Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all

After 35 years of eating meat, about 3-4 weeks ago I became a vegetaran. My wife has been a semi-vegetarian for awhile... but as a couple we've decided to go full time. I have my many reasons for doing so, but I ain't gonna bore you with that hippy bullsh*t. Even though I'm a staunch Independent/Fiscal Conservative :D.

Being of Filipino descent and being a vegetarian is like mixing oil and water. :nono:

Anybody know of any good vegetarian restaurants in the South Bay? So far we've eaten a bunch in Santa Cruz, but as far as San Jose goes - we've been to Happy Bamboo (AWESOME) and Chaat Bhavan in Fremont.

Any place I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Dion said:
but as far as San Jose goes - we've been to Happy Bamboo (AWESOME)
I saw the thread title and thought "Oh, I gotta tell him about Happy Bamboo!" Looks like you've already found it though.
Shiloh loves the Vegetarian House in downtown San Jose.

Going full vegetarian can be difficult. Not because veggie food is hard to find, but because you KNOW how good bacon or a hamburger can be. Will power is going to be the biggest obstacle, at least for me it is. I give in on occasion, and almost always regret it due to how I feel afterward.

Good luck!

ps, I think I saw you at 24hr fitness last week.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to be a competitive bodybuilder in my 20's, and my diet was real meat centric. When I hit my 30s, the days of 9% bodyfat were gone... Add a career change and I got nice and fat. In my line of work, I meet a lot of people with type II diabetes, heart disease and other ailments that couldn't been avoided with proper diet. Not that meat is entirely bad, but culturally it causes a lot of problems in my ethnic group.

Supplementing protein and vitamins is habit from my bodybuilding days so that doesn't bother me. And to be honest, I don't miss eating meat that much in my short time of converting.

I still eat fish, though.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Good Karma, Sabai Thai, House of Siam and Vegetarian House in San Jose
Malabar and Saturn Cafe in Santa Cruz

I can go on if you'd like. BTW, tempeh is GREAT for protein in a non meat centric diet and not taking supplements. My ex was vegan and got used to eating that way and I really don't miss eating meat, although at times I will eat a ton of bison or lamb.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,570 Posts
Falafel Drive In on San Carlos near 880 has some good vegi stuff and you can buy bulk cooked Falafel balls [Garbanzo Beans] to take home and make your own

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
I can't help you with locations but most Indian restaurants have lots of veggie options. That being said, you won't get any healthier eating there, as Indian food is very rich.

By the way, Chaat Bhavan kicks butt!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Good one Buzzcut...best banana milkshakes there too. Also plenty of chinese restaurants in the S Bay plus most italian joints have good vegi dishes. Don't forget Dharma's in Capitola even though it is not in south bay. Enjoy...

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,243 Posts
Kan Zeman on University Ave. Palo Alto (Jordanian) has a good selection of vegetarian stuff. The veggie kebab plate that comes with rice, hummus, yogurt/cucumber dip & pita bread & lentil soup for like, $12 is awesome! It's way more tasty than it sounds & way too much food... which might not be a bad thing if you're really hungry. Plus they have some Armenian dark beer that is f'ing heaven! (but it's $6)

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,243 Posts
Also, kind of related - beer may not be purely vegetarian. I mostly try to ignore this, being a vegetarian who mountain bikes, and who feels strongly that craft beer is a necessity for our our fine sport, kinda like saddles and wheels. But since you are a new veggie person, I will provide you with the facts, so you can make an informed decision regarding how far you are willing to go with your vegetarianism.... :D

http://beeradvocate.com/articles/279

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shredchic said:
Also, kind of related - beer may not be purely vegetarian. I mostly try to ignore this, being a vegetarian who mountain bikes, and who feels strongly that craft beer is a necessity for our our fine sport, kinda like saddles and wheels. But since you are a new veggie person, I will provide you with the facts, so you can make an informed decision regarding how far you are willing to go with your vegetarianism.... :D

http://beeradvocate.com/articles/279
Thanks! But I only enjoy 1-2 beers a week at max. BLASPHEMY! I know... :lol:

Thanks for all your suggestions, folks. My wife, who has been suffering with a carnivore for the 4 years we've been together, is rejoicing for my decision.

·
Trip the Bike Fantastic
588 Posts
I went to the Cafe Gratitude inside the Cupertino Whole Foods last weekend. Not only is their food vegan, it's all raw, too. I've always come out impressed with what comes out of their kitchens, and their desserts are spectacular. The names of the dishes have a little to be desired, though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am an avid meat eater, but I like Good Karma in downtown San Jose. The atmosphere is quite hipster but the food is actually pretty good. If you go, order the spicy basil tofu. I get two orders of that whenever I go and wolf it down every time.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Good Karma does have a somewhat 'hipster' vibe going on, but all the employees are super cool and the owner is ever cooler. I'm no regular there, but the owner knows me and always gives me something for free when I go since I started going when they opened up. They do put a TON of salt in the food, so watch if you're sensitive to sodium or watching your sodium intake.

Another place that vegan and vegetarian friendly is Taqueria San Jose on 6th and Santa Clara. They are one of the very few mexican food joints that don't cook their rice with lard and they have some seriously good veggie foods. If you're vegan they even have the option for corn tortillas instead of the flour or spinach ones that have wheat.

Oh! New Leaf market in Santa Cruz has some of the best sandwiches I've had.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,584 Posts
Dion:

Just cook your own stuff, that’s what my wife and I (well, technically I do 99% of the cooking) do. Just experiment with different stuff until you get it right. Well, we aren’t vegetarians, but we rarely eat meat. Lots of stews and sauteés, even marinated and grilled… but the best bet is when you can get your produce organic, since if you eat it raw, you are getting the most out of it.

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,156 Posts
motorbacon said:
...If you're vegan they even have the option for corn tortillas instead of the flour or spinach ones that have wheat...
Just to clarify, vegan does not mean no wheat. A gluten free diet means no wheat. Gluten free does seem to be a popular subtractive diet in the vegan community, but they are independent of each other.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts