Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone on line and done my research, but I have yet talked to someone who has used an infrared bbq. If you have used both, which do you prefer. My gas grill is rusted out to the point that it is dangerous to use (gas leaking out of the burners and connectors, smell of propane gas and flames coming out places that it should not come out of). I do have a Webber kettle for charcoal/wood grilling, but like to have the gas grill for the days when there is a lot of meat to cook.

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
I've preferred the normal gas burner. Of course those were big heavy cast stainless steel burners that held a lot of heat in...
The IR burners are nice for a sear station so you can sear the outside of a steak/chicken/fish/whatever and then move it over to the normal burner on high to start cooking, then cranking the normal burners down to low to finish the cooking and keeping all the delicious meatness inside.

I've been able to do low temp cooking on an IR burner, but its tricky and has a learning curve that is filled with lots of under/over cooked food. If a bbq store has one of the viking or lynx grills that has an IR burner, it would be worth seeing if they have a demo day coming up to see if you could get some time cooking on one.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I'm a charcoal guy, but would make the switch to it if I get the chance. 2 minutes on each side for steaks, then a couple minutes on a cooler part of the grill and it tastes just like a steakhouse. Have used it a couple times, and its hard to beat.

Agreed that BBQ is better than grilling, but they are two different animals. Can't come home from work and throw a brisket on the slow cooker. That's what grills and steaks are for.

·
Save Jesus
2,947 Posts
I have a portable infrared grill. It can really put the heat down and easily blacken both sides of a steak while the inside is still rare. The drawback is that it is hard to cook things at lower temperatures. For example, you have to keep sausages moving or else you will burn them.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
I have gone on line and done my research, but I have yet talked to someone who has used an infrared bbq. If you have used both, which do you prefer. My gas grill is rusted out to the point that it is dangerous to use (gas leaking out of the burners and connectors, smell of propane gas and flames coming out places that it should not come out of). I do have a Webber kettle for charcoal/wood grilling, but like to have the gas grill for the days when there is a lot of meat to cook.
I'm a firm believer in having the right tool for the job!

Smoking requires a smoker. If you want to sear a steak, you need coals. And if you want to do it fast, you need gas.

Buy all 3!

·
orthonormal
5,087 Posts
Pellet grills are the bomb for everything but searing. I love mine, but it feels like cheating it's so easy.
I bought a Traeger pellet grill 5 years ago and use it for everything but steaks and burgers (Weber Q200 for those). It does feel like cheating compared to using a regular smoker. Throw a brisket on at 8:00 am, set the temp. to ~185 F, go about my day, pull it off and eat at 5:00 or 6:00 pm.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm telling you, don't knock the pellet grills. Mines a Traeger, but there are others. Put ribs on smoke for an hour or so preride, turn it to 200-225, ride for four hours, crack beer, eat perfect ribs. I still keep coals around and use them on occasion just to keep skills sharp, but the traeger gets used several times a week. Pellets end up being pretty cheap too - much cheaper than charcoal.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
I bought a Traeger pellet grill 5 years ago and use it for everything but steaks and burgers (Weber Q200 for those). It does feel like cheating compared to using a regular smoker. Throw a brisket on at 8:00 am, set the temp. to ~185 F, go about my day, pull it off and eat at 5:00 or 6:00 pm.
I've been pondering getting a traeger, since my last couple smokers have died.

Does it produce enough smoke? Any pics of finished products?

Sorry about bailing last week - my bids were delayed.

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
I'm a firm believer in having the right tool for the job!

Smoking requires a smoker. If you want to sear a steak, you need coals. And if you want to do it fast, you need gas.

Buy all 3!
Not so fast.....
Smokenator 1000
I had one for the last year, as do a few folks on this forum. Makes a Weber grill a true water smoker.
For an added bonus, it's a local company headquartered out of the STP area.

Smokenator 1000

Cheers!:thumbsup:

Reactions: cyclelicious

·
orthonormal
5,087 Posts

The lower the temp, the more smoke. Plenty of smoke at or below the 240 F setting. Above 350 or so, it's pretty much a convection oven.

No worries about the ride but you missed a good one. Will have to fill you in offline.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I was at Costco today and there was a Traeger dealer there with a demo. I ducked him because I didn't want the sales pitch as I was i a hurry. I had to run by my LBS to talk about some wheels and I mentioned that I was interested in an infrared grill, my LBS owner says to me without any solicitation, "you need to get a Traeger pellet grill". Now I wish that I had talked to the dealer at Costco. After hearing that and reading Andy's comments I think that I will be researching this in more detail. I am just wondering if I will be using it enough to justify the cost.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
I was at Costco today and there was a Traeger dealer there with a demo. I ducked him because I didn't want the sales pitch as I was i a hurry. I had to run by my LBS to talk about some wheels and I mentioned that I was interested in an infrared grill, my LBS owner says to me without any solicitation, "you need to get a Traeger pellet grill". Now I wish that I had talked to the dealer at Costco. After hearing that and reading Andy's comments I think that I will be researching this in more detail. I am just wondering if I will be using it enough to justify the cost.
Update. I ended up buying a Green Mountain Grill. Similar to traeger - but read the reviews on yelp. Traeger has gone downhill since being bought and outsourcing to China.

Super happy with the GMG. I've done ribs, briskets, steaks, tri tips etc. It does a really good job.

Just do your research and read the reviews before buying, is all Im saying.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up getting the Traeger. Love the flavor that I get from the wood and smoke and it is pretty easy to use. I did one attempt at Carolina Pulled Pork and it came out well but didn't pull apart like I had hoped to as my neighbor who is my "go to guy" for BBQ questions said it should. The taste was fine but the "bark" was a bit thick as I should have covered the meat sooner with tin foil to limit the hardness of the outer shell. I have cooked pizza, chicken, pork, and burgers so far with good results. Next up will be pork ribs. The only thing that sucks is the cost of meat these days!

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
I ended up getting the Traeger. Love the flavor that I get from the wood and smoke and it is pretty easy to use. I did one attempt at Carolina Pulled Pork and it came out well but didn't pull apart like I had hoped to as my neighbor who is my "go to guy" for BBQ questions said it should. The taste was fine but the "bark" was a bit thick as I should have covered the meat sooner with tin foil to limit the hardness of the outer shell. I have cooked pizza, chicken, pork, and burgers so far with good results. Next up will be pork ribs. The only thing that sucks is the cost of meat these days!
what temp did you do the pulled pork on?

you might try cooking it 75% on the bbq and finishing in a crock pot - if you're getting too much bark that is.

It's a nice way to finish it off and perfect the sauce and seasoning.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.