Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of curious as the other day while driving I was thinking of who the higher prices are benefitting in a sideways fashion. I guess to be balanced- I should think of who it hurts. I know the obvious like truckers etc being hurt and oil companies being helped- but what about the not so obvious?

My motorcycle shop deals in used machines only and works on motorcycles the dealers won't touch (like 10 year old+ machines). We have seen more interest from non riders in buying a bike. More service of bikes that were sitting unused and helmet and gear sales for those replacing old items. So it helps me there.

It hurts on my other job, motorsports announcer, since fans are driving less far to attend events, plane tickets have gotten high as they finally are getting near the price they should have been charging all along, food is more on the road ($9 for a fast food lunch not uncommon) the trucks hailing the equipment cost more to fuel (going from San Diego to NYC this week!)

So I feel it on both sides. How about you or your companies?

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Expensive fuel and mandated energy savings policy is a good thing for my company. Lots of our products are aimed at energy savings/efficiency, which I would imagine become more in demand as energy prices get higher.

·
Professional Amateur
446 Posts
I try to ride my bike to work more often in part due to gas prices. I work for a state agency and we do extensive field work. I imagine with fuel prices so high our budgeted expense on gas is being strained although I am not involved with the accounting side of things.

·
shred my gnar
604 Posts
hurting for sure... but working for gov't agencies helps offset the hurt.

ive got a side business where fuel has been my 3rd largest cost for 3 years running but i contract for the feds and they increased my rates to offset fuel costs.

my reg job gets hits pretty hard as well (heavy civil construction) but our adot jobs have a diesel price adjuster built into the contracts so that helps as we get some compensation as the diesel price increases. private jobs we take it in the shorts if the price increases much after the job is awarded as you can only add in so much cost for fuel increases and still expect to get jobs (lowest bidder).

so yeah... it sucks.

although, the fact that i drive a company truck and dont pay for gas has become absolutely huge. the chevron just down from our office just hit 4.19. yikes..

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
I work for Ticketmaster. People here say that recessions have a smaller impact on ticket sales than in other industries, based on the '00-01 recession and the early 90's recession. I can't help but think this one is different with higher gas prices, but the biz strategists know better than I on these issues for sure.

as far as our office in Phx, I see more commuting and smaller cars. Part of that is helped by our new office being more commuter-friendly.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
It hurts me because the more I spend on gas the less I make and the less I can get out of town. In my line of work its not uncommon for me drive over 130miles a day . So far thats been about $30+ a day in gas . No way for me to get around it as I already drive a v6 truck and the truck is a necessity in my line of work . A lil 4 banger simply couldn't hold up or carry the weight involved.

So in the end not only is it hurting me it also hurts any city/bar/fast food /restruants/LBS's I like to visit. Right now I spend no money on anything that is not necessary . Of course pay hasn't offset anything thanks to illegals and their many years of driving skilled labor wages down over the last 6 years .

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
KavuRider said:
Definitely seeing more people seeking alternative transportation. More motorcycles at work for instance.
Yeppers. I normally take the bus w/ my bike into work everyday, but I've had to drive the past few days while I attend a conference the past few days. I've noticed my drive on I-10 being a breeze. I imagine that part of this is due to the work day starting pretty early this time of year, but I've seen ridership up on the buses and I'm seeing more carpoolers on the road.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Paul B said:
Oh, and I'm also LOVING the fact the streets are relatively quiet throughout the day. And it's easier to get a quiet table for client meetings.

p.
I've noticed the same thing.
Riding into work this morning, the streets were darn near empty.

Combination gas prices + school being out for the summer = much quieter commute :thumbsup:

Gas prices have helped me in a way. It was the kick I needed to put down the keys and start riding everywhere again.

G

·
I ride my bike to work or sometimes drive a Sub-compact. The highter gas prices mean fewer giant SUV's on the road to flatten me. Come on $6 ! I love the high prices.

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
JohnniO said:
I ride my bike to work or sometimes drive a Sub-compact. The highter gas prices mean fewer giant SUV's on the road to flatten me. Come on $6 ! I love the high prices.
I'm going to have to kinda agree here. Unfortunately I'm too far to do a practical bike commute but driving the hybrid in the carpool lane, I see fewer cheaters in there and traffic doesn't seem to back up as soon as it used to...

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 51 seems to be a ghost town in comparison to 6 months ago. It used to be backed up to Northern heading south in the morning and backed up way before the 202 interchange going north. Now its pretty much clear sailing the whole way...aside from the prius doin 55 in the carpool lane - do those things have rearview mirrors?

Seems like a few things have happened.
1. All of schools are out
2. "sunday drivers" stay home now
3. Mexicans are migrating elsewhere do to Sherif Joe and probably gas prices. I dont see as many lawncare trailers as I used to.
4. Soccer moms in SUV's seem to be conserving and not driving as often.

So overall traffic seems to be improving. I can say that I only drive my car 2 or 3 times a week car pooling and ussually park it from thurs to monday...bike or take someone elses on the weekends. I've cut my gas buying habits from once every 4 days to once every 2 weeks. Its kinda nice, but still hurts when its time to fill'r up.

·
oh Lucky me
705 Posts
my wife and i work at the same place, so that helps! but ive got a Expedition that has seriously sat in my driveway for probably 10 months now. since my wife and i work together, it is useless for me to think about riding my bike to work.

hey atleast were not the ones paying for this: http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/facilities/crawler.html

"The crawler burns 568 liters (150 gallons) of diesel oil per mile"

have you guys ever seen a Caribou? it looks like a mix between bambi and a moose...ugly fcuking critters...who needs em? lets go dig in alaska for a while, whatcha say?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.