Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Simple enough question

Any reason I can't just bend the splay's in a Park RT-1 to use it to extract a 1.5 headset?

RT-1 .................................................................... RT-2

I recall reading somone jammed a broom handle in it to do the job.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Alex, after a couple of beers, it will work just fine...... you are only radially splaying out the tangs 3/16th of an inch.
FWIW, I use a piece of one inch diameter aluminum rod, and use the tap, rotate, tap, rotate method.
Just use a big mutha hammer.....

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,366 Posts
I have done just that, spread the park tool. Works fine.

I know the pieces fit.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
BZ - you need to be careful of one issue and that is whether the head tube is butted and/or you have a deepset headset that has press fit cups that extend higher in the headtube than the flare in the butting. If either or both situations exist, the flanges on the headset removal tool will slip in behind the cups and in between the outside of the cup and the inside of the head tube - which means you have the potential to ruin your headtube. Caution is advised. If that's the case, you need something solid to force the cups out.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ass and hammer?
Hell after enough of dem beers I'll just stuff my unit in there and pull the headset like a cork.

Thanks for the tips Cutty. I'll def check first.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Bikezilla said:
A Simple enough question

Any reason I can't just bend the splay's in a Park RT-1 to use it to extract a 1.5 headset?
No reason not to. You might want to dremel/grind the sharp edges first.

TA, sharing personal lubricant pointers on this forum is just wrong. Unless Tidy is the originator of the thread.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Random Drivel said:
No reason not to. You might want to dremel/grind the sharp edges first.

TA, sharing personal lubricant pointers on this forum is just wrong. Unless Tidy is the originator of the thread.
Since he was being so quite I was just filling in :p

Carry on carry on nothing here nothing here :D

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,366 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.