Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the backstory on this is that Volcom has had an online contest going for a while now where the first person to capture themselves doing a kickflip on video gets $10,000. It's a bit more complicated than that as there are some rules associated with it but this is without a doubt the first landed, ridden and documented kickflip in surf history. Shot in Santa Cruz on Friday...

If you have ever attempted a kickflip on a skateboard (or an ollie for that matter) you should appreciate how insanely ridiculous this is.

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
sweeeet

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Realistically, I think the next move will be a kickflip to grab, which would be so sick. The challenge is getting out of the lip enough to get a little more air. I love the infusion of skate tricks into surf. Funny, since skateboards were born from surfing.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K-max said:
Realistically, I think the next move will be a kickflip to grab, which would be so sick. The challenge is getting out of the lip enough to get a little more air. I love the infusion of skate tricks into surf. Funny, since skateboards were born from surfing.
Yeah, one of the contest rules was no grabs what so ever but that's just the contest. I think peoples reaction to this is very interesting. I've read quite a few comments from e-surfers talking about how this is weak and has no place in surfing. I guess some people just want to watch turns and cut backs forever but I don't surf so what do I know. He almost pulled it during the Coldwater Classic back in October and the online announcers had no idea what to make of it. The thing about it to me coming from skateboarding is that you can just stand there on the sidewalk and try kickflip after kickflip until you land it but you can't really do that in the water. Not to mention that a surfboard is much larger/heavier and you're not wearing shoes.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Volcom has released their official judgment for Santa Cruz’s Zoltan Torkos’ Friday kickflip and the word is “No.”
Sighting official Rule #3: “The kickflip must be a real air ‘above the lip’ – No backwash, No chop hops, or anything in the flats or below the lip of the wave,” the judges have said no cash for Zoltan.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TahoeBC said:
Volcom has released their official judgment for Santa Cruz's Zoltan Torkos' Friday kickflip and the word is "No."
Sighting official Rule #3: "The kickflip must be a real air 'above the lip' - No backwash, No chop hops, or anything in the flats or below the lip of the wave," the judges have said no cash for Zoltan.
Yep. Here is the official statement from Volcom.

Personally, I think it's kinda weak as they've had this contest since 2007 and no has been able to do it. Then someone finally lands it and they site a technicality and say no. If this was one of their sponsored guys I can almost guarantee they'd have signed that check immediately.

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
TahoeBC said:
Volcom has released their official judgment for Santa Cruz's Zoltan Torkos' Friday kickflip and the word is "No."
Sighting official Rule #3: "The kickflip must be a real air 'above the lip' - No backwash, No chop hops, or anything in the flats or below the lip of the wave," the judges have said no cash for Zoltan.
"Zoltan Torkos"?!? Really?!?

That's it, I'll never be cool enough for surfing. Best I give up now and stick to the mountain bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.