Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is is off topic. I went and hiked Longs Peak yesterday. Wow, what a mountain. I wasn't expecting that to be honest. I made it to the homestretch and literally 100 feet from the summit. It was just too wet and my wife and I was to tired to continue.

That was my third 14r. My wife made a real point that sort of stuck with me. She was surprised more people didn't die on that mountain each year. There is some technical aspects up there. I saw people hiking in gym shoes. Leaving the keyhole when the storm was rolling in.:madman:

I made it to tree line when all hell broke loose. It poured, lightning and thunder. I know people where still up there, totally exposed.:eek:

All I can say, What an experience. 13 hours of fun and my kees are paying for it today.:thumbsup:

Erik

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
That pretty much mirrors my first experience up there. Too many tourists think they can bag that tall mountain because its in RMNP. I've got zero interest in ever doing it on a weekend again...

bedell99 said:
I know this is is off topic. I went and hiked Longs Peak yesterday.
Wow, what a mountain. I wasn't expecting that to be honest. I made it to the homestretch and literally 100 feet from the summit. It was just too wet and my wife I was to tired to continue.

That was my third 14r. My wife made a real point that sort of stuck with me. She was surprised more people didn't die on that mountain each year. There is some technical aspects up there. I saw people hiking in gym shoes. Leaving the keyhole when the storm was rolling in.:madman:

I made it to tree line when all hell broke loose. It poured, lightning and thunder. I know people where still up there, totally exposed.:eek:

All I can say, What and experience. 13 hours of fun and my kees are paing for it today.:thumbsup:

Erik

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
It's okay to hike in gym shoes--if you know what you are doing.....Unless you are carrying a large pack, gym shoes are a terrific comfortable way to hike 14ers.

It's not having a jacket, sunscreen, food and not setting out early with no planning is the problem with some people.

And yes, I'm shocked more people don't die too. But then again, there are a lot of people on that trail so lots of help is available and there are a lot of back country rescues there that you don't hear about.

I think the fact that Longs is actually hard, weeds out a lot of the people at the Boulder field. Those distracting marmots get them to drift into fatigue.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
I've wussed out at the Keyhole a few times. Next time take the left to Chasm Lake. You get your scenic mountain splendor without the exposure. I love Chasm Lake. I think lidarman's got some killer shots of it. (hint hint)

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
yes, longs peak freekin rules. i get up it 3-4 times a year by various technical routes. earlier this year i did the keyhole route while it was still in winter technical conditions, it was freekin awesome.

always bring extra beer!!! a sixer is just NOT enough for two guys to spend 4 days on the diamond.

·
Registered
322 Posts
bedell99 said:
My wife made a real point that sort of stuck with me. She was surprised more people didn't die on that mountain each year. There is some technical aspects up there. I saw people hiking in gym shoes. Leaving the keyhole when the storm was rolling in.:madman:
Every time we climb a 14er, we think the exact same thing. Longs sure is a great mountain, no matter the route.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Someone fell & died on Longs just last weekend or so. Buddy of mine came across the body.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts