Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out of the country, I had some packages (sports related: my son's hockey equipment) delivered to my home. My mom stops by daily to check the mail, etc. but before delivery, the UPS Web site said that the packages were to be delivered on Wed so she didn't expect them. The packages were left on the front porch Tues. The next day the packages were not there (i.e., stolen). The store says it's UPS' responsibility. UPS says that these are "surepost" packages which are delivered by USPS, so it's USPS' responsibility. She's trying to contact USPS now, and I'm awaiting the response, but is there any chance that I'll get reimbursed? I'm still out of the country, so cannot easily contact USPS myself.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: I had another package delivered on Thursday by UPS. And again, according to the UPS Web site, it was delivered to my address (and left on my porch) around 5pm. When my mom went to get it, it wasn't there. The neighbor saw her pull in and told her that UPS had left the package on their porch instead. So she got that, but the other two are still missing. It is possible that UPS left them in some random address rather than their being stolen, since when she went to check the mail on Tuesday evening, she likely would have seen the packages which were left at noon. I don't have any cameras installed so can't say if the packages were stolen or dropped of at the wrong house, but UPS leaving the package at the wrong house and claiming they delivered it needs to also be addressed.

·
Registered
598 Posts
USPS isn't as dialed with their tracking system as some other shippers. If they say there's a ship by date, they may just say it was delivered that day, even if it hasn't been delivered yet. Several times I've gotten the package the day after they said it had been delivered.

So you might still get it, but it's a good idea to check with the shipper anyway.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the best way to have packages delivered to the house? I recall an incident that I had with FedEx when the package required a signature, and they still dropped it at wrong house and some random person signed for it. I am sure the same happens with other shippers. I guess a photo or GPS stamp would be the next step for them to prove where they left it, but I don't know if such a system is in place.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Ring doorbell for the win! Records all activity near the front door to the cloud. I have used it when out of town to ask one of our neighbors to go over and get a package off my door step so it does not sit there overnight. Can use it as proof of delivery as well. It also is set up perfectly so that I get a clear image of anyone's face who approaches the door.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
So you keep doing this and keep losing packages----perhaps you should change your approach---Amazon covers this with lockers----or have the post office hold for pickup----or ship to a friend in a safer place---all these other options above just cause you to spend more time--POD--cameras etc. You can with some shippers require a signature but that is a pain for most folks. Small claims tends to be a waste---you win but there is NO enforcement so all you did was use time.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Almost everyone around me has cameras--but the result is they show the delivery and someone taking it---so then what ?? In most cases it shows delivery so who are you going to chase. The cops will do nothing. Welcome to America

·
Registered
348 Posts
Almost everyone around me has cameras--but the result is they show the delivery and someone taking it---so then what ?? In most cases it shows delivery so who are you going to chase. The cops will do nothing. Welcome to America
My Ring doorbell proactively tells me that there is activity near the door. So, I look at the app on my phone, see that a package just got dropped off, then get my neighbor to grab the package before the bad guys do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.