Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the non-mtb content, but dang it--it is cyclocross season after all. Plus, I post much more here than on RBR.

Here is a pic of the new Curtlo. Made of S3 tubing. Weight is exactly 3.55 lbs. That is pretty light for a steel frame in my opinion. It has a 57cm TT, so it isn't a small frame either. I know I could get aluminum or ti lighter, but steel is great and it should ride really well. My Curtlo road frame was somewhere over 4 lbs and my 29er steel curtlo 29er was about 4.5 or so. Thus the weight of this is pretty awesome. It really is my race day only bike, so while it will get plenty of abuse (that paint ain't gonna look to good Sunday afternoon), it is doubtful that it will see too many miles. I will post pictures later of the complete bike.

Build will be 1 x 9.

By the way, the pics don't do the color justice. It is a really milky-vomit color. Kind of a salmon. Which is fitting since I am in Oregon afterall.

Attachments

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Some questions....

How long did it take Doug to get your frame done?

Does Doug answer your phone calls?

Does Doug reply to e-mail?

Is Doug a nice guy?

;)

Monte
(nice frame, need to talk him into some S3 tubes on an mtb)

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Monte said:
How long did it take Doug to get your frame done?

Does Doug answer your phone calls?

Does Doug reply to e-mail?

Is Doug a nice guy?

;)

Monte
(nice frame, need to talk him into some S3 tubes on an mtb)
Time: from deposit to delivery 18 weeks I think. It was delayed some due to a fire that forced he and his family out of his home for a while, and then because it wasn't done by interbike as he had planned, that added more time. Then there was some indecision about the paint. I ended up just telling him to pick a color for me---which is how I wound up with this color. Glad he picked instead of me.

Phone calls: sometimes. It is streaky. Sometimes it is impossible to get him on the phone for a week or two. And then, like last week, I can get him whenever I call.

Emails: sometimes. Again it is streaky. If I bug him and he doesn't answer I figure that he is busy and I wait a day or two and then try again. If I really want to get him I will email and then call asking him to respond to me when he get the chance. This works.

Doug is a really great guy to work with. He genuinely cares about what he is building. He likes a good amount of detail regarding your set up, style and body characteristics. He has done very well for me in the past, and I am sure that this frame will be the same.

Regarding the S3--I think YOU should do it first, and then let us know what you think. I am interested, but skeptical. I don't want to be one of the first ones to use those tubes on an mtb. I think it would hold up, but without a reliable builder with a long history of building doing it, I think it is suspect. I don't count Mint cycles as qualifying under that standard. Even though they say that they built lots of frames, I still don't see their work around the trails or on this board. I would like to see someone else do it. Actually if the this cross frame ride well enough that will go a long way toward tempting me in the future.

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,200 Posts
When I broke my frame the other day, I shot him an email and heard back from him within a few hours. It actually surprised me how fast he responded.

Doug is great to deal with and really knows his stuff. I've been thrilled with my frame. If he did Ti, I'd order another just like it.

Paint has been one of the biggest holdups when I've had Doug do work on my frame. It always seems to get hung up at the powdercoater.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I was parked next to Jon Hamblen Sunday with his two deep red Richard Sachs bikes. Unbelievably nice bikes! My bikes might be three seizes bigger and lighter but it didn,t keep him from winning CX 1.
Last year I saw a tiny young racer on a tank (Surly) ride really will up a run up.
Its all about the motor he?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I like everything about that bike. Tubeset, fillets, even the color. Nice.
I'm thinking about having a very well respected builder build an S3 mtb for the little (and I mean little) woman. We'll see...

·
Registered
225 Posts
That looks great! I kinda like that color. I'm planning a custom steel road bike and I'm really hung up on what color to get too. It's a tough commitment to make! Even worse if it's PPG auto paint and you've literally got 1000's of choices, but anyway...

Sharp CX bike! I'd love to see a pic of your Curtlo road bike too. You could PM it to me if you think it would offend the mountain bike boards too much.

Did you get a matching fork, or what are you using on the front end?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Awesome frame, Law! Looks like a winner and a one to have a lot of fun on.

No way this is OT, though. Perhaps OTN, not OT.

Nice choo-choo train as well. ;-)

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TACSTS said:
That looks great! I kinda like that color. I'm planning a custom steel road bike and I'm really hung up on what color to get too. It's a tough commitment to make! Even worse if it's PPG auto paint and you've literally got 1000's of choices, but anyway...

Sharp CX bike! I'd love to see a pic of your Curtlo road bike too. You could PM it to me if you think it would offend the mountain bike boards too much.

Did you get a matching fork, or what are you using on the front end?

It is an alpha Q CX fork.

I will send you a pic later about the road Curtlo. I had that one done in a nice early 90's neonish green.

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jrm said:
Waiting really blows....
Yeah, I specifically told Doug that I need it by the end of Sept. and he agreed when I placed the order. However with all the fires, and interbike, it got pushed back. But I would think that you would have to be close to getting your bike.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,441 Posts
mvi said:
I was parked next to Jon Hamblen Sunday with his two deep red Richard Sachs bikes. Unbelievably nice bikes! My bikes might be three seizes bigger and lighter but it didn,t keep him from winning CX 1.
Last year I saw a tiny young racer on a tank (Surly) ride really will up a run up.
Its all about the motor he?
Here's a picture for you.

Attachments

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rivet said:
Here's a picture for you.

Thats a lot of money sitting there. Sachs' stuff is at the top obviously. I have a pair of Richard Sachs cycling socks and that is as close as I have have been able to get to owning any of his stuff. That was about all I could afford at the time I bought them. Maybe someday.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,441 Posts
Law said:
Thats a lot of money sitting there. Sachs' stuff is at the top obviously. I have a pair of Richard Sachs cycling socks and that is as close as I have have been able to get to owning any of his stuff. That was about all I could afford at the time I bought them. Maybe someday.
I think the wait is like 4 years now. Richards seems to be a pretty cool guy from my experience with him on various forums, very grounded.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Law said:
Time: from deposit to delivery....
I was making light of those questions that seemed to get asked all the time. You got a great looking frame, a cx bike looks like fun. Yours looks great.

Monte

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
The barrel adjuster on the brake cable hanger is a nice touch. Why isn't there one for the front der, too? Oh yeah, you aren't using one... Why is there a stop for a front der cable, then?

I switched my cross bike from a 2x8 with bar end shifters to a 1x9 with an STI lever at the beginning of the season. I loves it. Made a chain guard out of an old big ring and bought a jump stop. Works perfect.

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
evilbike said:
The barrel adjuster on the brake cable hanger is a nice touch. Why isn't there one for the front der, too? Oh yeah, you aren't using one... Why is there a stop for a front der cable, then?

I switched my cross bike from a 2x8 with bar end shifters to a 1x9 with an STI lever at the beginning of the season. I loves it. Made a chain guard out of an old big ring and bought a jump stop. Works perfect.

The front der. pulley is not mounted, but I can mount a front der. if I want to in the future. I have a 3rd Eye for the inside and an FSA chainguard in place of the outer ring. I still haven't started building it yet, school is killing me right now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts