Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,243 Posts
sanjuro said:
Stay off BART and out of Oakland!!!!
At first I thought you meant Vander-whoever... Valdemort... :) but now I realize you mean Meserleh, lol!

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
I think that is BS. That is no manslaughter. That was an accident. They are throwing cop under the bus to calm down those Oakland thugs, I guess.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,341 Posts
Curmy said:
I think that is BS. That is no manslaughter. That was an accident. They are throwing cop under the bus to calm down those Oakland thugs, I guess.
It may be an accident but that does not absolve his responsibility.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Curmy said:
I cannot see how you mistake a gun for a taser - no way

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Curmy said:
Involuntary manslaughter is the unlawful killing of a human being without malice aforethought. It is distinguished from voluntary manslaughter by the absence of intention. It is normally divided into two categories; constructive manslaughter and criminally negligent manslaughter.

With that definition, that's the best result the prosecution could get.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
This has made me rethink what we ask of Law Enforcement

To put someone in dynamic situations with options of force confronting unknown motivations. I could never do it.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
highdelll said:
Do you try to handcuff a militant thug often?

zorg said:
It may be an accident but that does not absolve his responsibility.
The reason that accident happened is that a thug was misbehaving on a train and resisting arrest. And his relatives are counting taxpayer moneys in a civil lawsuit that is likely to follow.

Well, anyway, I was not on a jury. Whatever.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I read this week that one result of the incident was a revision of how BART police carry their Tasers. When this incident happened, the officer was carrying it holstered on the same side of his body as his sidearm. He grabbed the wrong handle and shot the guy.

Officers are now required to carry the Taser on the opposite side from their gun.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
HarryCallahan said:
I read this week that one result of the incident was a revision of how BART police carry their Tasers. When this incident happened, the officer was carrying it holstered on the same side of his body as his sidearm. He grabbed the wrong handle and shot the guy.

Officers are now required to carry the Taser on the opposite side from their gun.
what about this?
Mehserle's Taser was positioned to the left of his belt buckle. The right-handed officer's gun was on his right hip.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I think people blithely underestimate what it takes

to manage such situations. I used to work in Acute Short-Term Psychiatric care. When things come apart, when you are outnumbered, when you are fatigued, when you are distracted, people are telling you black is white, frustrated, berated, abused, and things move really fast and crazy and people are skilled at getting past you? The best of us find our limits.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
highdelll said:
what about this?
The news coverage on this is sickening. Hours on end of Oscars crying parents and Oakland's MIA Mayor whining about social injustice.

ZERO coverage of Meserle's family or lawyer.

Has anyone googled "oscar grant criminal record," by chance? Just wondering.:rolleyes:

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
highdelll said:
I do believe it was a mistake. I don't believe he meant to shoot an unarmed guy in the back. That's serial-killer territory there.

But...

It's very hard to believe someone who was familiar with their weapon made that kind of mistake. I'm about 100% sure the safety is not in the same place, and the weight and balance must be different. The taser is bright yellow. Don't you have to look right past it as you pull the trigger? Involuntary manslaughter is justice, though it's going to cause a bunch of trouble.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
I do believe it was a mistake. I don't believe he meant to shoot an unarmed guy in the back. That's serial-killer territory there.

But...

It's very hard to believe someone who was familiar with their weapon made that kind of mistake. I'm about 100% sure the safety is not in the same place, and the weight and balance must be different. The taser is bright yellow. Don't you have to look right past it as you pull the trigger? Involuntary manslaughter is justice, though it's going to cause a bunch of trouble.
He's facing 5-15 - which is similar to what Aaron Vargas got, and everyone thought he got the book thrown at him.

Merserle has NO M.O., Oscar was a career criminal.

Oscar should be tried in absentia/posthumously for assault and battery. F that guy. Without his criminal antics we wouldn't be debating this. He Fvcked Meserle's life up, completely - and Meserle was just doing his job.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.