Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our secretary's computer has been having a very annoying problem occurring in MS Access.

I'm not sure if I'm describing this correctly, but here goes.....

She will be inputting data, when all of a sudden it gets locked or frozen on a cell. She is able to move to other cells using arrow keys or the mouse and those other cells get "highlighted" with that locked/frozen cell as the "base" cell.

Believe me....if I could show it to ya', what I just typed makes sense.

Anyways....any clue as to what is happening? What she has to do is reboot the computer and the problem goes away for a while and then it will unfortunately happen again and again and again throughout the day.

Thanks

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,767 Posts
BelaySlave said:
Our secretary's computer has been having a very annoying problem occurring in MS Access.

She will be inputting data, when all of a sudden it gets locked or frozen on a cell. She is able to move to other cells using arrow keys or the mouse and those other cells get "highlighted" with that locked/frozen cell as the "base" cell.

Anyways....any clue as to what is happening? What she has to do is reboot the computer and the problem goes away for a while and then it will unfortunately happen again and again and again throughout the day.

Thanks
And your asking this question on a mountainbike forum because? I have been trying to get my dog to take a crap in the same 10'x10' section of lawn for some time now. Do any of you have any suggestions?

·
45,767 Posts
BelaySlave said:
You did see the "OT" in the title of my thread right?
Oh yeah "off topic" sorry my bad. I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.:D

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
And your asking this question on a mountainbike forum because? I have been trying to get my dog to take a crap in the same 10'x10' section of lawn for some time now. Do any of you have any suggestions?
tell him not to
my dog allways does what I tell him not to do

I'm curious, why would you post a question about Ms Access in a Mtn Bike forum

·
45,767 Posts
dan0 said:
tell him not to
my dog allways does what I tell him not to do

I'm curious, why would you post a question about Ms Access in a Mtn Bike forum
Can you calm down your avatar long enough for me to concentrate on aswering your question?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
BelaySlave said:

Thanks
It could be a bug in the software. Have you tried re-installing Access? NOT an entire system re-install, JUST Access. Give it a shot.

Might be a good idea to save the associated files. You know, just in case.

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,899 Posts
It could be a number of problems.

My first suspision would be the mouse. Make sure the drivers are completely upto date. Try a replacement to rule this possibility out.

Second, try mapping the highlight function to a different key. Try a different keyboard (same as mouse step above)

Third, let the program sit running after opening a file. Don't do work with it at all, just let it sit. Come back later and see if the problem is asserting itself. If it is you most likely either have some type of malfunctioning peripheral, resource allocation conflict, or the program has somehow become slightly corrupted.

If you have to reinstall the program, do so to a different file path from the original.

·
1946:2006:2066
1,458 Posts
Mouse Properties ClickLock

If you are running XP ( older OS's may have it as well I don't remember ) make sure
"ClickLock" is turned off on ControlPanel/MouseProperties/Buttons:ClickLock.
If it is turned on it can cause exactly what you are describing.

If you are running an older OS and ClickLock can't be found in mouse properties,
when it happens try a quick but firm single left click to clear the drag&highlight.

If you are running a really old OS and MS Access then you have run into a bug.
Used to happen to me running NT 4.0 with Visual Studio 4.0. But I didn't
have to reboot to get rid of it. just re-start the app. When I migrated to
Visual Studio 6.0 it disappeared.

michael

·
Registered
520 Posts
So I haven't been to the forum since it got cold up here. Decide to pop in, and what do I read first? A thread about Access.... :madman:

I'm betting she spends most her day in access. Her CTRL button sticks. replace her keyboard.

BelaySlave said:

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm assuming that this Access database is just on the employee's workstation and not on a shared server (where multiple users can have it open at the same time). Thus, the next time Access locks up, give the PC the 'three-fingered salute' (CTL-ALT-DEL), then enter task manager and see if the application can be closed from there. I'm betting that the application is not-responding (even if task manager shows it is) for some reason. There are also a couple of function key combinations, that if pressed by accident may cause similar problems (they involve the CTL, SHIFT or ALT keys) if you 'fat-finger' your typing. All that assumes that the problem is not mouse driver related. ;)

·
Registered
11,774 Posts
the lock is in the docs macro..

weve had this same problem with excel. it could be instigated with a random key stroke unknow to the user or intentionally added by the author as a security measure. What weve found is the best way around it is to cut and paste the cell formats and start over in a new doc.

Another idea is that you could have a release/version conflict between computers..

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Access has some serious memory issues. How much memory does the computer have? What version, 2003? Is this a local database or ODBC? Direct data entry into a table or through a form? If a form, is it a standard data entry form or custom VB? What size is the db? Do you compact on close (<--highly recommended, see Options)?

p.s. I agree you might have some more luck one of the many MS Access forums.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.