Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the randomness here, but this question hit me as I lay in bed last night with only 3 days to my wedding - am I, as the groom, supposed to get a gift for my bride to be? Did any of you married gals get anything, or wish that you did? I surfed a little but found nothing, so I may be off the hook. I am just trying to do as many things correctly as possible!

btw - we plan to ride off after the ceremony together on our Schwinn Twinn (cruiser tandem), so there is your biking relevancy!

thank you!

cheers,
josh

·
Registered
425 Posts
Good luck at the wedding!

Being that we were married in the county clerk's office, and never have exchanged gifts in our 5 year history, we did not do the gift exchange prior to the wedding either. I prefer not to do gifts actually. I'm not much of a traditionalist. But if you think your soon-to-be wife is expecting one, then you probably should do that. Maybe a watch? I'm really clueless on this stuff.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I went with a watch

For my fiance. Seemed to be a good one. More practical than jewellery (which she doesn't really wear anyway) and nice enough as it is kinda pretty.

·
Glue Sniffer
553 Posts
Myself and my man-stallion are in the process of planning our January wedding as well - it'll be at the trails, but we won't be wearing spandex.

So, I'm all about a biking-wedding thread!

I don't really know about the whole gift tradition. In some of those lists that every single traditionyou could ever imagine, I have seen "groom" and "brides" gifts listed - but then again, they probably list gifts to the second cousin's cat as a neccessity as well.

If you all haven't talked about it, you're probably in the clear. But, since you're thinking 'bout it, and you've still got 3 whole days left, it seems like a gift would do nothing but give you extra brownie points (which directly translate to sack time - especially if she didn't get you anything).

Go for simple and sweet (which can also be quick and easy if you play your cards right) - It's amazing how appreciated a dried flower along with a nicely printed poem (or anything else sappy) can be. It ain't about the gift, it's about the presentation of the gift.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks!

Catzilla, I saw that thread the other day and that is actually what sparked posting here - congrats to you, by the way! We're roadtripping to the Banff area for our honeymoon and definately bringing the bikes, though I think we will try to avoid any mondo-epic rides for this trip - its about the R&R!

Great ideas. At first I was thinking bike jersey, then assuming that might not go well, I thought about lingerie, but some sort of nice hardware would be nice. What the hell, I've got TONS of time to think about it (ha!)!

what a nice surprise to see such a quick response - we're definately excited, and I am a very lucky man to have found a wonderful person to spend my life with, whether the tires be skinny or fat!

·
internet axe murderer
220 Posts
Congratulations!

The Schwinn Twin tandem sounds very cool. Please post a wedding picture of you two on it when you're back from your honeymoon!

If your wife has an etiquette book or has been asking lots of friends and family members about the "right" way to do the wedding, then she might be expecting you two to exchange gifts. Ask her!

My hubby and I discussed it and decided neither of us saw the point of exchanging gifts, since we were already giving ourselves to each other. It seems like another ploy by the wedding industry to get you to spend more moola. Of course, there are always non-material gifts, such as a poem, that you could make very personal.

Spike

rockbender said:
Sorry about the randomness here, but this question hit me as I lay in bed last night with only 3 days to my wedding - am I, as the groom, supposed to get a gift for my bride to be? Did any of you married gals get anything, or wish that you did? I surfed a little but found nothing, so I may be off the hook. I am just trying to do as many things correctly as possible!

btw - we plan to ride off after the ceremony together on our Schwinn Twinn (cruiser tandem), so there is your biking relevancy!

thank you!

cheers,
josh

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm, I don't know Spike. We definately are not into promoting the commercialization aspect of the wedding - no $20k flower budget here! I was thinking of asking her, but didn't want to look like a jackass. I am pretty sure I should just get a little something. Her maid of honor just rolled into town today, so I think that would be a good source to ask, since she herself just got married a year ago and she DEFINATELY did it by the book!

I'll definately post some photos in a week or two - it should be a really fun time!

·
Glue Sniffer
553 Posts
Remember, nothing says "I love you" like a bucket of chicken.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ha!

catzilla said:
Remember, nothing says "I love you" like a bucket of chicken.
I can see it now... a bucket of chicken and a couple of PBR talls in lieu of the standard rose pedals on our bed waiting for us on our wedding night! ..."bucket of chicken"... I'M STILL GIGGLING!!!

That is actually funnier than you think... last year we were cycling in Maui and every time a little bird would cross our path, I would ask, "what kind of bird do you think that was?" Cate's reply every time was..."It's a CHICKEN!" You guessed it... any animal that even resembles a bird is forever more a chicken.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Diamond solitare neckless

Is what I gave my wife. She loves it and wears it all the time. I make her take it off before mountain biking though.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
{{sniifff sniifff}}

You know, I never used to daydream about my wedding until I became a mtb addict. Now, I love to daydream about how I'd incorporate biking into my wedding (whether or not the groom rides is irrelevant ;) )

Even had a dream once where I escaped from my own wedding on my bike. It was awkward trying to ride in full bridal mode, and I had to pedal around a castle-like building to find the exit, but I managed somehow. I should see a shrink about THAT one! :roll:

Anyway, I agree that the gift-giving is crazy enough as is. Something small and romantic gets my vote. Save the expensive stuff for an anniversary gift- first, fifth or tenth.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Christine said:
Anyway, I agree that the gift-giving is crazy enough as is. Something small and romantic gets my vote. Save the expensive stuff for an anniversary gift- first, fifth or tenth.
or twentieth.. we went scuba diving in Mexico for two weeks. ;-)

formica

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I gave mine a simple pair of earrings... a curved gold thingy with a pearl on the end. Not too expensive or fancy. Kind of blew it, though, because we had talked about not doing gifts for each other, but at the last minute, I decided I should, so I did and she was all worried that she didn't get me anything. I told her it didn't matter, but her sense of fairness bugged her about it. Oh well... the best laid plans and all.

Congrats!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Follow up:

So, a quick follow up:

I went function over fashion and gave my fiancee (now wife!) a sweet jersey from the local brewpub the morning of our wedding day, which, along with the homemade card, went over very well!

I got out for a short ride with my cousin's from out of town, but unfortuanately Cate got too wrapped up in prep to get away for a ride before the event. The ride was a bit rushed, but it was awesome to get out and not have any 'empty' time during the day.

At the end of the ceremony, my best man wheeled over the Schwinn Twinn and we rode down the aisle and around the pond. It really made it fun for us and all our guests thought it was a very appropriate exit! I will post a photo or two as soon as I get them from the photogragher.

Thanks, everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
rockbender said:
So, a quick follow up:

At the end of the ceremony, my best man wheeled over the Schwinn Twinn and we rode down the aisle and around the pond. It really made it fun for us and all our guests thought it was a very appropriate exit! I will post a photo or two as soon as I get them from the photogragher.

Thanks, everyone!
That is so cool! Congratulations!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts