Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not see buying a 3rd GPS to use soley on the golf course, so I am asking for assistance.

-I only play on the golf course behind my house and only want data for this course.
-I can walk the course to set waypoints so I convert somehow to know distances in yards to: Bunkers, Greens, Sand traps and other hazzards etc...

If possiable can you respond in a step by step process as if you are communicating to a fith grader ( I am a novice).

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok went out and walked the course and set way points to the center of the green and named them (17 green, etc...). Then I created a route and added the way points. Converted distance to yards and Volia!!!

Any other ideas to improve this method?

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
Ilikejeeps2 said:
Ok went out and walked the course and set way points to the center of the green and named them (17 green, etc...). Then I created a route and added the way points. Converted distance to yards and Volia!!!

Any other ideas to improve this method?
that's basically how skycaddie etc do it, but with a lot more points... e.g., front/center/back of greens/bunkers/water hazards, corners of doglegs, fairway hazards, large trees and other obvious points...

·
Masher
530 Posts
The other thing some of these golf GPS devices do is use a local reference station to get differential corrections, this improves the accuracy to about 1 yard. With the 60csx (consumer version) your accuracy would be +/- 30 feet on a good day.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am pretty satisfied with the Route method that I am using. I finished creating waypoints for all the greens and most difficult hazards today. Nice thing is that I now know how far I hit the ball off the tee and the distance to the center of the green.

I looked at the golf specific GPS and they are cool but require a monthly subscription which it way too much.

Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.