Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my GF listed in the classifieds and all I get are mostly females (21" bike) from Denmark, Italy, and Holland wanting to buy the bike. Offers of more than asking price are common too. I just say to send the money and then I will let the bike go. But of course none reply. What is the deal? Are used bicycles that big of an illegal commodity? Those have to be scams :confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would wager that the majority of the interested buyers are in Nigeria and would gladly pay ten times the amount of the "blessed" merchandise if you would kindly just accept cashiers check from agent in the states. They will always pay you well above your asking price and then all you have to do is just take the difference out of your bank account and send it back to them via Western Union. What a deal, no?

Likely that bikes aren't such an illegal commodity, just that these scamming jokers will fish around on any classified site they can until someone bites. I hear it's real bad in the motocross world. I was selling a NRS that stayed up for about three weeks and I got about twenty emails from these broken english, god fearing folks. They are ruining it for serious cyclists in other parts of the world, IMO.

·
nobody
490 Posts
RobG said:
I have my GF listed in the classifieds and all I get are mostly females (21" bike) from Denmark, Italy, and Holland wanting to buy the bike. Offers of more than asking price are common too. I just say to send the money and then I will let the bike go. But of course none reply. What is the deal? Are used bicycles that big of an illegal commodity? Those have to be scams :confused:
Dude, you listed your Girl Friend in the classifieds?!?!? :D

Ha, ha. Just kidding.

Just a side note, these scams aren't just happening on MTBR. I emailed a guy about a bike from a local papers classifieds (ksl.com) and he told me that he already had an offer to sell the bike to a guy overseas so he'd let me know if anything changed.

Hearing "overseas" raised a red flag to me but I didn't know if it did to him so I politely told him about these types of scams just to warn him in case it turned out to be what it was. Anyway, the next day he sends me an email with correspondence from 2 different people from out of the country trying to hit him with the "cash this fake cashiers check and send the excess plus your bike to me" scam. Needless to say he was appreciative of the heads up.

I don't know what it is with these people. Are they just googling to find every on line classifieds board they can? It's sad really. It seems like ebay is the safest way to sell a bike online these days.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dude, you listed your Girl Friend in the classifieds?!?!?
My wife said she had to go :D

I figure if someone overseas wants anything as common as a mountain bike it must be a scam. I told them to send me cash and insure it for the amount, AND I will go to the bank to have it checked for authenticity, but amazingly none agreed :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.