Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Don't believe the Hype...
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone do any longboarding? After riding the Mountain Board on the street, I'm really liking it and probably going to buy one soon. Any recs? I think I'm going to buy a huge one because I've never been a skater and want something stable since I'm probably gonna have the hounds pull me around...
 

·
wretch
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
Sector 9 or Tahoe Long boards. . . got some good shaped boards. . . I like a long one for bombing and carving as well as cruising, and a shorter more flexible one for short fast fun stuff and generally messing around.

Advice. . . get real comfortable on it before the hounds pull you around? I could just see that going wrong. It's been a long while since I've bought bearings and wheels, let along trucks but they have probably progressed some. . . different wheels for different riding styles and terrain, nice smooth bearings. . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Check out this place.

Try www.solidskate.com. They have an awesome selection at pretty good prices. I would look for a board with trucks made for a longboard, such as Randall's. These allow you to carve much easier. I've seen some of the Sector 9's with gullwings that have a dual grommet setup that also has quite a turning radius. Standard trucks on a longboard make for a very slow turning board.
Also, every now and then there are some pretty good deals on craigslist under sporting goods.
 

·
more beers, lees gears.
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
i have a buddy who makes super sexy, exotic wood longboards.



his site isnt done yet. but he hand makes about 6 boards a month, and has a small waiting list.
 

·
Don't believe the Hype...
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I bought this today....

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/spo/867159183.html

Holy crap it's fun...I always sucked on a skateboard and barely could snowboard last time I went 3 years ago. But I picked it up super fast. I'm sure riding my bike all the time helps a bunch with balance and leg strength. I road the hell out of it today. After playing around for about 20 minutes, I took Roxy out and hauledass. It's quite the rush. Then about 4:20, I went over to the Cardinals stadium and put on the headphones and crooozed around the parking lot until sunset. Nice and smooth, no traffic, slight hill for a little gravity power. Then I remembered seeing a bunch of Longboard paddel boarders in Kona and Hilo this summer .


So when I got home I grabbed a 6'6" bamboo pole from the garage and tried it. It was great, way faster and easier than kick'n. I can't wait to see how sore I'll be tomorrow from using all these unused muscles...
 

·
Don't believe the Hype...
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mattKHS said:
i have a buddy who makes super sexy, exotic wood longboards.



his site isnt done yet. but he hand makes about 6 boards a month, and has a small waiting list.
Nice, send me a link when he's get one. I like to support local artists.
 

·
Pivotal figure
Joined
·
6,361 Posts
I had a cool Comet 42" for a while. It only took me about one day to totally wreck myself on the hill I live on (took most of the skin off both palms, nearly broke my head and arms). I figured DH was MUCH safer so I sold that beast :sad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
I recommend Loaded, Never Summer, Arbor, or Gravity. All these are high performance. I wouldn't get anything too big if you're not going to be bombing actual hills. Smaller ones will still be plenty stable but you'll actually be able to push them and turn them. Make sure you get one with Randall Trucks instead of normal skateboard trucks. They're the standard for nice longboards, but your basic Sector 9 at Zumiez won't have them.
 

·
Shred...it's the new drug
Joined
·
3,844 Posts
+2 on the Tahoe Longboards. I have the little gun style with a small kick tail and it rocks! I was out in cali a couple weeks ago and did a little sk8in on the pb boardwalk and totally remembered how much fun it was! Now I wanna get out and do some more shredding. Anyone wanna meet up for some runs in tukee or out by the la sendas? Some night runs? We could all armour up like we're gonna rock a DH session just to be "safe"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
I'd definitely be down for bombing some hills Bob. Haven't done much skating since I moved back from Cali.

It's pretty easy to build your own longboard too, with some basic woodworking skills and tools. That's the route I've always gone, instead of paying big for the brand name. Try different boards out and see what characteristics you like, then incorporate that into your own deck. A good hardwood ply, with some sealant or oil based paint to keep the water out will last for years... especially in our climate. If you want to get fancy, you can use some fiberglass and epoxy on the deck, or make a jig to bend some arch or tail kick into it.

A good set of wide longboard trucks is nice, but you can get by using the Independents or whatever off a trick skate and just adjust the tension on the trucks to loosen the turning characteristics. You'll probably have to make a spacer for between the trucks and deck though, to avoid wheel rub. If you are bombing hills, or getting pulled fast by your dog, you don't want the trucks really loose anyways... leads to speed wobbles. :eekster:

Oh and as far as advice... if you are going fast and you think you might wreck, just stay low, hang on and ride it out. It almost never ends up better when you step off. And front foot on the front truck for speed carving.
 

·
Ride Everything
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
Independents will be OK if you de-wedge them, but they won't have the stability that's inherent in reverse kingpin trucks like Randal, etc.

Also, be sure to wear safety gear. It's really easy to quickly get in over your head, and the results are rarely good. Learning to slow down (foot-braking, safety slides, etc) is the most important skill to acquire.

Disclaimer: I sell longboards (milehighskates.com).
 

·
Don't believe the Hype...
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
latedropbob said:
+2 on the Tahoe Longboards. I have the little gun style with a small kick tail and it rocks! I was out in cali a couple weeks ago and did a little sk8in on the pb boardwalk and totally remembered how much fun it was! Now I wanna get out and do some more shredding. Anyone wanna meet up for some runs in tukee or out by the la sendas? Some night runs? We could all armour up like we're gonna rock a DH session just to be "safe"
I'm going to San Diego for my Birthday this weekend, can't wait. Bringing the bikes and the board. I was towing my son around with my bike and he loved it.

I'd be down after a couple weeks of practice for some mild stuff. I need to get some pads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
I am about 5 years removed from college life at NAU, but my buds and I would bomb down all the roads in Flagstaff. We would use my friend's truck to slow traffic while we boarded our favorite streets (in traffic):thumbsup: . My most epic ride was nearly a mile long down a section of Snowbowl Road - I got up to 40 mph - stupid, now that I think about it, but what a freaking rush!!!!:D I love to longboard, but part of the thrill has to be that if you fall, you are probably going to get hurt. Soooooo, pads are a responsible idea.

We took an old board and customized it. I highly recommend some type of longboard trucks, but you will likely need to get a bunch of risers to pick up the radius on whatever board you choose.
 

·
Don't believe the Hype...
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Pynis McDermott said:
I am about 5 years removed from college life at NAU, but my buds and I would bomb down all the roads in Flagstaff. We would use my friend's truck to slow traffic while we boarded our favorite streets (in traffic):thumbsup: . My most epic ride was nearly a mile long down a section of Snowbowl Road - I got up to 40 mph - stupid, now that I think about it, but what a freaking rush!!!!:D I love to longboard, but part of the thrill has to be that if you fall, you are probably going to get hurt. Soooooo, pads are a responsible idea.

We took an old board and customized it. I highly recommend some type of longboard trucks, but you will likely need to get a bunch of risers to pick up the radius on whatever board you choose.
Man, I bet Flag would be great. Snowbowl road? Thats nuts! You would have to do some serious carving to slow down on that.

It's all pretty flat around my house so I haven't bought any pads yet. When the dogs pull me, I wear a helmet and gloves. I need to score some before I hit any big hills.
 

·
Don't believe the Hype...
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Silent Sunday at SoMo?

When is silent Sundays at Somo? I bet that would be great. I'll probably stick to the foothills at first though. Are the roads fairly smooth? I haven't been in a while...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
yeah, longboarding is primo. i have three of them. mostly into carving and cruising. you said balance is better from bik'n, and thats true. but i have noticed the longboarding helps my bik'n balance as well. they aint no skateboard! my ID on silverfish longboarding forum is SMOOTH GLIDE, which is how i like my boards to ride. now let's roll :cornut:
 

·
Wait, what!?
Joined
·
742 Posts
I actually took booth of mine to Dreamy Draw a few weeks ago and had a good time just messing around the paved path there. Used to ride down the Squaw Peak road, from top to bottom, before they put in the newer speed bumps. We did it at night and always had a buddy at the bottom in my truck to slow us down. Freaking high school days, haha.
 

·
Don't believe the Hype...
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BIGHORN LEW said:
yeah, longboarding is primo. i have three of them. mostly into carving and cruising. you said balance is better from bik'n, and thats true. but i have noticed the longboarding helps my bik'n balance as well. they aint no skateboard! my ID on silverfish longboarding forum is SMOOTH GLIDE, which is how i like my boards to ride. now let's roll :cornut:
Right on, I really dig the carving. I don't know if I'll ever get into bombing the super steep stuff like South Mountain...On the way to dinner at Westgate tonight. I brought my board and had my wife drop me off on the top of the Maryland overpass and carved my way down that :thumbsup: Pretty fun, that was my biggest hill in my 5 day longboarding career. It's perfect for a noob, super wide and no traffic.

We should plan a group ride one of these days. Anyone interested, just holla!

Ryan
 
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Top