Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dave
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiking the Grand Canyon Bright Angle Trail.
We started at 530 am on Tues June 19, 2008. My wife and I hiked down to Indian Garden day use area. This is 4.9 miles from the rim.
On our way down we met up with a couple from Ma (where we hail from too) we chatted awhile then I had to let them go as I was starting to feel some knee pain. A little history on me and my legs, in 1984 I had a bad motorcycle accident. My right tib/fib was broken when a drunk driver hit me head on just after a stop sign. So for the next two years and two operations later my left leg had the crap beaten out of it. Hence my sore left knee on strenuous activities. So I started to feel my knee by the 3 mile house. But we kept going down to the Indian Garden area. Then we hung around for an hour or so then headed back up. I thought going down was bad, coming up hurt even more. We got to the top around 2:30 PM and it was around 100°F now. The worst time to hike. I know….
We had plenty of water and salt to help us over come any signs of heat stress.

Pics in order
Here I am at the beginning Sunrise 5:15am so early
Patti going under the first doorway of the BAT.
Us at the second doorway, taken by the MA couple.
The 1.5 mile shelter
83°F at 6 am. Maybe June is not the right time of year. DOH !!
Getting closer to the bottom
Me near the Indian Garden area
Damn dusty horses. After they pass you gag on the dust they stir up. Three groups went by us on our way back up.
My knee hurts, get me out of here. Still two miles to go.

We got to the top at 2:30. Very long day. Now a nice 3.5 hr ride home and jump in the pool.
Now we are doing the Bright Angle shuffle. Calves are kill us.
Anyone up for 20,000 calve rises…..

Really, we had a good time. Now back to biking where my knees don’t hurt so much.
Lite-N-Fast

Attachments

·
Dave
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
North Rim

ionsmuse said:
Yeah, it's a bit hot down there. A unique experience certainly, but I'd suggest early November. Fewer others, too.

North Rim is nice this time of year...
Hey Dave yeah I forgot to write we're heading up to Locust point on Tuesday for four days of camping and biking. I should be recovered by then

How was your Kiabab Monstercross ????:D

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
liteandfast said:
Hiking the Grand Canyon Bright Angle Trail.
We started at 530 am on Tues June 19, 2008. My wife and I hiked down to Indian Garden day use area. This is 4.9 miles from the rim.
On our way down we met up with a couple from Ma (where we hail from too) we chatted awhile then I had to let them go as I was starting to feel some knee pain. A little history on me and my legs, in 1984 I had a bad motorcycle accident. My right tib/fib was broken when a drunk driver hit me head on just after a stop sign. So for the next two years and two operations later my left leg had the crap beaten out of it. Hence my sore left knee on strenuous activities. So I started to feel my knee by the 3 mile house. But we kept going down to the Indian Garden area. Then we hung around for an hour or so then headed back up. I thought going down was bad, coming up hurt even more. We got to the top around 2:30 PM and it was around 100°F now. The worst time to hike. I know….
We had plenty of water and salt to help us over come any signs of heat stress.

Pics in order
Here I am at the beginning Sunrise 5:15am so early
Patti going under the first doorway of the BAT.
Us at the second doorway, taken by the MA couple.
The 1.5 mile shelter
83°F at 6 am. Maybe June is not the right time of year. DOH !!
Getting closer to the bottom
Me near the Indian Garden area
Damn dusty horses. After they pass you gag on the dust they stir up. Three groups went by us on our way back up.
My knee hurts, get me out of here. Still two miles to go.

We got to the top at 2:30. Very long day. Now a nice 3.5 hr ride home and jump in the pool.
Now we are doing the Bright Angle shuffle. Calves are kill us.
Anyone up for 20,000 calve rises…..

Really, we had a good time. Now back to biking where my knees don't hurt so much.
Lite-N-Fast
Awesome pics. We had the luck (?) of being offered a cabin on the North Rim over Labor Day about 4 years ago. Knowing the drive was a bear, we decided to do a Rim to Rim....to Rim...with a full day at the North Rim. Huge mistake. On the hike back, it was 108 at Indian Gardens. Probably the most difficult thing I ever did...and well worth it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I did a rim to river to rim, the whole in one day thing...in the middle of august. Yeah we pretty much only moved during the times of darkness, it was 128 down at Bright Angel campground.

·
Ridin' Dirty
460 Posts
Nice Pics!
I was planning on doing that in October until a big storm came in and cancelled those plans :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.