Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Living the Dream
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I sold my Highline but the buyer wants me to ship to a different address than his Paypal Address to hide the bike from his wife. I was perusing through the Paypal seller protection policy, and the first criteria for seller protection is to ship to the address in the Transactions Details Page. I guess my instinct is to tell them that I need to ship to their registered Paypal address. Does this seem fishy to anyone? My wife and I have sold about 50 items on Ebay, and I think this is the first time that this has come up.
Thanks.

·
Living the Dream
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is my inclination

I am just afraid of some shady situation where the buyer comes back and claims they did not receive the frame and challenges payment & I am left SOL.

BTW, I saw you are from Chico. I grew up in Santa Rosa and my little brother played basketball for Chico State from 92-96. I love that area.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Alpenglow said:
I am just afraid of some shady situation where the buyer comes back and claims they did not receive the frame and challenges payment & I am left SOL...
That's why I would ship it with a receipt verification . He'll have a tough time arguing that he didn't receive it if UPS (for example) has got his signature.

Chico...yeah, cool town :) I'm goin' to State right now for graphic design...as you can tell by my age, I kinda got a late start (spent some time in the service and had a stint as a scenic artist in San Diego) . Better late than never tho!!

Where was that lunker of a trout caught?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sounds kind of shady to me. I'd only ship to a confirmed address. If they ask to ship to another, tell them to change their confirmed address w/ paypal prior to payment. Who know's who it goes to after it left your hands. I always use UPS for bigger items since they provide free tracking and you can ask for signature confirmation. And I always keep all electronic messages between the buyer and I until the transaction is complete and delivery is confirmed. Just be careful, people are always finding ways to scam. You can always call paypal or ebay about certain transactions... I have. Good luck

Alpenglow said:
I am just afraid of some shady situation where the buyer comes back and claims they did not receive the frame and challenges payment & I am left SOL.

BTW, I saw you are from Chico. I grew up in Santa Rosa and my little brother played basketball for Chico State from 92-96. I love that area.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Yep, if he wants, then have him wait 5 days for payment or something. If he's legit, he will wait.

I have spoken to people I've purchased from, as my US address was different from my shipping, a few towns away. I offered verification, phone number, and only had two sellers actually take me up on the phone offer. I had this arrangement for many years, and while my alternate address was on my CC, it was not reflected on Paypal's verification, though somehow, like 5 years later my shipping address started to show up as verified?

Anyhow, I had my alternate listed on paypal, and even as unverified, sellers did not have a problem with it so long as I emailed them before the auction close so I can be permitted to have my bid stand. I wouldn't expect a seller to follow through had I won the auction and then trapped them into sending it to me, at least to my billing, but I'm reasonable and that's not how the real world works.

·
Living the Dream
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He paid right away.

He used the buy it now function and the funds were immediately transferred to my PayPal account. If he would have asked prior to payment, I would have just said no. He left a message with order details asking me to call him with the address to send it to. I called him to see what was up, and he informed me that he didn't want his wife to find out about the bike. I am on the verge of sending a reply message telling him that I need to send this to his registered address or have him change his address. What pisses me off, is that if this does fall through or is illegitimate, is that he ended my auction by using the buy it now. Seems like I would be within my rights to ship this to the registered address and say tough luck. However, I probably wouldn't do that to risk them trying to F with my seller rating and for Karma reasons. Thanks for any advise.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
In another sale last spring, I sold a bike, but under highly different circumstances, and the guy whose bid I rejected (and offer off board) and tried to subvert the process using bullying, paid right away. He thought that was binding. It's only binding if we accept the funds, which we didn't. He threatened us, and I came close to accepting the funds on the last day just to annoy him, but he had to wait it out a month without his money, while begging to send it back. Can't send it back when I didn't receive the funds in the first place. He sent them and paypal had his funds, not me. I was 100% certain he was going to commit fraud, so we didn't sell the bike to him.

·
Registered
233 Posts
...if he paid pp cc, you could get charged back even if you remove the cash from pp.
large ticket items are best w/verified addy if you want some protection.
He could get the bike, call his cc co. and dispute in ANY event...FYI

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem shipping it to a different address. As long as he's already paid for it and the money is in your paypal account, just ship it with a signature required and you should be covered. I guess his wife just isn't as understanding as some, I get stuff shipped to my house with SSinga's name on it all the time :D

·
Living the Dream
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, the dude has 0% positive feedback since June 07.

This just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I wrote him saying that I needed to ship to his registered PP address or he needs to change his PP address. We'll see what he writes back.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Alpenglow said:
This just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I wrote him saying that I needed to ship to his registered PP address or he needs to change his PP address. We'll see what he writes back.
The buyer can change his verified address in paypal, this is actually quite easy to do.

I'd probably not ship a big ticket item to an unverified address, even with delivery confirmation, as you can't be sure the buyer will be the actual person signing for it (esp if it goes to a work address). You can require an adult sig on delivery, but you cannot specify who can and can't sign for it.

And if the guy wants to hide the bike from his wife . . . how is he going to get it home?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i use 2 shippin addys on my paypal acct. 1 for home, the other for work. both are entered in my acct but only my home addy is verified. in almost 6 years and 80 transactions ive never had a problem shippin to either 1. it should be east enough for yer buyer to add this 2nd addy to aliviate any future questions between you, him ebay and paypal. thats my suggestion.

·
Registered
179 Posts
power seller

Hey, you will be just fine, I have done this many times (both to me for purchases and to others for their products).

I was hesitant at first, and actually talked to ebay support, and they just recommended having confirmation for protection.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I am CSUC grad as well, and still have family there... Chico Rocks! What's Bear Hole and Bidwell riding like these days?

·
Registered
226 Posts
No big deal, if you have the money your good. I have asked sellers to send stuff to my work because I do not want packages sitting on my door step all day. The guy I sold my bike too he wanted to send it to the guy that was going to build it for him. Plus I feel for the guy trying to hide the bike from his wife. As long as the address isn't in another state I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.