Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
just rub some dirt on it
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some torque wrench suggestons.......I don't want to spend alot......but I don't want to get a piece of crap either. Something in the middle. Anyone have a recomendations:skep:

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
I use Norbar Torque wrenches... they are UK made and about 100USD each. They are nice, but not the cheapest for sure. Worth a look depending on your budget.
Good luck.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Depends if you want needle or click type

If you can live with a needle/bar type torque wrench the Park(s) are OK/cheap.
A click type torque wrench is much nicer. Craftsman is OK, but handle is cheap plastic.
CDI (a Snap-On company) makes a nice (all steel) click type, $100-120 price range.

·
Justin Vander Pol
1,740 Posts
You also need to think about the appplication. A big torque wrench that goes from 100 - 600 inch/lbs is fairly cheap and will help you torque your cranks, BB, pivots, pedals etc. A cheapo Craftsman is precise enough for any of these applications. But if you want to do the small bits such as brake rotor bolts and that kind of thing (10 to 100 inch/lbs) you'll need a small and very expensive wrench to get into a clicker style. A cheap small needle/bar-type wrench like the Park is probably the best bet for the tiny parts. I just do the little bits by feel, but always use a big wrench for cranks, pivots and BB.

You'll also want to invest in a couple socket-type allen wrenches. I have a 4,5,6,8, 10 and t-25 and that pretty much covers everything. The only thing I'm annoyed about is the new bottom bracket tool for my X-type RaceFace bottom bracket doesn't work with a socket or torque wrench. Hopefully I've done it enough with a wrench now that I can get pretty darn close by hand.

Don't forget to do your conversion between in/lbs, ft/lbs and NM. I spaced it one time and snapped a bolt... lesson learned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.