Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would insurance companies be willing to provide coverage to bikers? Do bikers have to obtain separate insurance from what you already receive from your employer? This might be a contending issue. Please don't flame me ok. I am not certain about insurance if I get seriously injured and the hospital won't treat me because insurance company obscure clause that refuse to reimburse the hospital.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Picard said:
Would insurance companies be willing to provide coverage to bikers? Do bikers have to obtain separate insurance from what you already receive from your employer? This might be a contending issue. Please don't flame me ok. I am not certain about insurance if I get seriously injured and the hospital won't treat me because insurance company obscure clause that refuse to reimburse the hospital.
At one time (maybe still) insurance companies were allowed to deny coverage to people injured in some sporting activities including mountain biking. There was a bill before congress a while back that would have made discrimination against people who particitated in "dangerous sports" illegal. I don't know how it turned out but I would guess that it passed from the popular support it seemed to have. I know that my reps. here were behind it 'cause I signed a petition that was going around and they both replied positivly.

Sure would suck to get seriously hurt and have to dish out the cash.

Anyone with first hand experience in this situation?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't know about Canada, but here in the US a hospital ER cannot legally refuse to treat a patient. Depending on the type of your injury you might have to wait a while. A friend of mine who worked in the ER told me the fastest way to get seen in the ER is to have chest pain or be about to pass out. Those are the quick tickets to get into the ER.

·
Keep rollin'
193 Posts
Don't know about other's insurance policies, but...

Picard said:
I broke my leg (lower, tibia/fibula, can't remember which one) in July of 2004. I didn't go to the hospital for a few days because I could still walk on it, with a bit of pain, but I just figured I sprained/strained something. When I went to the doctor's office, I was told that it probably wasn't broken. Then he x-rayed it and saw that it was broke. I had to got to an orthopedist after that, who informed me that I also had a syndismosis(sp?) sprain in my ankle. After everything, return visits, additional xrays and even an MRI because I was still having some issues this past winter, total bills were over the $2500.00 USD mark. I had to fill out forms saying how it happened, MTB'ing blah blah blah, and in the end, I paid probably about $90.00 in copays for the office visits.

I don't know about your insurance, but luckily, I was covered.

...iC...

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
InnocentCriminal said:
I broke my leg (lower, tibia/fibula, can't remember which one) in July of 2004. I didn't go to the hospital for a few days because I could still walk on it, with a bit of pain, but I just figured I sprained/strained something. When I went to the doctor's office, I was told that it probably wasn't broken. Then he x-rayed it and saw that it was broke. I had to got to an orthopedist after that, who informed me that I also had a syndismosis(sp?) sprain in my ankle. After everything, return visits, additional xrays and even an MRI because I was still having some issues this past winter, total bills were over the $2500.00 USD mark. I had to fill out forms saying how it happened, MTB'ing blah blah blah, and in the end, I paid probably about $90.00 in copays for the office visits.

I don't know about your insurance, but luckily, I was covered.

...iC...
frickin insurance companies, always looking for someone to sue. My hubby dislocated is shoulder skiing, hit a bump, and man-o-man they ( the insurance) were obnoxious sniffing around for someone to blame...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picard said:
If you have medical insurance through your employer, there should be no difference in coverage for MTB injuries versus any other medical need. You should not need any other medical insurance. However, you should check the plan documents for your coverage to see what is and is not covered. Your company human resources department should be able to give you a copy or tell you where to get one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.