Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the girly and i are in SF for a work conference thing, but will have a couple days on the end to do some trail running. no bikes with this trip, but we both brought running stuff. and we have all our evenings free.

staying at the hilton by union square, for BART access. no rental car this trip either.

so, good trail run spots easily accessable with BART? gnarly/nasty trail is fine. we'd rather be on dirt/trail vs. pavement.

in the meantime, it's a tour de gastronomie for the both of us. urrrrp. waaaaaaay more/better eateries than along the front range of colorado. makes me miss boston for the same.

thanks for any assist. guess i shoulda' researched a bit before getting here........

dave

·
Registered
239 Posts
scrublover said:
the girly and i are in SF for a work conference thing, but will have a couple days on the end to do some trail running. no bikes with this trip, but we both brought running stuff. and we have all our evenings free.

staying at the hilton by union square, for BART access. no rental car this trip either.

so, good trail run spots easily accessable with BART? gnarly/nasty trail is fine. we'd rather be on dirt/trail vs. pavement.

in the meantime, it's a tour de gastronomie for the both of us. urrrrp. waaaaaaay more/better eateries than along the front range of colorado. makes me miss boston for the same.

thanks for any assist. guess i shoulda' researched a bit before getting here........

dave
Swing by the nearest bookstore and check out the book "Trail Runners Guide: San Francisco Bay Area" by Jessica Lage. It will probably have the nearest runs to your location. Happy Trails! :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
COMMITTED said:
Swing by the nearest bookstore and check out the book "Trail Runners Guide: San Francisco Bay Area" by Jessica Lage. It will probably have the nearest runs to your location. Happy Trails! :cool:
Golden Gate park has tons of trails to run on, and you can get there by the N streetcar line. Literally you can find trails near any entrance to the park. I would recommend hitting up the de young museum area then swinging over to stow lake/strawberry hill. It's a climb but great view at the top. Also nice is Lake Merced - its a 4.5 mile loop around this little lake in the southern part of the city. I can't remember the bus to get there but you can call 415-673-muni to get info on transit.

Nothing super close to where you are staying, although if you don't mind concrete you can run along the embarcadero from, say, justin hernam plaza. Nice way to get a little sightseeing in. Go left towards fisherman's wharf.

I was born/raised in SF and running was my first passion. I still love to go running there when I can. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Agree

I agree on what Impy has said. Although the De Young museum is a huge construction site now, so not much to look at the moment, but you could run through the Pan Handle to get to the GGPark. Must check out Stow Lake if you go through GGPark, and Strawberry Hill. You can check out www.511.org for bus info as well.

If you run along the Embarcadero I also suggest to run through Aquatic Park, and down to Crissy Fields - beautiful views of the GGBridge. Either way you can't go wrong!

-LJ

Impy said:
Golden Gate park has tons of trails to run on, and you can get there by the N streetcar line. Literally you can find trails near any entrance to the park. I would recommend hitting up the de young museum area then swinging over to stow lake/strawberry hill. It's a climb but great view at the top. Also nice is Lake Merced - its a 4.5 mile loop around this little lake in the southern part of the city. I can't remember the bus to get there but you can call 415-673-muni to get info on transit.

Nothing super close to where you are staying, although if you don't mind concrete you can run along the embarcadero from, say, justin hernam plaza. Nice way to get a little sightseeing in. Go left towards fisherman's wharf.

I was born/raised in SF and running was my first passion. I still love to go running there when I can. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
LJ0913 said:
I agree on what Impy has said. Although the De Young museum is a huge construction site now, so not much to look at the moment, but you could run through the Pan Handle to get to the GGPark. Must check out Stow Lake if you go through GGPark, and Strawberry Hill. You can check out www.511.org for bus info as well.

If you run along the Embarcadero I also suggest to run through Aquatic Park, and down to Crissy Fields - beautiful views of the GGBridge. Either way you can't go wrong!

-LJ
Ahh didn't know about the construction. It has been awhile.
That does remind me though, for about a good 6+ mile loop you can start from the deyoung area and run all the way to the beach and back along trails and pretty much completely avoid pavement. There are dirt paths that are easy to follow along the main streets mostly and also a bunch of singletrack (which I used to bike on before I knew that I was mountain biking, hah - these days its off limits to bikes legally). BTW I felt safe running alone during the day on almost all trails in GG park with the exception of two areas - some trails near the east most part of the part (near the end of haight street) give me the creeps, as does this one near the windmill that runs behind one of the soccer fields and across from the tulip gardens. But with a running partner I think even those would be fine. I ran alone for years along pretty much every trail in GG park. (reminiscing here, ahh)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yeah

Impy said:
Ahh didn't know about the construction. It has been awhile.
That does remind me though, for about a good 6+ mile loop you can start from the deyoung area and run all the way to the beach and back along trails and pretty much completely avoid pavement. There are dirt paths that are easy to follow along the main streets mostly and also a bunch of singletrack (which I used to bike on before I knew that I was mountain biking, hah - these days its off limits to bikes legally). BTW I felt safe running alone during the day on almost all trails in GG park with the exception of two areas - some trails near the east most part of the part (near the end of haight street) give me the creeps, as does this one near the windmill that runs behind one of the soccer fields and across from the tulip gardens. But with a running partner I think even those would be fine. I ran alone for years along pretty much every trail in GG park. (reminiscing here, ahh)
The trail near the windmill is infamous for some "recreational" activity that I would rather not get into :)

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet! thanks all for the tips! wasn't aware that the trails in GGP were dirt! we'll just hit those up. quick/easy to get to. and with other stuff around that we can work into it.

at the moment, i am stuffing my face with ginger candy. love the stuff!

now we just have to pick a place to eat tonight. helmand is on the list for one of the next days. more italian, and fish. ate ourselves silly last night at le colonial.
been chowing all day at various little cafe places.

*urrrrrrp* i'm gonna' need a couple runs here, and rides when i get home.

·
Royalston Mass
98 Posts
There are some nice trails down near Chrissy Fields too
Let me know if you need a recomendation for a place to eat.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Shwaa said:
The trail near the windmill is infamous for some "recreational" activity that I would rather not get into :)
yes indeed. I remember riding my bike there one day and noticing a lot of people on the trail, and in the bushes. Then realized they were all guys, and in pairs, and then I pedalled off really fast :eek:

·
Registered
681 Posts
scrublover said:

dave
Try GGNRA (Golden Gate Nat'l Rec Area). Dirt trail from Lands End down to the Cliff House (beautiful views of the ocean and GG bridge) and from the Cliff House you can run along Ocean beach another 3 miles south. There's a dirt trail that you can run on along Ocean beach or you can run on the sand (my favorite) or if you prefer go on the SF side of the Great Highway and run on asphalt - your choice of surfaces for this leg of the run!. Round trip starting from Lands End down to Sloat Blvd and back is probably 10 miles or so. Best run in SF.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.