Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you all start thinking, it's a very specific and on-going thing since I moved in.

Anyway, I am not sure exactly what type of Lawyer I should contact or who. I need a Lawyer who will write a Cease and Desist letter to my neighbor who has continually harassed my family (most notably my 82 year old Mother-in-Law since we moved in. There's a lot more to this (including some unethical HOA stuff he did too - he is Treasurer). The other day he harassed my MIL when she went to get the mail. She was shaking all day and I had to deal with it on the phone during work.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. It's been three years of Hell from this bastard. There is nothing worse than an A$$hole neighbor.

I've called a bunch of local Real Estate attorneys but they don't deal with that kind of stuff. I have already fought the HOA once and I don't have the energy to do it again.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I would probably talk to a good criminal attorney first. I don't know one and am not in town so I can chk with my office folks, but I'm positive there are several good ones around. Sometimes, a letter from a criminal attorney will solve the problem.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,440 Posts
I'd contact Rontele at COMBA. He'd likely point you in the right direction. Either that or he'll just empty your wallet. ;)

·
drinks from the fountain
391 Posts
My father in Law was an attorney. On issues like this he said a nice letter will usually do the trick.
So you dont have to pay a retainer. You could even make your own with a fancy letterhead.

Fear works well too. You want for me to stop by with Moose and Rocco?
"I dont know Karate but I do know K RAZY! " James Brown

Seriously goood luck.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
I am an attorney and I do not want your case. However, the Colorado Bar Association has a "Find a Lawyer" feature I have referred people to before. http://www.cobar.org/directory/

Most attorneys worth anything, or at least, the ones you will want to work with, will talk to you and hear you out to decide if they can or should take the case before you pay anything. Before speaking with them, get a good idea of what you want and try to get all the facts straight. I only mention this because you said there's a lot more to this . . . The more you help your attorney out, the better representation you'll get and the cheaper it'll be. Don't be afraid to call several attorneys before picking one.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tmosebar said:
My father in Law was an attorney. On issues like this he said a nice letter will usually do the trick.
So you dont have to pay a retainer. You could even make your own with a fancy letterhead.

Fear works well too. You want for me to stop by with Moose and Rocco?
"I dont know Karate but I do know K RAZY! " James Brown

Seriously goood luck.
I tried the "nice" approach. I got the door slammed in my face. Then I got nasty. The result? $3500 in landscaping to block him, no basketball hoop for my kids, and he had to take his deer statue down from the front of his house (which I didn't really care about but it was to prove a point). Yeah, I got the $h!t end of the stick. It's very hard to deal with an a$$hat like that, especially when he is an officer on the HOA BoD. One that needs a 67% majority to replace. Oh, and did I mention that the homeowners need to be physically present in order to vote? The meetings are at 5:00PM. Good luck on that.

I am not a violent person, although he did try to jump over a table at me during an HOA meeting.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pabs said:
I am an attorney and I do not want your case. However, the Colorado Bar Association has a "Find a Lawyer" feature I have referred people to before. http://www.cobar.org/directory/

Most attorneys worth anything, or at least, the ones you will want to work with, will talk to you and hear you out to decide if they can or should take the case before you pay anything. Before speaking with them, get a good idea of what you want and try to get all the facts straight. I only mention this because you said there's a lot more to this . . . The more you help your attorney out, the better representation you'll get and the cheaper it'll be. Don't be afraid to call several attorneys before picking one.
Thanks for the advice and link. I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
944 Posts
schnauzers,

I sent you and email with a referral to a good friend (he's a mountain biker too!). I think he can be of assistance.

·
Registered
861 Posts
What a load of Kraap! Attorneys are about money and more money. A good attorney wants money! Oh did I tell you they want money??? And another thing! All this boa dtr krt mbd lostkm $hit is ruining America. Go pull your pants up.

OK I admit it! I'm a hypocrite. I just hate the A word.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
jimbowho said:
What a load of Kraap! Attorneys are about money and more money. A good attorney wants money! Oh did I tell you they want money??? And another thing! All this boa dtr krt mbd lostkm $hit is ruining America. Go pull your pants up.
nice job.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
If it wasn't for lawyers we wouldn't need lawyers. I heard that once. Nothing to add, really, just subscribing. I've had "Children of The Corn" neighbors before but never brought a lawyer into play. I just moved. Got great neighbors now.

You know what they say about neighbors? The best you can hope for is that they leave you alone. Anything better is just a bonus.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
HOA's are the devil.
Completely un-american to begin with.
have you tried getting the police involved? Harrassment, possibly assault... build your history.

·
MFin' Princess
5,488 Posts
Pau11y said:
Just two words: molotov cocktail
One word: move. :(

Or, let it all go and befriend him, somehow.

In this, if you're right you lose and if you win you lose. It's lose / lose proposition no matter the outcome of any efforts, any lawyering. Ultimately, what you want is to enjoy your home, right? Why dump time and efforts and energy into a guaranteed lose / lose situation?

I'd find any avenue for the win, and focus there.

Sorry to hear this, it would truly suck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
your mom in law fits the perfect fit for an elderly person at risk. Get the loca LEOS in with some complaints. Felonies and ****. That will help with the court order being next. Can't tyupe on pain kiillers. ****.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts