Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Long Distance MTB
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone that can recommend me a couple of good web sites for (trail) runners and or adventure racers? (Forums, Magazines, shops, whatever you use)

Regards,

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Long Distance MTB
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Spooler said:
Don't know what you're looking for but you should find it somewhere in there.
Spooler
Right now I am looking to start some trail running and I would like to know how to get started, about long trail runs and how to select and find good cheap shoes.

Latter I will go more into adventure racing.

Thank you for the links I will take a look

·
Registered
89 Posts
Unfortunately good shoes aren't...

cheap shoes. But you need good shoes to protect your feet/aknles etc. on the trail. It will help in picking the correct shoes if you have an idea of the type of trails you'll spend most of your time on. Different terrains can effect your decisions. For example, rocky trails = a more rigid shoe with stiff sole to protect feet from sharp rocks. Wet conditions = fast drying and aggressive lugs to grip. Stability versus speed. It goes on.

One of the links I posted (I don't remember which) has a good review of shoes from a AR perspective. Personally I run races in Salomon XA Pros because they dry so quickly and are pretty light. I'm not, however, in a particularly rocky part of the country so I don't need the protection that can make shoes clunky.

Your shoes are the most important piece of gear for AR - I am sometimes in mine for 24 to 30 hours non-stop. Bottom line advice is go to a reputable retailer that has people that run trails in your area and listen to them. Don't try to save a few bucks on your shoes and cause yourself pain (literally) down the road. Internet shop and save dollars on other pieces of equipment as you build your whole gear kit.

Good luck.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Go to a local running shop and get them to find a pair of shoes that "fit" you. And throw away the cheap shoe idea, there is no good running shoe that is cheap (I train with Asics 2100s -- $90/pair, and I go through a pair every one-two months). But yea, ask around with runners in your area, and see what shop they reccommend.

G

·
good cheap shoes
No such thing for serious runners.
If you have a Roadrunner Sports store nearby, they have shoes people have returned because they don't fit(they are a mail order place). The shoes aren't used, but you can get some really good deals on high-quality shoes.

·
Registered
324 Posts
trail running to ultras

At some point I would love to do an ultra. Check out ultrarunning.com, extremeultrarunning.com

I am reading a great book now on ultras and trail running. It's worth checking out, very inspirational. It is called Running through the Wall by Neil Jamison.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
rimugu said:
Right now I am looking to start some trail running and I would like to know how to get started, about long trail runs and how to select and find good cheap shoes.

Latter I will go more into adventure racing.

Thank you for the links I will take a look
BUY GOOD SHOES!!!! I happen to suffer from high arches and that plus construction work has caused me some VERY bad heel spurs over the yrs. Had the cortrazone(sp) shots and those helped for a number of yrs, but last summer the pain came back in my left foot. Plus knowing what I do now about cortazone, I wouldn't recommend it 'cept as a LAST resort. Short story after everything including non-ivasive surgery, I still have trouble out of it. Not as bad though. Listen to your body. If something feels funny in the knees, ankle, etc. Don't push it. Better to skip a day than hurt something and skip a couple months.

I usually buy mid range Adidas's running shoes (whatever is on sale at the time, something is ALWAYS on sale) and put inserts in them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.