Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have somewhat of a problem. I make biodiesel in my garage and would like to run a batch tonight. In order to make it, I need methanol. No problem there, I have a 55 gallon drum of it. Problem with that is, I need to open the damn thing! Its not like any lid ive seen before. Any idea how to screw it off? Will I need to buy a special tool? I did not purchase the methanol locally, and going back to where I bought it would be a pain in the arse. I can call them, but not untill tomorrow. Any help would really be appreciated. Some pics:

·
Registered
122 Posts
If it's realy tight

TheRedMantra said:
Hey, I have somewhat of a problem. I make biodiesel in my garage and would like to run a batch tonight. In order to make it, I need methanol. No problem there, I have a 55 gallon drum of it. Problem with that is, I need to open the damn thing! Its not like any lid ive seen before. Any idea how to screw it off? Will I need to buy a special tool? I did not purchase the methanol locally, and going back to where I bought it would be a pain in the arse. I can call them, but not untill tomorrow. Any help would really be appreciated. Some pics:

Two screwdrivers and a bar of some type has always worked for me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
picture this...

stick two slotted screwdrivers into the little rectangle holes in the lid one at 12 the other at 6. place a pry bar or extension or someting long and beefy (easy now....) inbetween the screwdrivers and turn the bar (do i need to tell you which way? ;)

somethink tells me that if you cant get the drum open, you dont need to be brewing your own flammable liquids ! ! !

btw, there is a tool for that, check J and L industrial, C and H distributors, USPlastics, or any industrial supply whatever dot com

later

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wildman said:
stick two slotted screwdrivers into the little rectangle holes in the lid one at 12 the other at 6. place a pry bar or extension or someting long and beefy (easy now....) inbetween the screwdrivers and turn the bar (do i need to tell you which way? ;)

somethink tells me that if you cant get the drum open, you dont need to be brewing your own flammable liquids ! ! !

btw, there is a tool for that, check J and L industrial, C and H distributors, USPlastics, or any industrial supply whatever dot com

later
Awesome, Ill give that a try. Yes, I know I sound like I dont know what I'm doing. I do though. In the past I have used 5 gallon drums of methanol, and all of my oil drums have metal lids that are easier to remove. I just bought methanol in bulk for the first time to save some money. Seriously though, thanks for the mental picture. I'm off to try it now, hope it works. I'm going to buy the tool tomorrow though even if it does. PITA man!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just use a cutting torch :eek: No obviously that wouldn't be wise but be carefull that drum could be under pressure or vacum so open the top slowly and wear the right protective gear.

·
Banned
640 Posts
smoke a cigar while you do it , it might FIX everything.

Hey ask your next door neighbour, hey man i am brewing my own explosives, but i don't know how to open a drum. They will be over to help once the For Sale sign is put up.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its open, found the tool hiding somewhere. Thanks for the help. And for those of you who laugh, think about how much more you pay for fuel than I do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.