Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some clients who have some trails they use to access points throughout their property on ATVs and UTVs. A couple sections are a mess: erodable soil, steep fall-line trails with deep ruts and earth-berm "water bars" that are starting to fill in as the mud oozes down the track.

They seem intent on just repairing these trails and moving forward. I'd like to offer them some advice as to how to make their trail system more sustainable (major reroute!) but my limited experience is all with singletrack, so I don't know how well our MTB trail-building techniques scale up.

Anyone have any suggestions for books/websites, etc where I could send them for good information as to how to make trails that will last and not end up muddying up the trout stream below?

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
I remember reading Wildfire's recommendation. Hopefully, you won't have to deal with permafrost!

·
Happy, in the woods.
251 Posts
The priniciples behind many of our mtb trail building techniques do scale up. Water doesn't know if its running down an atv trail or a mtb trail, its all just physics.

A reroute would be my first choice. You can't repair poor alignment any more than you can tell water to ignore gravity.

My second choice involves a few thousand dollars in heavy equipment, geotextiles, and aggregates. Through brute force, a little engineering, and tons of imported materials you could build a fall line segment that is relatively durable- Even if it requires periodic maintenance and is 5 times the cost of a simple reroute.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
As Thump suggested, I would do the a reroute with the appropriate grade, crown, and base.

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
FishMan473 said:
I have some clients who have some trails they use to access points throughout their property on ATVs and UTVs. A couple sections are a mess: erodable soil, steep fall-line trails with deep ruts and earth-berm "water bars" that are starting to fill in as the mud oozes down the track.

They seem intent on just repairing these trails and moving forward. I'd like to offer them some advice as to how to make their trail system more sustainable (major reroute!) but my limited experience is all with singletrack, so I don't know how well our MTB trail-building techniques scale up.

Anyone have any suggestions for books/websites, etc where I could send them for good information as to how to make trails that will last and not end up muddying up the trout stream below?
Here's another book that has a lot to say about ATV trails:

I couldn't find a web site but here's a mailing address:

State of Minnesota, Dept. of Natural Resources, 2007
"Trail Planning, Design, and Development Guidelines"
Trails and Waterways Division
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, Minn 55155-4052

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wildfire said:
Here's another book that has a lot to say about ATV trails:

I couldn't find a web site but here's a mailing address:

State of Minnesota, Dept. of Natural Resources, 2007
"Trail Planning, Design, and Development Guidelines"
Trails and Waterways Division
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, Minn 55155-4052
I'd have to look at this document, but the MN DNR really uses IMBA trail building principals in their books and it contains photos from our MORC (Minnesota Off-Road Cyclist) trails. We are opening up our first trail destination trail system this summer with the MN DNR at Cuyuna. The MN DNR and now many other local managers in our state are really into the sustainable trails thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts