Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a recent post in the "Quadruple Bypass" thread contains a sample using the products from motionbased.com

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/dashboard.mb?episodePk.pkValue=1622961

This looks way cool. I have a Forerunner 201, which I cant figure out how to get cumulative elevation stats and maps like their bigger handheld Garmin GPS. The motionbased sample seems like it extracts all that.

Any opinions on various gps services, costs, etc? I've seen some very cool maps on this site from Epicrider, and also great maps at topofusion.com that are used for a lot of the Epic rides events.

Digital dorks of the world unite!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,573 Posts
I am using a forerunner 305 to gather data when I ride, run and fly airplanes (and then compare between the 3). To get the max amount of elevation gain and loss I plug it into the computer and use the software provided. It's cool to see "max speed=146mph" (or more).

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow dude you ride fast!

I fiddled with motionbased last night and compared it to the Garmin training center. I'm not too interested in the analysis\training features of either product, just want a look at the stats. Here's what I found notable:

1. motionbased's use of Google maps is very cool. You can save the image locally. Garmin will overlay your route if you have their Topo packs installed, but the details don't compare.

2. Total ascent\descent is more accurate for motionbased. Garmin's analysis loses a lot of the change, upto 25% on some of my rides.

3. Garmin saves all your info, motionbased's free account only gives you your last 10 events.

4. For pure Garmin analysis, Mapsource is still best since you can extract and manipulate the individual data points. However, I havent figured out how to use my Forerunner with Mapsource. I'm sure it can be done, however.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jayem - how do you like the forerunner 305 for riding? Looks like it gives pace info for running (i.e. 7 min. mile) but can it also report mph and average mph? I have the opportunity to pick up a forerunner 305 cheap and am curious how it works for riding. thx.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the 301 and a couple of riding buddies have bought the same. I can't think of any additional features you might want in the more expensive models, although I know cadence is a feature of the higher end. Both Motionbased, and Garmin are cool just for the stats. I also like logging my rides with Geoladders, which gives great perspective on trails mostly around So Cal, but growing into other regions. Geoladders.com

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,573 Posts
the stick said:
Jayem - how do you like the forerunner 305 for riding? Looks like it gives pace info for running (i.e. 7 min. mile) but can it also report mph and average mph? I have the opportunity to pick up a forerunner 305 cheap and am curious how it works for riding. thx.
Oh yeah, it does all that stuff.

Grades, average grade, pace and average, speed and average, elevation, heart rate and average, etc. It probably does some other stuff that I don't really care about too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.