Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 512MB chip for my laptop. I read the instructions, but am a little nervous taking my laptop apart to install. I have a Gateway 400VTX that came with 256mb. Anyone try it before? I know about the static thing. Anyone try this before? Should I just pay a geek? I'm pretty mechanical, I do most of my own wrenching. Commments? Questions? Ideas?

Dan

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Read the manual ...

BikeKilla said:
I bought a 512MB chip for my laptop. I read the instructions, but am a little nervous taking my laptop apart to install. I have a Gateway 400VTX that came with 256mb. Anyone try it before? I know about the static thing. Anyone try this before? Should I just pay a geek? I'm pretty mechanical, I do most of my own wrenching. Commments? Questions? Ideas?

Dan
Installing RAM is about as difficult as snapping lego blocks together. That is ... if the RAM slot is available.

OK, now for another tricky bit ... did you check the manual to see how large and what type of RAM your computer will accept. If so, there should be some instructions in there regarding what cover to open up.

If there is already a RAM chip in there, you will probably have to take it out in order to put your 512MB in there.

I would suggest:
a) Reading the manual.
b) Going to Gateways support site and looking up information for your particular model (notebooks are notoriously individualized).

If I had the thing in front of me, I'd probably have the job done in 5 minutes. But there are just too many variables for anyone not familiar with your laptop in order to give you the RIGHT instructions on a BBS without spending significant time researching.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Most laptops have a small hatch with a screw in the bottom that accessess the DIMM slot for the ram. Check your instruction manual to see were it is. Its really easy to do yourself. Just push in the slot and push down to click in place.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
make sure the dimm is alligned correctly. i just installed a stick in my desktop to get up to a gig.
all manuals will tell you to push evenly and firmly until the stick snaps in place. all 4 times i have installed memory in desktops it has taken what i'd describe as more than firm pressure---it's more like firm put a lot of pressure into it----but all is well as long as you are sure it is lined up with the slot correctly.

not a hard task at all as long as you've bought the correct stick.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
as others said, usually access panel is on the bottom secured by a screw.
To take out the old memory, either side of memory is secured, and you will need to pull the tabs away from the memory.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Crucial.com will tell you the maximum amount of ram your laptop supports.

Some of the older laptops require removing the keyboard to access the memory panel. Still not very difficult though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it....

The suggestion to go to the Gateway site ws what helped me. I didn't realize it was just the screw that held the cover on. The instructions from Crucial talk about removing the copputer case. (I realize that that's more of what you do for a desktop, but I DID think I was going to have to take the entire cover off my laptop.)
I also didn't realize that Gateway would have step-by-step instructions on how to do it. For some reason I thought it was a little more complicated than that. I did use Crucial, and they told me which RAM chipset to get. I installed it on the second try. The first time it didn't SNAP into place.
Wherewolf, I asked here becasue this is a very generous community of people who are almost always willing to help out. I don't know of a similar computer site, and Gateway doesn't have a forum where you can ask dumb questions. If you want to ask them a question, you have to pay to get the answer. Next time, if you can't try to help without being a sarcastic ass, you should probably post on some other question. Your answer would be right on the money though.
If you guys want to help out, that's cool, if not, ignore this question. My laptop, ever since I installed PhotoShop Elements 3.0, could be a coincidence of course) the fan runs almost CONSTANTLY. If I don't touch my computer, it used to shut down completely after 20 minutes. Now, the fan will run for hours on end. It used to run maybe 15-25% of the time, now it's about 99%. If I unplug it, it sucks all the juice out of the battery in about 8 minutes. The battery is getting old, but even if I remove the battery, it still does it. My next step is calling and paying Gateway. I've searched the internet for anyone having similar problems, and couldn't find any answers. Thanks again for all the help, guys.

Dan

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Who is the ass?

BikeKilla said:
Next time, if you can't try to help without being a sarcastic ass, you should probably post on some other question.
Who is the ass? You could have gotten the answer in minutes and installed the RAM in minutes by reading your manual and/or doing just what I did. I went to the Gateway site. Instead you sat around and begged for people to do it for you. You need to read this article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1787713,00.asp

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My problem solving set...

Wherewolf,

I am not a dummy. The first thing I did was read the instructions. The first thing it says to do it "Refer to the Owner's manual when removing the manuals' cover." I looked for my manual and couldn't find it where I usually leave it. So I did a Google search. Here are the results.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+remove+gateway+laptop+cover

You'll see that it did not bring me to the page you suggested. None of the results on the first two pages helped. After reading the instructions, and doing a search I was stumped, and asked a simple question. I could have continued to hunt for info for an hour or I could post a question, and some nice person could point me in the right direction, like you did, in about 10 minutes. I tried various ways to solve the problem. I did not think that Gateway would provide that information.
Although I find it rather simple to work on a desktop, this is my first laptop. I did not realize that it was relatively simple to install things like CD-Rs and RAM chipsets. I thought I was going to have to remove the entire cover. I thought it more prudent to ask a relatively "dumb" question, and get help, then start removing all the screws to this thing, and shooting an ESD into my harddrive. I'm sorry I don't have experience in installing RAM into laptops, and turned to others for assistance. Next time, I'll just start unscrweing things.
Installing a rear derailer, baking a cake, installing a RAM upgrade, and changing your motor oil are all realtively simple things if you have done it or seen someone do it before. They are not if you have NO experience, and don't know where to start. Everyone has to have a first day on the job. Try to be a little understanding when it comes to technical things. For me, reading an EKG is realtively simple, for you, it might not be.

Dan

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Your computer is sleeping ...

BikeKilla said:
The suggestion to go to the Gateway site ws what helped me. I didn't realize it was just the screw that held the cover on. The instructions from Crucial talk about removing the copputer case. (I realize that that's more of what you do for a desktop, but I DID think I was going to have to take the entire cover off my laptop.)
I also didn't realize that Gateway would have step-by-step instructions on how to do it. For some reason I thought it was a little more complicated than that. I did use Crucial, and they told me which RAM chipset to get. I installed it on the second try. The first time it didn't SNAP into place.
Wherewolf, I asked here becasue this is a very generous community of people who are almost always willing to help out. I don't know of a similar computer site, and Gateway doesn't have a forum where you can ask dumb questions. If you want to ask them a question, you have to pay to get the answer. Next time, if you can't try to help without being a sarcastic ass, you should probably post on some other question. Your answer would be right on the money though.
If you guys want to help out, that's cool, if not, ignore this question. My laptop, ever since I installed PhotoShop Elements 3.0, could be a coincidence of course) the fan runs almost CONSTANTLY. If I don't touch my computer, it used to shut down completely after 20 minutes. Now, the fan will run for hours on end. It used to run maybe 15-25% of the time, now it's about 99%. If I unplug it, it sucks all the juice out of the battery in about 8 minutes. The battery is getting old, but even if I remove the battery, it still does it. My next step is calling and paying Gateway. I've searched the internet for anyone having similar problems, and couldn't find any answers. Thanks again for all the help, guys.

Dan
Windows has something called "sleep mode" or "standby mode". In this mode, the computer will shut down most parts to save power.

I recommend AGAINST sleep mode, especially in a notebook where power conservation is more critical.

Go into your control panel and open up "Power Options". This may also appear as a power plug icon in your system tray (over by the clock). There are two options to go into standby or hibernation on a timer. On the "Advanced" tab there is also options for how the computer behaves when you touch the power button. Somewhere in there there will be an option on how to respond when you close the lid on your laptop.

I recommend completely ridding your computer of standby. It doesn't save that much power and will end up draining your battery do to inattention. I recommend setting your computer to hibernate when you press the power button. This will give you the quickest boot as the computer only needs restore itself.

One more thing, there may be some BIOS options that can supercede what you set in the "Power Options" control panel. The BIOS can unilaterally put the computer in standby mode. Check the BIOS to make sure that this option is turned off. The only option I recommend in this regard is allowing the BIOS to spin down the hard drive from inactivity. The hard drive will spin back up when it is needed.

Another computer tip:

After you've installed your RAM, go into "System Properties"->"Advanced"->"Performance Settings"->"Advanced"->Virtual Memory

Turn off all virtual memory. Than deframent your hard-drive overnight.

When it's done, reset the virtual memory to 2 times the size of your physical memory. That is set the upper and lower limits to the same value. This will prevent the swap file from becoming fragmented (a real performance killer).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.