Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To my fellow Mtn bikers. I bought my Santa Cruz Blur, Rock Shox Pike, wheels, tires, all sorts of things through Ebay. Got some good deals too. Well I bought a laptop computer from Gateway, then my old broken computer suddenly started to work again. I decided to sell the laptop on Ebay to try to recoup most of my costs. The computer cost $1838 with all the warranties. You can check out my auction here:

(Just enter that # into the entry box on E*bay and the auction will show up.)

Well, I had someone send the Buy It Now price to me via PayPal yesterday. The funds showed up in my account no problem. Last night I transferred the funds to my checking account. I shipped off the package at 4:55 today. At 5:25 I got an email from Ebay saying that the funds I tried to transfer were being withheld due to the possibility of the funds being "unauthorized". So they took back the funds I had tried to transfer. AHHHHH CRAP! I JUST sent the thing out. Well, to make a very long story short, I spent three hours driving around and chasing down UPS drivers, and eventually I got my package back. Now the good part. The Address the guy sent me was this:

Michael Mainzer
253 W. 18th St.
New York, NY 10011

In retrospect the warning signs were there, The account only exsisted for three days, the username (GinaWilson014) didn't match the shipping address, etc. BUT I figured that I already had the funds via PayPal, so I wasn't worried.

Well, what I want to know is what kind of neighborhood is this? Might this be the guys actual address? Any chance I can go there and *bend* his knees for him? Or turn it over to the cops? Anyone have any luck prosecuting this kind of guy? Thanks, I welcome inovative of evening the score too. I remember reading once about a guy who made the thief pay some sort of fees to pick up what he *thought* was a laptop but turned out to be a phone book or something. Anyone remember that? I thought it took place in Europe. Thanks to my mountain bikking community, you guys (and girls) are the best...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm..... the plot thickens...

So I do a quick Google search, and sure enough, his address hits and it's associated with a business, a metals company in NY NY. It also lists a couple of phone numbers. So, the big question is: How do I know that this was the guy who tried to rip me off, and not some mail room schmuck? I don't want to GET an innocent guy, but I do want to get the bad guy. Any suggestions??

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
BikeKilla said:
So I do a quick Google search, and sure enough, his address hits and it's associated with a business, a metals company in NY NY. It also lists a couple of phone numbers. So, the big question is: How do I know that this was the guy who tried to rip me off, and not some mail room schmuck? I don't want to GET an innocent guy, but I do want to get the bad guy. Any suggestions??
ask for the guy you are sending it to

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I work on 23rd and Madison

West 18th Street sounds like Chelsea, East 18th would probably fall in Gramarcy Park. I'll walk over at lunch and see exactly where 253 W. 18th is. Should be interesting. I'll also try to see if there is a Mainzer name evident but usually that is not the case or it would be on a mailbox in a locked lobby.

REV

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Your MTBR Detective at work.

"Well, what I want to know is what kind of neighborhood is this?"

Michael Mainzer
253 W. 18th St.
New York, NY 10011

253 W. 18th St. is in Chelsea halfway between 7th and 8th Avenues on the north side of the street across from Liberty High School. It is a four story brick front residential building with large white trimmed windows. As I suspected I could not get in the lobby to check for a name on the mailbox because of a locked black wrough iron gate blocking the way.

If Mr. Mainzer lives there, he is not poor.

Up to this point I didn't come to any conclusions but being across from a high school may be a cause for suspicion. Who knows if a student used the address hoping to pick up the package when it was delivered. However, I did not see any students and don't know if school is out for the year yet. Probably is.
Detective Rev..........
:cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

Well, according to the website I found here:

http://www.mfgquote.com/profiles/Global-Metals-47796.html#ratings

this scumbag (excuse this sidebar-I'm not going to put the actual name or address in here anymore- If It's put in enough, doing google searches will start directing it to THIS website- and I do not want even the possibility that he could trace ME back) works for a company that works in metal commodities. It lists phone numbers and email addresses. I'm going to give Mr. scumbag a call this afternoon and see if I can figure out what the hell is going on. Thank you very much Detective... umm... Revrend...friend.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so I called Mike and asked him about his recent Ebay purchases. Of course, he said that he had no idea. He sounded like an older guy, late thitires to mid forties. He gave me his actual ebay username which was pmp1012. I looked it up, and it said it was reistered in NY, but there wasn't any activity associated with it. I'm starting to think it wasn't him, and that it was either a resident in the building (more likely) OR a kid from the high school. Why would a highschool kid try to get it delivered across the street from school? It makes more sense for it to be IN the building. The box was pretty obviously a laptop and I required a signature for it to be delivered. There's no way a delivery guy is going to leave this outside a building. Mike said that the building was primarily residential, but that the company rented out the top floor for his company. In the ebay/paypal letter I recieved, the email address [email protected]. Anyway where do I go from here? Try to email him at the email address that was associated with the account and string him along? GODDAM THIEVES.

D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.