Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6"4" tall and in need of an extended cab or 4 door truck. I don't need a full size truck but not sure if i'd fit well in mid. sizer's. Hopped in my buddies Tacoma extended cab was a no go. Suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
... a van... no seriously (although i know you won't take it that way)... in most ways they are just all around better vehicles... they get better MPG (typicaly) and the stuff in the "bed" is much more secure... they are typicaly safer in accidents... and on the used market MUCH cheaper...

there are a few guys in our club that use em (i roll an astro personaly)... toss the bike inside the van (back seat out and it's no problem)... still room for 5 people and a place to get some shade after a ride... one guy rides with his dogs and rolls an astro pannel van (stripped inteior with no windows)... dogs hop in and off they go...

you can find a full size van for insane prices if you look in the right places... gas sucks but hey :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Or you can go with an older used Tundra...they are smaller than the new Tundra but bigger than the new Tacoma...My bro has one and is actually a nice sized truck with plenty of power.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Truck

Hey Keen,

My son is 6"4" and drives a Ridgeline and loves it, I have an F-150 Supercrew and am 6'2" and it would fit if I was six inches taller. I am able to fold up the rear seat and my Racer X 29er fits across the inside of the rear passenger compartment.( with the front wheel off) You can also find good deals on these used.

Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ridgeline is probably going to be outside my 10k budget. One of my main issues w/ a full sized truck is the bad gas mileage. I want to get minimum 19-20 mpg. Tundra or old T-100 look nice but not sure how roomy the Japanese flavors run ie. Toyota, Nissan etc. Considered an Astro or Safari van but still little hung up on having a bed and the mileage ???

·
some know me as mongo
692 Posts
i'm 6'5" and i have a nissan frontier. its the crew cab long bed 4x4 version. i decent gas mileage as well, about 18 in teh city and about 20-21 on the highway

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nissan not bad

some of the older small nissans are not bad in the extended cabs. The value of mine has actually gone up since I bought it :cool: . Its a 96 but gets about 22-23 with the (4 cylinder,2 wheel drive). They are getting hard to find in good condition because of there good milage and low price people hold on to them.

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
I'm 6'6" and fit in my Honda Pilot.
We've taken 6 full sized adults back from Palo Duro (8 hour drive).
1 in the 3rd row.

I fit fine behind the wheel or in any passenger seat.
I get 20-25 mpg (KM Airfilter, synthetic oil, and sea foam (tank/oil) every 3 months).

looking at the Sequoia (built off Tundra). That thing is HUGE and extremely roomy!
I have 2 kids, Girl friend has 2.
Looked shortly at suburban, but I don't fit behind the wheel or any of the seats with comfort.

Either you're buying for function or mileage.
Both is a pipe dream.

No way in hell would I be in a minivan.
(no offense to those who have them and love them).
They seem ok, but luckily I don't fit in them.
Personally, I'll pay the mile per gallon premium to not drive one and be in an SUV.

Unless you need the functionality of a truck a lot, don't get one.
Rent one when needed or borrow one.
Seating for 4-6 adults or 7 or 8 kids is pretty cool in the newer SUVs.

Suburbans look nice, but the 3rd row is cramped and doesn't recline like the Sequoia. MPG has improved, but I'll go Sequoia when the time comes...

·
Registered
64 Posts
6'7 in a 2002 F150 Super Crew. Works great but sucks gas like a monster. It is nice to fit with plenty of head and leg room, just pull the bike out of the bed at the trail head and go. I don't drive it to commute and park in the city and can't imagine it as my only vehicle, but great for when I need to tow or haul around the stuff.

·
turtles make me hot
11,752 Posts
I'm 6'4" and I drive a 98 Yukon. I hate small cars, I hate small trucks even more.

Donaldson is spot on with the van. I'm on the lookout for a late 90's Ford E150. You can pile a ton of friends and bikes in one. When you stop to eat, everything is locked up nice and safe inside.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm 6'2 and drive a 2003 ford ranger edge. when my hair gets about an inch tall its rubbing the ceiling.

The van idea is interesting, but I think my next car is going to be a Toyota Camry. Its big enough to be comfortable or to take a head on with a deer (alabama), but its small enough that its easy to park and manuver, and it gets great gas mileage. Just put a roof or hitch rack on it and your good to go. Plus your still killing the gas mileage. And the ride is much nicer than that of a truck, van or SUV.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
ok

I'm 6'4" and I push around in a 05 tacoma reg cab on a day to day basis...... I dont have any room issues.......Even with the wife in the pass seat!:D

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
NYrr496 said:
I'm 6'4" and I drive a 98 Yukon. I hate small cars, I hate small trucks even more.

Donaldson is spot on with the van. I'm on the lookout for a late 90's Ford E150. You can pile a ton of friends and bikes in one. When you stop to eat, everything is locked up nice and safe inside.
i will admit that with a "real" van you do have to fight against that hump for your left leg.... and removing the dog house to work on sucks... but they are so practical... friend of mine bought a diesel version (he uses it to tow his car to races) for much less then 1/2 of what he'd spend to buy the same chassis/engine with a pick up

but what do I know... i'm 6'4 and owned 5 mkI mr2's... a neon ACR, shelby charger, a yugo (i miss that thing dang it), old corolla and tercel, and LUST for an early mx5/miata ;-)... lots of small cars that people laugh at when I'm getting out... and to think my wife is 6'3....

a friend of mine thats maybe an inch shorter then me and also very into cars.... typically oddballs much like me said something to the extent... you can fit in just about any car that you set your mind to... which i've seen to be very true... sometimes that requires modifying the stock seat (removing padding to sit lower as having your head rub on the ceiling sucks, or sitting further back) or a seat from something else... and commonly a smaller steeringwheel... but if you want to drive that car bad enough you can fold yourself in there.

so it makes me chuckle a bit when these guys my height (or shorter) but typicaly much smaller (i'm 300# fat dood) ***** about fitting in cars... heck i fit just fine in my father in laws s10... sure i have to get in a specific way to get my right leg under the steering wheel to get in... but once in i can drive it no problem.

no offense meant... it's not my $$$ and i'm open to the idea of free market so buy what you like/want... which is why the those 125# hick boys down here in LA (lower alabama) all drive the biggest dually or jacked up truck they can...

·
some know me as mongo
692 Posts
btw on the full size vans the ford E series has much less of the hump than both the chevys and the dodges. i drive a E-250 all day for work and i have no problems with the hump under my left leg but i can barely even drive the companies 1500

6'5"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.