21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Don't believe the Hype...
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
MileHighMark said:
I [heart] parking garages.

</heart>
Sweet! I'm gonna have to give that a go soon. There is a little parking garage over by Coyotes stadium. Hopefully the Security is cool...

·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
MileHighMark said:
I [heart] parking garages.
Hey Mark,

How would rate/categorize my board? I know nothing about longboards or anyone that does. It's the only one I've ever rode, so it would be good to know what it's strengths and weakness are.
Here are the Specs.

Surf One
Pakala III

* Length: 43.75"
* Width: 9.25"
* Nose: 6.125"
* Tail: 7.75"
* Wheelbase: 25.625"
* Shape: SOC89
* Concave: KXL
* The Pakala 3 features a 7 ply hard rock maple deck pressed in Santa Barbara. The clear grip shows off its top and bottom wood grain graphic. The Pakala 3 as an assembly features Randal R-II 180mm trucks, Bones Reds bearings, Surf One Five Star 70mm X 78A wheels, 1/2' risers and 1.5" hardware.

Thanks

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
My only beef with those boards is that wheel clearance is a little poor. Not a big deal, per-se, but you end up with thicker risers, which raises the center of gravity. If you want to make the trucks turn a little easier/smoother, replace the cup washers with plain ol' flat washers. The latter constrict the bushings less, and allow them to compress more (easily).

·
Yeah, I ride 'em
26 Posts
There is a regular crew of South Mountain Hill Bombers. Too rich for my blood though.
I ride a Sector 9 Bomb Hills but drool over the Landyachtz boards. Sidewalk Surfer in Scottdale has a serious selection or check out thelongboardstore.com for online deals.

·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
SkateRock said:
There is a regular crew of South Mountain Hill Bombers. Too rich for my blood though.
I ride a Sector 9 Bomb Hills but drool over the Landyachtz boards. Sidewalk Surfer in Scottdale has a serious selection or check out thelongboardstore.com for online deals.
Yeah the Landyachtz look sick. I'm curious to ride other boards to see the differences. Will board shops let you test ride them? I can see really getting into this. Since I'm 20 miles from every trailhead, longboarding defiantly helps me stay sane until I can hit the dirt.

·
Registered
837 Posts
MileHighMark said:
While not as widely-known as Landyachtz, Fullbag makes some really nice boards. I have one in my quiver, and really like it.

hey mile high, what model of full bag deck do ya got? and what about it makes you stoked on it? i'm ready to get another deck for my quiver, and so am curious, thanx. also lucky B, check out mile high skates and hit silverfish longboarding.com forums. you can learn a lot about whats out there and check reviews for performance and longboard products. easy on! :cool:

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
BIGHORN LEW said:
hey mile high, what model of full bag deck do ya got? and what about it makes you stoked on it? i'm ready to get another deck for my quiver, and so am curious, thanx. also lucky B, check out mile high skates and hit silverfish longboarding.com forums. you can learn a lot about whats out there and check reviews for performance and longboard products. easy on! :cool:
That's the Speed Carver.

The board has lots of foot room, great wheel clearance, and is stiff w/o feeling "dead." And even with the drop-through mounting, it can still turn well (with the right trucks/bushings).

·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
MileHighMark said:
That's the Speed Carver.

The board has lots of foot room, great wheel clearance, and is stiff w/o feeling "dead." And even with the drop-through mounting, it can still turn well (with the right trucks/bushings).
Hey Mark, Would my current trucks ( Randal R-II 180mm) work with this board?

What the pros and cons from wider wheels? I'm haven't really found a FAQ for longboards...So I'm gonna bother you :thumbsup:

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
luckybastard said:
Hey Mark, Would my current trucks ( Randal R-II 180mm) work with this board?

What the pros and cons from wider wheels? I'm haven't really found a FAQ for longboards...So I'm gonna bother you :thumbsup:
Yes, your trucks will fit.

Wheel width has less to do with ride/performance than the wheel's profile, core size, edge type, and the particular urethane used.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you are just getting used to offramps and short downhills, then you don't need to join the yacht club with the rest of the yuppies. The best advice is to make sure youre trucks are tightened/loosened to your abilities and your wheels can handle road bumps at speed. Also, make sure your setup does not bump roll while hard carving. I like 180mm trucks, but if they are not the right height off your deck, it doesn't matter. Riser pads increase radius, and allow for better control of speed. The worst wrecks I have had came from my wheels rubbing the deck in a turn (bump roll).

Remember, it's not the board, it's the balls.

·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Pynis McDermott said:
If you are just getting used to offramps and short downhills, then you don't need to join the yacht club with the rest of the yuppies. The best advice is to make sure youre trucks are tightened/loosened to your abilities and your wheels can handle road bumps at speed. Also, make sure your setup does not bump roll while hard carving. I like 180mm trucks, but if they are not the right height off your deck, it doesn't matter. Riser pads increase radius, and allow for better control of speed. The worst wrecks I have had came from my wheels rubbing the deck in a turn (bump roll).

Remember, it's not the board, it's the balls.
Right on. Yeah I don't think I'll ever bomb any huge hills. I just want really good control when I have the dogs pulling me. Those lowered decks look better for pumping. Mine doesn't feel real fluid yet, but maybe it's just me since I never skated. Seeing all these different board designs makes you wonder how much different they handle.

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
Drop-through boards reduce the leverage and lower the center-of-gravity. That's generally preferred for high-speed riding, although plenty of DH riders/racers prefer conventional (i.e., "top-mount") decks. That's not to say that a drop-through can't be pumped, carved, etc. The Landy Drop Carve and Loaded Dervish both perform well for that type of riding.

·
Registered
837 Posts
hey mile high. could you please tell us what you feel are the best skate bearings, without going ceramic? brand and model? also what might you know about the orangatang 80a 75mm in-heats. i'm thinking of picking some up, do you stock these? thanx. hey lucky B! i love drop through and drop platform decks. way easier for my old muscles to push. they carve plenty fine IMO. after you know your hooked, go ahead and change things up by trying other types of boards ;)

·
Registered
837 Posts
hey mile high. could you please tell us what you feel are the best skate bearings, without going ceramic? brand and model? also what might you know about the orangatang 80a 75mm in-heats. i'm thinking of picking some up, do you stock these? thanx. hey lucky B! i love drop through and drop platform decks. way easier for my old muscles to push. they carve plenty fine IMO. after you know your hooked, go ahead and change things up by trying other types of boards ;)

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
BIGHORN LEW said:
"Best" is relative. It depends on whether you want max top-end speed, better acceleration, durability, etc.

The Bones 6-ball bearings have a greater top-end speed, which is good if you're doing a lot of DH with long(er) straight sections. Regular Bones Swiss are quick and extremely durable (if you clean/lube them regularly). For $35 you can get a set of Rush ceramics, which is a very good price.

The 75mm In Heats are very similar to the EarthWing 76mm Superball wheels. They're poured by the same company, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that they ride similarly. If you want a large, soft (they test softer than stated), grippy wheel, they're (both) a good choice.

Our site has real-time inventory, so if you see it, we have it.

·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
BIGHORN LEW said:
hey lucky B! i love drop through and drop platform decks. way easier for my old muscles to push. they carve plenty fine IMO. after you know your hooked, go ahead and change things up by trying other types of boards ;)
Well I am hooked...I take the dogs out every day and got to cruz Mission Beach in San Diego this weekend. That was very cool. I'm gonna keep my eye out for a drop deck for easier pumpin. The Pakala II seems the handle pretty sweet though. Compaired to bikes this is a dirt cheap habit :thumbsup:

·
Registered
630 Posts
luckybastard said:
Well I am hooked...I take the dogs out every day and got to cruz Mission Beach in San Diego this weekend. That was very cool. I'm gonna keep my eye out for a drop deck for easier pumpin. The Pakala II seems the handle pretty sweet though. Compaired to bikes this is a dirt cheap habit :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: Waaaaay cheaper - you got that right. Mission Beach is some of the funnest kick/push/carve flats out there. If you have confidence, you can carve around all the groups of people, and it is a blast. I remember doing that a few years ago and it was one of the highlights of my trip. If the bums notice you out there, then you know you have a few skills.

·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Pynis McDermott said:
:thumbsup: Waaaaay cheaper - you got that right. Mission Beach is some of the funnest kick/push/carve flats out there. If you have confidence, you can carve around all the groups of people, and it is a blast. I remember doing that a few years ago and it was one of the highlights of my trip. If the bums notice you out there, then you know you have a few skills.
If you buy the most expensive stuff out there, it might cost what $350? But can score a pretty sweet setup for $200.

Some dude had a little led headlight and some purple neon looking light underneth his board. Very cool for night riding...I might have to look into that since I run the dogs at night. SD has very well behaved bums. Tons of them, but none where asking for change...maybe because I look broke:thumbsup:

21 - 40 of 78 Posts