Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some stats on 276 from Brevard to the Parkway. Wondering how far, how much elevation gain and other good info for a road ride...

Was thinking it would be a good ride (to say the least) to start at Davidson River, ride to the Parkway, head North and get off at the French Broad River (Just South of A-ville) and then either arrange for someone to meet me, or to take 191/280 back to Brevard.

Comments on this route (Is it safe?), and also wondering what the water situation would be. Seems like very few chances to get water until you get OFF the Pkwy. Can you refill at Little Pisgah Hotel? (Or whatever it's called). I think it would suck to have a camelback on for the climb up 276.

Any info, suggested routes or tips are appreciated. I have no idea when I'd do this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My advice would be to reverse the ride. Ride to parkway from Brevard via 280/South Mills/North Mills/Pennsylvania/191 and then climb on the parkway to 276. Descend into Brevard. This is a fun descent and I think that it is safer than climbing on 276.

Parkway climb is a good one. Take a light for the tunnels regardless of direction.

From 191 to 276 via parkway is approx 20 miles.

from parkway to Brevard via 276 is approx 18 miles

Brevard to 191 parkway access is approx 25 miles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with the previous post in their recommendation of direction. I was thinking around 60-65 miles to go all the way around. The main things to keep in mind (for me) is day of the week. I never ride up there on weekends due to the huge increase in traffic, especially during the summer. You'll have to ride on 191 for about 3 miles, but it goes by pretty quick. You'll also ride through 10 tunnels on the parkway, so a light is probably a good idea, although I never use one. The first 2 are pretty long and dark so have fun.
There aren't any water stops but you can stop at the Shell station on 191 and I think there's a little store near the Pisgah Inn. What I usually do is stuff an extra (disposable) bottle in my rear pocket then fill up my water bottle and toss the empty in one of the trash cans at the lookouts on the parkway. The parkway is a long grinding climb but once you get to Mt Pisgah its sweet downhill all the way to Davidson river.
If you're really feeling froggy, head south out of Brevard on 64, take 215 to the parkway and go north to 276. A little longer, and a little tougher but still a very sweet ride. Or combine them... :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks for the advice. I did not even think about a light, but I have a little commuter light that I would use to be seen. Good idea.

Weekday is smart too. I'll heed that for sure.

I'm suprised that you say to ride UP the parkway and DOWN 276, but it is worth considering. Not arguing (not at all), but my thought process is that climbing 276 would be a grind, but I'd get it out of the way, and have that LONG sweet downhill most of the way on the Parkway. To be honest, I'd be scared to death to decend 276 at speed with oncoming traffic. Parkway has better visability so I'd have more comfort decending at speed. I guess you're saying I'd be a sitting duck cranking along at 4mph while cars are motoring up around blind turns from behind me?

FWIW, I would not be alone, I'd be with one or two others. The only comparable climb I've done is Town Mountain Road, and I don't think that is comparable at all. Less distance/elevation, and definitely less traffic. I was solo on that one, I rode it up and back down.

Again, thanks for the replies. (I was guessing 40 50 miles, but it looks like I should be ready for a tough metric). Anyone know the elevation range?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm with you. I would rather climb steep and curvy like 276 and decend long and sweeping on the Parkway. But to each their own. I'm too big of a scardy-cat to ride on 191 and 280 so it's a mute point for me.

I do second the recommendation of ridign 215 up to the parkway if you've never done it. It's a hell of a climb.

I watched a guy get a ticket once for not having a light in a tunnel. I have also been fussed at for riding two abreast on the pkway. The Park Service or whatever it is has it's own rules.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.