Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Loser
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family wants to try some snowshoeing this weekend. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go? Not looking for anything too strenuous but we would like to get a nice taste of the sport. I've heard that Emerald Lake in RMNP is decent. Would anyone recommend that or are there better places to go?

·
Pivot Rider
1,088 Posts
Winter Park has it all!

Follw this link: http://www.vacationsinc.com/guide-to-winter-park/winter-activities/snowshoeing/

Although it is a "vacation hot spot" website, it gives you links to a couple of my favorite snowshoeing places up in Winter Park. There are also some other trails up there that I've been to when with friends (locals). Couldn't tell you how to actually get to those since they were driving and I was just along for the ride (errr...the snowshoeing)! :D

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
If you have your own i would recommend Butler Gulch just below berthoud pass. IF you want to try some out i think REI does some demo days up at Echo lake, which is also a good place to go snowshoe. You might look at Chief mtn too up hwy 103.

·
Pivot Rider
1,088 Posts
PBR me! said:
If you have your own i would recommend Butler Gulch just below berthoud pass. IF you want to try some out i think REI does some demo days up at Echo lake, which is also a good place to go snowshoe. You might look at Chief mtn too up hwy 103.
Good call, PBRme! Actually, there are a couple of trails below Berthoud as you are heading towards WP. One of those takes you by an old mtn cabin. I think it's called Twin Trail ??? not sure! No matter which of these trails you choose, they are absolutely beautiful and well worth shoeing! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like to go snowshoeing up at Brainard Lake, between Nederland and RMNP. There are lots of trails to explore up there, many of which skirt along a number of beautiful frozen alpine lakes. If there are a lot of people up there when you go, which is highly likely on a weekend, just take multi-use trails instead of the more popular main snowshoe trail.

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
All of those places are great. We also go up to Henderson Mine which is at the bottom of Berthod Pass on the Empire side. Big parking lot and plenty of options to tackle. We take the dogs up and 2 hours later they are laid out for the rest of the day. Also, any of the trails around Montezuma are excellent as well as in Frisco and Breck.

Planning a full moon snowshoe trip on the 29th.

·
Loser
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I am leaning towards Bear Lake up in RMNP tomorrow. How well marked are these trails? I have a gps on order but UPS decided to forget to deliver it this week, so its not gonna be here for our trek. I really don't want to get lost with the family. Do I just enter RMNP from the Estes Park side and turn onto Bear Lake Road and follow that to the trailhead?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.