Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have somewhat of a problem. I make biodiesel in my garage and would like to run a batch tonight. In order to make it, I need methanol. No problem there, I have a 55 gallon drum of it. Problem with that is, I need to open the damn thing! Its not like any lid ive seen before. Any idea how to screw it off? Will I need to buy a special tool? I did not purchase the methanol locally, and going back to where I bought it would be a pain in the arse. I can call them, but not untill tomorrow. Any help would really be appreciated. Some pics:

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lidarman said:
Spell checker alert: Replace all words "biodiesel" with "methamphetamine" ;)

do you have some aluminum pieces you can stick in there and use a crescent on to turn it?
I wish. I'm going to hope de-pot tomorrow morning if I cant get it to work tonight.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
See if the

new (960) XTR bottom bracket tool will fit... Not sure if it's the right size though... And of course, there is always punching a hole through it (unless of course, you need to reseal the barrel)...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've seen that sort of lid or bung whatever the hell it is. What the problem is, is that I have seen it at work and do not know how to open it for yah. If you can wait a day or so I'd wait to get the proper tool to open it. Otherwise I am sure there is any combination of tools that will help you out with your problem if you want to really work at it.

·
I Just Ride
284 Posts
Can you give me some more info on your setup, how much BD it will produce, initial cost, cost per gallon etc. Are you going to use restaurant oil? Have you projected how long it will take for the system to pay for itself based on your driving habits.

Thanks

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IJR said:
Can you give me some more info on your setup, how much BD it will produce, initial cost, cost per gallon etc. Are you going to use restaurant oil? Have you projected how long it will take for the system to pay for itself based on your driving habits.

Thanks
I got it open! Turns out I had the correct tool the whole time, it was just hiding from me. Anywho, batch is running. IJR, I am using restaurant oil. Theyll let you pick it up for free because otherwise they have to pay to have it taken. Just go to your local chinese place and ask them. Theyd most likely be more than happy. When I first stared, I was transporting it in 5 gallon buckets, but that was a hassle, so I bought some 55 gallon barrels. I didnt realize it would be so incredibly heavy when fulled. A friend of my dad has a lift though, so we borrow that and in exchange give him cheap fuel. Since the oil is free, the only cost to run the system is the methanol, lye, water and electricity. Email me at [email protected] gmail.com, and I'll send you a copy of the user manual. You can go to a hardware store and build one yourself, or just buy a pre-done kit. The cost per gallon depends on how much you pay for the methanol, and how much lye is needed per batch. The lye will vary due to the different qualities of oil. Methanol is always the same. It takes 1 gallon per 5 gallons of oil. I ran a 25gallon batch last week, and ended up with 23 gallons of biodiesel. It can be more, it can be less. It depends on all sorts of conditions. Just email me and I'll send you the info. As for how long it takes to pay for itself, that depends on how often you do a batch, what each batch will cost you, etcetera. I was given a figure of 7 months, but I dont know what that is based on.

·
Registered
10,026 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
I got it open! Turns out I had the correct tool the whole time, it was just hiding from me. Anywho, batch is running. IJR, I am using restaurant oil. Theyll let you pick it up for free because otherwise they have to pay to have it taken. Just go to your local chinese place and ask them. Theyd most likely be more than happy. When I first stared, I was transporting it in 5 gallon buckets, but that was a hassle, so I bought some 55 gallon barrels. I didnt realize it would be so incredibly heavy when fulled. A friend of my dad has a lift though, so we borrow that and in exchange give him cheap fuel. Since the oil is free, the only cost to run the system is the methanol, lye, water and electricity. Email me at [email protected] gmail.com, and I'll send you a copy of the user manual. You can go to a hardware store and build one yourself, or just buy a pre-done kit. The cost per gallon depends on how much you pay for the methanol, and how much lye is needed per batch. The lye will vary due to the different qualities of oil. Methanol is always the same. It takes 1 gallon per 5 gallons of oil. I ran a 25gallon batch last week, and ended up with 23 gallons of biodiesel. It can be more, it can be less. It depends on all sorts of conditions. Just email me and I'll send you the info. As for how long it takes to pay for itself, that depends on how often you do a batch, what each batch will cost you, etcetera. I was given a figure of 7 months, but I dont know what that is based on.
Would probably take me longer then 7 months as I do not have anything that will burn diesel fuel.........

I guess I could go get a new vehicle in order to save money :D

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
006_007 said:
Would probably take me longer then 7 months as I do not have anything that will burn diesel fuel.........

I guess I could go get a new vehicle in order to save money :D
Well, I'm drivind an old VW Rabbit Truck. Biodiesel is probably better in an older or used vehicle, since it will void the warranty of a new vehicle.

·
HIYAH
754 Posts
ummmm...no

JimC. said:
a small propane torch or arc welder, then it'll come loose. Probably quickly. Ah he//, I dunno. good luck though, Jim
NO! Maybe its just the process engineer coming out in me but...NO!

Cool that you are making bio-fuel! Make sure you keep the methanol closed as it has a incredible affinity for O2...

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
TheRedMantra said:
Well, I'm drivind an old VW Rabbit Truck. Biodiesel is probably better in an older or used vehicle, since it will void the warranty of a new vehicle.
Some new vehicles can run Bio. My Cummins can take B5, though a lot of the guys on their website are running up to B20 in the new hi pressure common rail engines. If I could find a pump, I'd buy it myself.

Once I stop moving around with the military, I'm going to build myself a still, too. Of course, by then, restaurants will probably have started CHARGING for us to carry away their used oil! And it won't be cost effective anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.