Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GOD are some people IDIOTS!!! :madman: I have a job that I helped designed and we got the contractors cost estimate back. WELL over our guesstimate but not unusual. :rolleyes: Anyhow, when this happens we negotiate the price. So I'm talking w/ the electrical guy about some of the stuff he has in there. He says something like, well you've probably never done this kinda work before blah, blah, blah... :rolleyes: Even though I'm 35, I look young. I inform him that I have in fact done this type of work for some time before and during college and keep my Journeyman's electrician's license in West Virginia current. He starts laughing hard and says something like "West Virginia!?!? Do they even HAVE electricity there???" :skep: Needless to say, I'm less than amused. That's right. P1ss off the guy you're trying to BS your price too. :thumbsup: Well, to make a loooonnnnngggg story short, after nickpicking his cost estimate apart for 3 to 4 hours, he was NOT happy w/ me. Even made some comments about not wanting to negotiate w/ me again that I take as a compliment. :D

Now, don't get me wrong. I'll be the first to laugh at a good hillbilly joke and know that WV IS the butt of a lot of jokes, BUT when you poke fun of my credentials and my heritage like that in a "professional" environment w/ my coworkers there, it will NOT endear you to me.

So to those of you that might not realize this, let me enlighten (big word there) you:

1. Not everyone lives in a cabin.
2. Not everyone makes moonshine. davis you're an exception! :p
3. I don't sleep w/ my mom/sister/cattle and have never uttered the pharse "He's got a purdy mouth paw." w/o making a reference to Deliverance.
4. We have running water
5. We have electricity.
6. We have some GREAT mountain biking!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
Joined
·
45,746 Posts
crashedandburned said:
My GOD are some people IDIOTS!!! :madman: I have a job that I helped designed and we got the contractors cost estimate back. WELL over our guesstimate but not unusual. :rolleyes: Anyhow, when this happens we negotiate the price. So I'm talking w/ the electrical guy about some of the stuff he has in there. He says something like, well you've probably never done this kinda work before blah, blah, blah... :rolleyes: Even though I'm 35, I look young. I inform him that I have in fact done this type of work for some time before and during college and keep my Journeyman's electrician's license in West Virginia current. He starts laughing hard and says something like "West Virginia!?!? Do they even HAVE electricity there???" :skep: Needless to say, I'm less than amused. That's right. P1ss off the guy you're trying to BS your price too. :thumbsup: Well, to make a loooonnnnngggg story short, after nickpicking his cost estimate apart for 3 to 4 hours, he was NOT happy w/ me. Even made some comments about not wanting to negotiate w/ me again that I take as a compliment. :D

Now, don't get me wrong. I'll be the first to laugh at a good hillbilly joke and know that WV IS the butt of a lot of jokes, BUT when you poke fun of my credentials and my heritage like that in a "professional" environment w/ my coworkers there, it will NOT endear you to me.

So to those of you that might not realize this, let me enlighten (big word there) you:

1. Not everyone lives in a cabin.
2. Not everyone makes moonshine. davis you're an exception! :p
3. I don't sleep w/ my mom/sister/cattle and have never uttered the pharse "He's got a purdy mouth paw." w/o making a reference to Deliverance.
4. We have running water
5. We have electricity.
6. We have some GREAT mountain biking!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Too funny! I really like the phrase "if there is a stan in it NUKE it".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
crashedandburned said:
My GOD are some people IDIOTS!!! :madman: I have a job that I helped designed and we got the contractors cost estimate back. WELL over our guesstimate but not unusual. :rolleyes: Anyhow, when this happens we negotiate the price. So I'm talking w/ the electrical guy about some of the stuff he has in there. He says something like, well you've probably never done this kinda work before blah, blah, blah... :rolleyes: Even though I'm 35, I look young. I inform him that I have in fact done this type of work for some time before and during college and keep my Journeyman's electrician's license in West Virginia current. He starts laughing hard and says something like "West Virginia!?!? Do they even HAVE electricity there???" :skep: Needless to say, I'm less than amused. That's right. P1ss off the guy you're trying to BS your price too. :thumbsup: Well, to make a loooonnnnngggg story short, after nickpicking his cost estimate apart for 3 to 4 hours, he was NOT happy w/ me. Even made some comments about not wanting to negotiate w/ me again that I take as a compliment. :D

Now, don't get me wrong. I'll be the first to laugh at a good hillbilly joke and know that WV IS the butt of a lot of jokes, BUT when you poke fun of my credentials and my heritage like that in a "professional" environment w/ my coworkers there, it will NOT endear you to me.

So to those of you that might not realize this, let me enlighten (big word there) you:

1. Not everyone lives in a cabin.
2. Not everyone makes moonshine. davis you're an exception! :p
3. I don't sleep w/ my mom/sister/cattle and have never uttered the pharse "He's got a purdy mouth paw." w/o making a reference to Deliverance.
4. We have running water
5. We have electricity.
6. We have some GREAT mountain biking!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yeah, but the question remains - how many teeth do you have?
 

·
1946:2006:2066
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
dumb question from a canuck

Since you have a North Carolina and a South Carolina
how come
you don't have an East Virginia and a West Virginia?

Seems a little uppity on the part of the coastal Virginians.

michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
What part of WV? I'm originally from Shinnston, near Clarksburg/Fairmont. I hear every "did you marry your sister", "bang you mom", "screw some sheep" joke on the planet. I laugh and it makes good fun in our office. Frankly, it doesn't bother me anymore...I guess I've become immune to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tank69 said:
What part of WV? I'm originally from Shinnston, near Clarksburg/Fairmont. I hear every "did you marry your sister", "bang you mom", "screw some sheep" joke on the planet. I laugh and it makes good fun in our office. Frankly, it doesn't bother me anymore...I guess I've become immune to it.
From around the Charleston area. Went to WVUIT in Montgomery. Was hoping to get w/ the FBI center in Clarksburg last yr when I saw an opening there, but it was not to be. having Coopers right down the road would've been sweet. Kanawha Forest about a 2 hr drive. :thumbsup:

Ah, like I said before, I like the jokes too. I was more insulted by him laughing off my credentials and thinking he could BS me w/ stuff like a $1000 for removing a panel cover and installing 3 circuit breakers. Or $10,000 for conduit (~ 100') supports via all thread, unistrut, bolts, spring nuts etc, when he can use bat clips and hang it from the structural steel. No he didn't get that money.

The contract hasn't been awarded yet. Now they go back and adjust everything as we discussed and resubmit it. If we don't like it, we reject it or go to someone else. We've told them on other jobs that we were not going to pay that much and they've told us they can't do a job for what we want. same ol same ol.

Drewdane: Funnypic!!:D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,057 Posts
FireDog46 said:
Since you have a North Carolina and a South Carolina
how come
you don't have an East Virginia and a West Virginia?

Seems a little uppity on the part of the coastal Virginians.

michael
From Wikipedia:

West Virginia is a state of the United States in the Appalachia region. West Virginia broke away from Virginia during the American Civil War and was admitted to the Union as a separate state on June 20, 1863 (an anniversary now celebrated as West Virginia Day in the state). It is the only state formed as a direct result of the American Civil War.
 

·
...idios...
Joined
·
5,662 Posts
I wouldn't usually do that kind of thing, but because it was the word that described what I was doing, I just couldn't resist!! Hope you realise that it was meant in the best humour?
 

·
Advanced Slacker
Joined
·
15,409 Posts
crashedandburned said:
1. Not everyone lives in a cabin.
2. Not everyone makes moonshine. davis you're an exception! :p
3. I don't sleep w/ my mom/sister/cattle and have never uttered the pharse "He's got a purdy mouth paw." w/o making a reference to Deliverance.
4. We have running water
5. We have electricity.
6. We have some GREAT mountain biking!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I can't help but notice that you only refer to yourself in #3.

But yes, there is great mountain biking. I have many good memories in WV (nothing like #3) and find it to be a beautiful place. Well, at least the parts where they are not bulldozing entire mountains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drewdane said:
It is the only state formed as a direct result of the American Civil War.[/I]
And if I remember my WV history right, some consider the way WV became a state illegal and thus not a state.

Back when the war was going on, WV did split off from Virginia. Since Virginia was a confederate state, Lincoln didn't recognize the "Virginia" government as the rightful ruling body, but did consider "western" Virginia the rightful government. "Western" Virginia had been trying to split from Virginia since before the war but in order for that to happen, the state had to give their permission. Virginia didn't want that split. So when "rightful" Virginia government (meaning the government in "western" Virginia that Lincoln recognized as the rightful ruling body) met, they simply voted themselves into statehood. 'Course this drew howls of protest from the confederate Virginia government, but there wasn't much they could do about it. That's why some consider West Virginia an "illegal" state.

Of course I might be wrong. Been a few yrs since I've taken a history course.
 

·
Advanced Slacker
Joined
·
15,409 Posts
crashedandburned said:
And if I remember my WV history right, some consider the way WV became a state illegal and thus not a state.

Back when the war was going on, WV did split off from Virginia. Since Virginia was a confederate state, Lincoln didn't recognize the "Virginia" government as the rightful ruling body, but did consider "western" Virginia the rightful government. "Western" Virginia had been trying to split from Virginia since before the war but in order for that to happen, the state had to give their permission. Virginia didn't want that split. So when "rightful" Virginia government (meaning the government in "western" Virginia that Lincoln recognized as the rightful ruling body) met, they simply voted themselves into statehood. 'Course this drew howls of protest from the confederate Virginia government, but there wasn't much they could do about it. That's why some consider West Virginia an "illegal" state.

Of course I might be wrong. Been a few yrs since I've taken a history course.
I guess they were smart enough to bail before the ship sank:D

It is somewhat ironic that WV was leaving VA for some of the same reasons VA was leaving the USA. The state was not representing their intrests, just as the federal govt was not representing VA's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
I live in Arlington (VA) and work in DC now, but I am a WV raised country boy and damn proud of it I might add!!! Born in Pittsburgh, but moved to the Philippi area in the early 80's. I get the same kind of treatment from my co-workers, yet not a single one of them has ever visited the state for any length of time.

Honestly, what I have learned in my time in the professional word is that those who can take jabs at the state and it's people are sadly misinformed and misguided themselves. People can poke fun of the state and how they think I lived all they want, but I know that my experience in WV has made me the successful project manager that I am due in part to the personal skills I learned from the folks in WV. I wouldn't trade my childhood experience of WV for a childhood in a major city or metropolis area for anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
crashedandburned said:
Well, to make a loooonnnnngggg story short, after nickpicking his cost estimate apart for 3 to 4 hours, he was NOT happy w/ me. Even made some comments about not wanting to negotiate w/ me again that I take as a compliment.
As an electrical contractor myself, I would have told you that you need to find someone else to do the job for you. From my experience, if it went like this in the negotiation phase, the actual job would be a nightmare. I've got better things to do (like riding) than haggle with people that think they know what they are talking about. :madman:
PS I love WV it's a great place for mountain biking with I-77 and I-79 being the only paved roads in the state;)
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top