Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been intermittent fasting with my wife since Mid March. We eat normally on weekends because of social pressure but during the workweek we only eat dinner. No breakfast or lunch. It's fantastic, I've lost 15 pounds so far.

So on weekends when I'd leave in the morning to ride I'd bring a few powerbars with me and skip breakfast. I'm able to do 20 miles of MTBing without any issues. Drink tons of water and have the power bars with me in case I get deleriously hungry. But so far I'm totally fine and don't need to eat anything. I think if I had the whole day or weekend to myself I could probably do 50 miles fasted.

Why would I want to do this? Initially it was just an exercise in discipline but fasting actually makes me feel really sharp and focused. Skipping lunch is such a great time saver at work. And when I eat dinner I can pretty much eat whatever but I try not to go crazy. Also I never really get hungry anymore. I mean I do get hungry but it's not hands shaking "OMG I'm going to die if I don't eat something soon" hungry. Has made life so much easier. Can just roll out of bed and go.

And I don't poop as much. About 1x a day as opposed to 3x a day. Not a big deal but another couple minutes saved.

Anyways just curious if anyone else had tried fasting? Most of you guys are probably already at peak performance so you probably don't need to diet much. But if you want to lose a few pounds and feel super sharp and efficient perhaps try fasting. Easiest diet method I've ever tried.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
This is pretty much my natural eating cycle throughout the week, I don't eat much except a big dinner. But I always need to have something in my stomach if I'm riding. Riding on an empty stomach almost always guarantees a migraine for me.

·
Nobody
711 Posts
I'm down to try this. I can't ride due to injury, so worth a shot for a month to see what happens. Are you off the booze, completely or drinking on the weekends?

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
My best bud, Mark59 is on it and swears by it. We rode Pinecrest and he ate a couple figs and kicked our ass all day. I think he's 56 years old. Personal Trainer by trade so he knows his stuff.

G

·
I've been intermittent fasting with my wife since Mid March. We eat normally on weekends because of social pressure but during the workweek we only eat dinner. No breakfast or lunch. It's fantastic, I've lost 15 pounds so far.

So on weekends when I'd leave in the morning to ride I'd bring a few powerbars with me and skip breakfast. I'm able to do 20 miles of MTBing without any issues. Drink tons of water and have the power bars with me in case I get deleriously hungry. But so far I'm totally fine and don't need to eat anything. I think if I had the whole day or weekend to myself I could probably do 50 miles fasted.

Why would I want to do this? Initially it was just an exercise in discipline but fasting actually makes me feel really sharp and focused. Skipping lunch is such a great time saver at work. And when I eat dinner I can pretty much eat whatever but I try not to go crazy. Also I never really get hungry anymore. I mean I do get hungry but it's not hands shaking "OMG I'm going to die if I don't eat something soon" hungry. Has made life so much easier. Can just roll out of bed and go.

And I don't poop as much. About 1x a day as opposed to 3x a day. Not a big deal but another couple minutes saved.

Anyways just curious if anyone else had tried fasting? Most of you guys are probably already at peak performance so you probably don't need to diet much. But if you want to lose a few pounds and feel super sharp and efficient perhaps try fasting. Easiest diet method I've ever tried.
If your taking 3 dumps a day, I would think that yer eating way too much...or you have food poisoning. I usually take a crap about every three days...I'm skinny and drink a lot of beer :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you start by following a specific regimen or did you work out a method by trial and error?
No specific regime. I started because my coworker fasts on Thursdays for religious reasons. I thought it was interesting and was curious if I could do it. I used to barely go 30minutes without eating/drinking something. So I started slow. Pushed lunch out from 1130 to 2PM then 3 pm then skipped lunch altogether. Felt great so tried a 24 hour fast and then a 72 hour fast and then a 96 hour fast. All a few weeks apart.

The IF thing started because my wife wanted to fast with me buy wasn't sure if she could go a full day+

So far we have been feeling incredible. Saving money is kind of a bonus but the time savings and not ever being super hungry is the best part.

Note:. Even though I fast I still drink black coffee. It's been instilled into my daily routine and I've kept the habit.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your taking 3 dumps a day, I would think that yer eating way too much...or you have food poisoning. I usually take a crap about every three days...I'm skinny and drink a lot of beer :)
Oh I was definitely eating too much food. I think I could have held it and got down to 2 craps a day. But playing with my phone on the crapper has become routine.

I don't understand how you could only crap every 3 days and be eating normally. That's seems very odd to me. Even worth 1 meal a day I still take 1 crap a day. Sometimes I can skip a day if I eat a light dinner.

Also:. My wore has been doing superfood Thursdays because the farmers market comes to her work. She been making these crazy dandelion kale salads. They taste terrible at first but after a few bites the dandelions taste good. It's weird. And yes these are the same dandelions that grow as weeds on your lawn. I didn't even know they were edible.

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
Kind of moving in the opposite direction, I recently started using Tailwind Nutrition Endurance Fuel during my rides instead of plain water. It's a huge help on anything over two hours and I actually dropped 30 minutes off my time on a loop that normally takes me 3.5 hours.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yep, I'm on it, was doing 16hrs off/ 6 hrs on now I'm 20hrs off/4hrs on and I feel fantastic. First couple of weeks were hard, but now I don't get hungry. I'm in the best shape of my life, down 45lbs since September.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Oh I was definitely eating too much food. I think I could have held it and got down to 2 craps a day. But playing with my phone on the crapper has become routine.

I don't understand how you could only crap every 3 days and be eating normally. That's seems very odd to me. Even worth 1 meal a day I still take 1 crap a day. Sometimes I can skip a day if I eat a light dinner.

Also:. My wore has been doing superfood Thursdays because the farmers market comes to her work. She been making these crazy dandelion kale salads. They taste terrible at first but after a few bites the dandelions taste good. It's weird. And yes these are the same dandelions that grow as weeds on your lawn. I didn't even know they were edible.
Do we need a meals and craps per day poll?

G

·
Sorry, but I couldn't resist on modifying my daily crapper schedule, for your thread...I'm a "daily doodoo" kinda guy :p

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.