Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GOD are some people IDIOTS!!! :madman: I have a job that I helped designed and we got the contractors cost estimate back. WELL over our guesstimate but not unusual. :rolleyes: Anyhow, when this happens we negotiate the price. So I'm talking w/ the electrical guy about some of the stuff he has in there. He says something like, well you've probably never done this kinda work before blah, blah, blah... :rolleyes: Even though I'm 35, I look young. I inform him that I have in fact done this type of work for some time before and during college and keep my Journeyman's electrician's license in West Virginia current. He starts laughing hard and says something like "West Virginia!?!? Do they even HAVE electricity there???" :skep: Needless to say, I'm less than amused. That's right. P1ss off the guy you're trying to BS your price too. :thumbsup: Well, to make a loooonnnnngggg story short, after nickpicking his cost estimate apart for 3 to 4 hours, he was NOT happy w/ me. Even made some comments about not wanting to negotiate w/ me again that I take as a compliment. :D

Now, don't get me wrong. I'll be the first to laugh at a good hillbilly joke and know that WV IS the butt of a lot of jokes, BUT when you poke fun of my credentials and my heritage like that in a "professional" environment w/ my coworkers there, it will NOT endear you to me.

So to those of you that might not realize this, let me enlighten (big word there) you:

1. Not everyone lives in a cabin.
2. Not everyone makes moonshine. davis you're an exception! :p
3. I don't sleep w/ my mom/sister/cattle and have never uttered the pharse "He's got a purdy mouth paw." w/o making a reference to Deliverance.
4. We have running water
5. We have electricity.
6. We have some GREAT mountain biking!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Thank you for the clarification.

Yup, we got lektricity, need it fer the kimputer.

·
Marathon Bicycle Company
27 Posts
Heck yeah man

Juat want to say way to stand up for ol WV. It is our time now. We are growing and becoming more attractive to all those around us to relocate and start a new life. WV time has come and before long he will be begging to get in on what we have to offer. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
crashedandburned said:
1. Not everyone lives in a cabin.
2. Not everyone makes moonshine. davis you're an exception! :p
3. I don't sleep w/ my mom/sister/cattle and have never uttered the pharse "He's got a purdy mouth paw." w/o making a reference to Deliverance.
4. We have running water
5. We have electricity.
6. We have some GREAT mountain biking!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
One question though: How many broken down cars and/or washing machines do you have to keep in your front yard at all times to retain your state residency? ;)

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
dcb said:
One question though: How many broken down cars and/or washing machines do you have to keep in your front yard at all times to retain your state residency? ;)
now that was actually funny :thumbsup:

when i went to the mtbr spring fling in arizona back in 2005 i met a guy who was a traveling nurse for the hospital who was originally from WV ... he told me how awesome it was back home and how yes yall got some awesome mountain biking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anytime I go on vacation, I always here. "You all have lots of farms and coal mines there in WV don't you?". I always just laugh and say that I guess.

Until 4 years ago when I started with my company, I had never even seen a coal mine. I have to travel to the coal fields regularly now. As far as farms. Never really been on one.

My absolute favorite people are the ones that don't realize that WV is its own state. Those are usually the first ones to make fun of people here.

All of that being said, I have seen and met some people in Mingo, Logan, Boone, and Lincoln that more than live up the the WV stereotype.

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
WV is great. Been riding at Spruce Knob and Cannan Valley....CV was nice, but, if you're familiar with the weather patterns there, you'll understand why that was the place where I discovered that my tent at the time didn't keep the water out.

There are no shortage of interesting people in that state. Some match stereotypes pretty well, but I think in general people there are pretty normal.

That's "normal" in a West-Virginny kind-of-way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Heck yeah WV has electricity...you dont think that orange extension cord running across the line from KY is just for looks...do 'ya! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
...yes, in 26 years I've heard them all. Whatever happened to originality?! It's always the same assinine comments too. Moreover, 90% of the time it's coming from someone who lives someplace I've visited and wouldn't go back if you paid me. As for MTB'ers who've ridden here, the trails speak for themselves, and so does the fine reputation of WV's MTB scene--say what you will about some of the less fortunate--just so long as you feel better about yourself in doing so is all that matters, right!? Point is I guess that everywhere you'll go there will be stereotypes (I needn't list them), but it's up to you to see the positive side of a locale...and have at least a little sense of humor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.