·
XCdude
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and teacher definetly not fast food.

·
Uber V Cripp
222 Posts
I used to shop at the same grocery store as her. Star Market in Porter Sq Cambridge MA. Onetime she had Spam in her cart. I never forgave her for that......

·
XCdude
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey everybody has a weakness, she also loved Mcds

jdcamb said:
I used to shop at the same grocery store as her. Star Market in Porter Sq Cambridge MA. Onetime she had Spam in her cart. I never forgave her for that......
fries, actually before they went to the all veggie oil. What she did for cooking will go on. Now I have Jacque Pepin, and a few other great chefs/cooks. ;)

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
au contraire.....

As mentioned, she did love her McD's fries. She wasn't a follower of fads, especially not the low fat craze when that came about. While other chefs were grilling vegetables, she kept on keepin' on with steaks and martinis. Though SPAM seems to be pushing it!!

My uncle used to say, "All her recipes follow the same format: 'Take a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, a dozen eggs, and a bottle of white wine. First, mix the butter and sugar. Then, have a glass of wine. Then have another glass of wine. Add the dozen eggs to the butter and sugar. Have some more wine.....'"

Seriously, though, she was a jolly old soul with a super-efficient, no-frills kitchen (now in the Smithsonian.) Stuck to the French classics and preached total adherence to a recipe. No low-fat versions or ingredient substitutions for her!

I hope they re-run Dan Ackyroyd's imitation....... :D

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
jdcamb said:
We used to go to her butcher shop (can't remember the name of it) and her fish store--Legal Sea Foods.

If you asked for something to be cut up the way they did for Julia, they would do it.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Many don't know this, but I'm told she was a war hero in the OSS in WWII. Yes, she will be missed.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
yup

Her original aspiration was to be a spy. Then she met her chef-husband, picked up the interest in cooking, attended the Cordon Bleu, and formed a partnership with a couple of guys there to.....to......either do the book or the show, or both. I forget.

Makes me feel a little better about my own zigzag career path :)

·
XCdude
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats the reason I love her cooking and her whole

Christine said:
As mentioned, she did love her McD's fries. She wasn't a follower of fads, especially not the low fat craze when that came about. While other chefs were grilling vegetables, she kept on keepin' on with steaks and martinis. Though SPAM seems to be pushing it!!

My uncle used to say, "All her recipes follow the same format: 'Take a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, a dozen eggs, and a bottle of white wine. First, mix the butter and sugar. Then, have a glass of wine. Then have another glass of wine. Add the dozen eggs to the butter and sugar. Have some more wine.....'"

Seriously, though, she was a jolly old soul with a super-efficient, no-frills kitchen (now in the Smithsonian.) Stuck to the French classics and preached total adherence to a recipe. No low-fat versions or ingredient substitutions for her!

I hope they re-run Dan Ackyroyd's imitation....... :D
out look about life, so wonderful maybe more to there than just cooking. ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Julia was not a good "chef"

moab63 said:
and teacher definetly not fast food.
Julia insisted she was not a chef, but rather a cook....
She never wanted to cook in a restaurant.
In fact, as a girl and young woman she knew nothing about cooking because being raised in a relatively wealthy family, neither she nor her mother did any cooking. They always had a cook.

It was only after marrying that in order to please her husband, and while having the good luck to be stationed with the OSS in Paris, that she attended the Cordon Bleu and found out she was a natural and loved it...

She was earlier also stationed in Ceylon..(Sri Lanka)..

I heard a person who knew her quite well over that past 20 years and he said she never missed a chance to make it over to IN-N-OUT Burgers even in her later years......She loved them..
Another interesting fact.....
She not only went to Costco.....but loved their hot dogs.......
I've never tried them, but will do so in the future.
Anyone else like them?

She was so unaffected....completely natural....and straight foreward...

And 6 ft 2 in tall......... .wow!

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Indeed, she had a great outlook on life. Making it to 92 (just about) on a fairly rich diet..... hey how old was Jim Fixx when he passed away? She lived twice as long as some atheletes.

I love how one news report said that one of her French chef pals asked her which she preferred to take on a picnic, red or white wine? She replied, "I like beer," and pulled out a couple of cold ones! :D

Funny, I just made my first spinach pie, and it was probably still cooling when I heard the news. Gave a few pieces to my sister and explained, "I dedicate this spinach pie to her memory." Because I'm not much of a cook, but I had fun making it. She thinks I'm nuts.

·
XCdude
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About the dogs, my wife loves them actually I think is

Chester said:
Julia insisted she was not a chef, but rather a cook....
She never wanted to cook in a restaurant.
In fact, as a girl and young woman she knew nothing about cooking because being raised in a relatively wealthy family, neither she nor her mother did any cooking. They always had a cook.

It was only after marrying that in order to please her husband, and while having the good luck to be stationed with the OSS in Paris, that she attended the Cordon Bleu and found out she was a natural and loved it...

She was earlier also stationed in Ceylon..(Sri Lanka)..

I heard a person who knew her quite well over that past 20 years and he said she never missed a chance to make it over to IN-N-OUT Burgers even in her later years......She loved them..
Another interesting fact.....
She not only went to Costco.....but loved their hot dogs.......
I've never tried them, but will do so in the future.
Anyone else like them?

She was so unaffected....completely natural....and straight foreward...

And 6 ft 2 in tall......... .wow!
the only real reason that we have membership, I like them too. I do love the in and out burgers. About Jim Fixx, he was 51 I think or so nice guy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts