Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

For a multitude of reasons, I am interested in moving to RI, preferably to Charlestown. I have relatives in the area, and I love it! Hoping to make the move as soon as feasible.

My biggest obstacle seems to be finding a job. My field is Graphic/Web/Information Design but I am willing to move into something else in the right situation. Been doing some construction on weekends, but unfortunately not skilled enough to look for full-time work doing that.

Right now I work for a federal contractor, and I know there are quite a few defense contractors in the Groton/New London area, but not sure how to 'break in' there. Was wondering if anyone on this board is aware of any good/reputable job placement agencies in RI, or if you have any other advice as far as finding work there.

Anyway, sorry for the spammy post, any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys thanks very much for the responses.

I did check out the EB site (as well as the others). What I've been finding is that there are no openings in my graphics design field--it seems that these jobs are few and far between. The EB site has a lot of good stuff on it, but unfortunately I am pretty sure that I am not qualified for any of the positions.

I'm coming from the metro DC area in northern Virginia. I do belong to a professional association which has a chapter in RI, so I'll see if I can get anywhere contacting them.

We're really dying to come up, but I've been looking (on and off) for years for a job up in RI and not having much luck.

I'm familiar with Burlingame, are there other places to ride in Charlestown? I've ridden Arcadia, pretty fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
EB does not require experence for any construction work, but there are not hiring to much at this time. I know construction work is not what your looking for but it could help get in and have an inside knowledge of job openings that do come up.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
georgewerr said:
EB does not require experence for any construction work, but there are not hiring to much at this time. I know construction work is not what your looking for but it could help get in and have an inside knowledge of job openings that do come up.
Actually I would love to do construction work--I just know most contractors won't hire someone as inexperienced as I am. I realize I'll be taking a pretty massive paycut no matter where I end up, my only concern is being able to support my family. I'd be very happy to do that working construction. I'll have to check the site again. I may shoot you a pm, as well.

I will likely be up visiting family again in the Spring (if I haven't moved yet) so at the very least hopefully I can ride with some of you guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.