure. The beauty of these bikes is, if you really want to trail ride them...they are fun as all get out!!!

PS. I really liked my Sovereign :)

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
OT: What Frame for my Pike?
<hr style="color: rgb(183, 183, 183);" size="1"> In the never ending search for skills, my next project will likely be a "freeride hardtail" / dirt jump bike. Do any of the Turner faithful have experience in this area they'd like to share?

I think I'll be using a RS Pike, a steel hardtail frame, a 1x9 or 2x9 drivetrain with a chainguard and flat pedals. I want to be able to get the seat to near full extension for long climbs, so using a long Thomson post, I'd need a seat tube of a minimum of 15.5 or 16 inches. A Pike would allow steeper angles for jumping at the 95 mm travel setting and more slack "freeride" angles at 140 mm.

I have long arms and need a fairly long cockpit. For example on my XC hardtail, I run a 130 mm 15 degree rise stem with a 24.75 inch top tube. I'd want a shorter cockpit for this bike, but I don't imagine I could use one of the 22 inch top tube bikes out there. I think the range of 23-24 inches with a short stem would work better for me.

I like the idea of adjustable chainstay length to allow 24 inch wheels to be run with as short a chainstay as possible. I'd probably run my downhill 26" wheelset at first and then possibly build up a set of 24 inchers in the future.

The frames on my short list are the Evil Sovereign, Banshee Scratch, On One 456 and the Surly Instigator. I think I'd need to use the 18 inch Instigator.

How far down does a person need to lower a saddle for jumping? I'm probably never going to do huge air, but I'd prefer to set up the bike to be my ally, not work against me. Any comments on how short the chainstays need to be or how different a setup should be for an XC versus a FR hardtail? Thanks for any help.

I know there's a DJ/Urban forum, but I hope the Turner forum will produce more useful advice for me. In my mind If I was to build an all-out DJ bike it would be too short and low in the saddle for longer rides.
Man, dude, Bob ya keep stealing my ideas and hay welcome to the dirt jump world, my own bike just came in and pick her up on Friday OTT day:D

Shes a stunner more so in the flesh, was hoping it would be an ugly pug so I could thow it away on jumps If I decided to bail, instead it needs to hang on the wall, oohh I can't wait to go be a kid again, jump around just be a dork and not worry about gears spandex baggies and any other shiat that complicates riding, oh I love those things 2 really, but this is a revelation and my escape into being 5yrs old again, I know only a year younger than usual.

BUT im stoked, I know its not a Turner but hay its as close as it'll get, I thought I'd change a few things until I saw it and then blasted my around the LBS shop today on it threating the front display window with cutties, my version of a manual all the while dodging other bikes & components hanging from walls:D

Highly recommend! this is a freedom reliever to anyone, do it its a huge compliment to our technological Turners and we can only ride them better after restoring our very youthful genes or permnantly removing them:eek:

I will post seperate thread later in week.

Sorry Bob not to steal your thunder, but go for it dude, its a hoot yeahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ta's DJ

and this is it:eekster: no MORE projects with wheels:nono:

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Look no further.
Frank knows...........

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I will second the motion on the Evil - either the Sovereign, or save the extra $ and get the DOC - I'm jumping on one and I love it

mine has an older Z1 QR20 on it - that I just had Marzocchi reduce the travel on this morning - down to 100mm - I have it set up as a single-speed and I love how quiet it is dirt jumping

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
Don't forget to check out the SantaCruz Chameleon.This frame really can do it all plus it is relative lightweight.Or the Yeti DJ maybe but it has a relative short seattube for your mountain trips but you can swap the dropouts...Good luck finding a matching ride.
I personally use a GT Moto frame wich I got cheap at ebay as my jump/play only ride.

Later
RaD

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
RaD said:
Don't forget to check out the SantaCruz Chameleon.This frame really can do it all plus it is relative lightweight.Or the Yeti DJ maybe but it has a relative short seattube for your mountain trips but you can swap the dropouts...Good luck finding a matching ride.
I personally use a GT Moto frame wich I got cheap at ebay as my jump/play only ride.

Later
RaD
actually, if he is going to be dj'ing - I don't recommend the Chameleon - not great geometry for dj and it is awfully light - which makes in not particularly stable for jumping

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
I used the Chamelon with good results.Shure are meanwhile more specialized bikes for that job aviable but are they that versatile?

Later
RaD

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
pike suited frames explained

hey bob, in my continuin quest to help ya out as much as i know how, ive done some extensive research on this question and found a few options ya might consider since ya didnt seem to care for my 1st one.

now keep in mind im not a big pike fan or a guy capable of a dj bike but ive done my level best here. after the good times ya showed us at THC last year, its the least i could do.

the 1st is the production version of the original pike worthy frame
the 2nd is the next generation i suppose one could say, but im not sure of availability
the 3rd is a action shot of the budget version of the 2nd. perhaps some mods are needed

whatever ya do i hope ya have fun and i trust this will help.

Attachments

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cactuscorn said:
hey bob, in my continuin quest to help ya out as much as i know how, ive done some extensive research on this question and found a few options ya might consider since ya didnt seem to care for my 1st one.

now keep in mind im not a big pike fan or a guy capable of a dj bike but ive done my level best here. after the good times ya showed us at THC last year, its the least i could do.

the 1st is the production version of the original pike worthy frame
the 2nd is the next generation i suppose one could say, but im not sure of availability
the 3rd is a action shot of the budget version of the 2nd. perhaps some mods are needed

whatever ya do i hope ya have fun and i trust this will help.
My hoverchair is a few years hence, but I DID like the first suggestion, the KHS trike is on the way. I figure it will really help with wheelies, manuals and especially trackstands :p . Seriously, I have pretty much decided on the Sovereign. It has just enough seat tube to do what I want. The other DJ bikes are probably better dirt jumpers, but not as versatile as trailbikes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts