Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my wife has asked for an electric razor for her legs, underarms and bikini line area. She's been using mine for her legs and like the ease of the electric.

Do any of you use an electric to shave your various body parts and if so, what kind and would you recommend it or not. Thanks!

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
The only electric hair-removal device I've ever tried (besides a home electrolysis kit) is the Epilady. If they ever dare come out with that cruel torture device again, just stay away. FAR away.

In fact, skip past the electrolysis thing while you're at it {{{shudder}}}

·
Banned
226 Posts
skiahh said:
OK, my wife has asked for an electric razor for her legs, underarms and bikini line area. She's been using mine for her legs and like the ease of the electric.

Do any of you use an electric to shave your various body parts and if so, what kind and would you recommend it or not. Thanks!

I have never heard of any woman who uses an electric razor. I tried to talk my ex into letting me use an epi-lady on her, maybe that is why she is my ex, who knows. Doesn't seem to me that electric would shave smooth enough for a womans legs. I mean, I use electric on my face and 5 hours later my face is not smooth anymore.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Just don't get her a waxing kit like this!!! I LMAO when I read this and have a newfound respect for the female gender as to what they will put up w/ to remove unwanted hair. DAMN! that must of hurt! I could easily shave each day, but usually shave every 3rd day just because I'm lazy and they're not paticular about it at work. And I use to think THAT was a PITA!

One Woman’s Tale of Woe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received this as a forward at work today - I apologize for the length and some of the words used, but given some of the posts on this site, I thought that it was just WAY too funny to not share with you ladies. (This "tale of woe" is told in the first person, and just for the record, it's not me! ) Here goes:

All hair removal methods have tricked women with their promises of easy, painless removal - The epi-lady, scissors, razors, Nair and now...The Wax.

My night began as any other normal weeknight. Come home, fix dinner, play with the kids. I then had the thought that would ring painfully in my mind for the next few hours: “Maybe I should pull the waxing kit out of the medicine cabinet.” So I headed to the site of my demise: the bathroom. It was one of those “cold wax” kits. No melting a clump of hot wax, you just rub the strips together in your hand, they get warm and you peel them apart and press them to your leg (or wherever else) and you pull the hair right off. No muss, no fuss. How hard can it be? I mean, I’m not a genius, but I am mechanically inclined enough to figure this out. (YA THINK!?!)

So I pull one of the thin strips out. Its two strips facing each other stuck together. Instead of rubbing them together, my genius kicks in so I get out the hair dryer and heat it to 1000 degrees. (“Cold wax,” yeah...right!) I lay the strip across my thigh. Hold the skin around it tight and pull. It works! OK, so it wasn’t the best feeling, but it wasn’t too bad. I can do this! Hair removal no longer eludes me! I am “She-Rah, fighter of all wayward body hair and maker of smooth skin extraordinaire”!

With my next wax strip I move north. After checking on the kids, I sneak back into the bathroom, for the ultimate hair fighting championship. I drop my panties and place one foot on the toilet. Using the same procedure, I apply the was strip across the right side of my bikini line, covering the right half of my vagina and stretching down to the inside of my butt cheek (Yes, it was a long strip).

I inhale deeply and brace myself....RRRRIIIPPP!!!! I’m blind!!! Blinded from PAIN!!!!.... OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! Vision returning, I notice that I’ve only managed to pull off half the strip. CRAP!!! Another deep breath and RRIIIIIIPP!! Everything is swirly and spotted. I think I may pass out...must stay conscious...Do I hear crashing drums??? Breathe, breathe...OK, back to normal.

I want to see my trophy - a wax covered strip, the one that has caused me so much pain, with my hairy pelt sticking to it. I want to revel in the glory that is my triumph over body hair! I hold up the strip! There’s no hair on it. Where is the hair??? WHERE IS THE WAX??? Slowly I ease my head down, foot still perched on the toilet. I see the hair. The hair that should be on the strip. I touch. . . . . I am touching wax. CRAP! I run my fingers over the most sensitive part of my body, which is now covered in cold wax and matted hair.

Then I make the next BIG mistake. . . Remember my foot is still propped upon the toilet? I know I need to do something. So I put my foot down. DAMN!!!!!!!! I hear the slamming of a cell door. Cootchie? Sealed shut! Butt?? Sealed shut!

I penguin walk around the bathroom trying to figure out what to do and think to myself “Please don’t let me get the urge to poo. My head may pop off!” What can I do to melt the wax? Hot water!! Hot water melts wax!! I’ll run the hottest water I can stand into the bathtub, get in, immerse the wax-covered “bits” and the wax should melt and I can gently wipe it off, right??? WRONG!!!!!!!

I get in the tub - the water is slightly hotter than that used to torture prisoners of war or sterilize surgical equipment - I sit. Now, the only thing worse than having your nether regions glued together, is having them glued together and then glued to the bottom of the tub...in scalding hot water. Which, by the way, doesn’t melt cold wax.

So, now I’m stuck to the bottom of the tub as though I had cement-epoxied myself to the porcelain!! God bless the man who had convinced me a few months ago to have a phone put in the bathroom!!!!! I call my friend, thinking surely she has waxed before and has some secret of how to get me undone. It’s a very good conversation starter - “So, my butt and who-ha are glued together to the bottom of the tub!” There is a slight pause. She doesn’t know any secret tricks for removal but she does try to hide her laughter from me. She wants to know exactly where the wax is located, “Are we talking cheeks or hole or who-ha?” She’s laughing out loud by now...I can hear her. I give her the rundown and she suggests I call the number on the side of the box. YEAH!!!!! Right!!

I should be the joke of someone else’s night. While we go through various solutions. I resort to scraping the wax off with a razor. Nothing feels better then to have your girlie goodies covered in hot wax, glued shut, stuck to the tub in super hot water and then dry-shaving the sticky wax off!! By now the brain is not working, dignity has taken a major hike and I’m pretty sure I’m going to need Post-Traumatic Stress counseling for this event.

My friend is still talking with me when I finally see my saving grace....the lotion they give you to remove the excess wax. What do I really have to lose at this point? I rub some on and OH MY GAAAAWWWWWWD!!!!!!! The scream probably woke the kids and scared the ****ens out of my friend. It’s sooo painful, l but I really don’t care.

“IT WORKS!! It works!!” I get a hearty congratulation from my friend and she hangs up. I successfully remove the remainder of the wax and then notice to my grief and despair. . . .THE HAIR IS STILL THERE. . . . . . .ALL OF IT! ! ! ! ! So I recklessly shave it off. Heck, I’m numb by now. Nothing hurts. I could have amputated my own leg at this point.

Next week I’m going to try hair color......!! Whadda ya think??

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
It's 5 am and I couldn't sleep

so I go online and read this post about the wax. I had no idea. I may never sleep again.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
soap and razor here....I'm with Joe Dirt in that I've never heard of gals using electric razors.

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
Given that this woman is already using an electric razor, and likes it so much she asked for her own, I figured I'd reply. This is the type of product that I would always go to Cunsumer Reports for their opinion on, so I went there to see what they say. Their last test of razors was in 2002, but based on the results of that test, they felt comfortable recommending some current versions of the models tested then. They include the Norelco Reflex Action 5822XL and Quadra Action 7885XL for a rotary shaver, and the Braun Syncro System 7680 and Flex Integral 5441 for foil shavers. None of the women's razors measured up to these men's razors. Whether you get her a foil or rotary shaver I guess should be determined by what she's using when she borrows yours.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's Electric!

Foil type electric razors do not do as good of a job as the ones with the three little floating heads. If the hairs get just a little too long, the foil won't pick them up. The little trimmer things on them just gouge the skin, especially behind the knee.

The only reason to use an elctic razor on your legs (or anywhere else) is if you have a skin condition that would not be helped by running a real razor over it (like warts-a real razor will spread them). Also, an electric will take longer because you have to shave slower and then you have to go back and get all the spots you missed the first time.

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
Yes, but with electric, you can shave while driving down the road. Handy if a girl's got an after work date, and didn't bother to shave that morning. ;)

Hmm, now that would be an interesting sight to see while driving my truck down the highway! YOWZA!!!

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
That was hilarious

I have only had a 'professional' wax on my bikini line one time before my husband and I went to Hawaii for a week. EXTREMELY painful and it took days for the bumps to go away (the bleeding after they rip out the hair is a sign that you should not have this done again). That was a first and a last time for me.

I personally haven't found an electric that works well on my legs. I also think men's electric work better than women's but I haven't tried them all. I'm a razor and shaving cream chic now

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
waxing

I have had my back waxed a few times. the first time, it was for a tattoo, but it felt so damned good to have it smooth, and I am not all that hairy. (Honestly, im not...) Since then, I have done it about five or six times, and I have to say, the results vary. Some people are so rough you can't believe it. One time I experienced ingrownhairs and bums on my skin, but overall, it has been worth it.

If you go to the right person, waxing is really not that bad. My current girlfriend does it at work, and has done it on me with much less pain than previous experiences. If I wanted hairless legs, I would definitely go the wax route. (If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, you can even make an appointment with her.)

As far as the BIkini goes, there is a new kind of electrolysis that is supposedly WAY less painful, and the beauty of it is that it is forever. You have to do it three or four times I think, and you are smooth for life. Sounds like a good deal to me, but it doesn't work well on blonde hair.

·
The Other F Word
578 Posts
skiahh said:
If she likes yours, get her one just like it. IME, unless you get lucky and get a good razor, it's going to suck royally. Whatever happend to quality control? I had this great thing called a "Wet & Sassy" (really!) but it gave up the ghost, and everything else had this nasty habit of pinching the delicate parts.

I've said it before & I'll say it again: waxing is the way to go. You have to go to somebody who knows what they're doing though.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
I'd definitely try that laser process if I could afford it- with pale skin and dark hair, I'm the perfect candidate from what I understand.

Problem with waxing is that you have to wait about two weeks for everything to grow out. But what a great feeling afterward, no worries, just put on shorts and go- like being a guy! :p

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Funny waxing story, there, crashed.

I have a similar one. I liked the way waxed legs looked and felt so stupid me decided to wax my own arm pits. Let me tell you, waxing bikini area has got NOTHING on waxing pits. I slapped the wax on, and yanked - and yelped. And the stupid thing was only half off. When I got it off I realized that I still had to do the other pit.

After that I went through a phase when I'd go to a salon to have my pits done. It relaly never got much better. Eventually I realized that shaving was fine, and I stopped paying strangers money to torture me.

For the legs and limited bikini area though, let me tell you, having a professional at a salon do it is the only way to go. No self-preservation gene making you stop mid yank.

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
Adult shops have all kinds of hair removing tools. I know Susy's has a couple of razors, waxing supplies, and a lotion that is supposed to help prevent ingrown hairs and rashes. Found a larger selection there than at the local beauty supply stores. I agree about the waxing story. Tried it ONCE. No way am I paying someone else to pull my hair out. That F***ing HURT!! The story made me laugh at the memory. I'll stick to the shaver and cream myself. Personally, if she likes yours give it to her and/or get a new one for yourself.

Fiona

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
How about a Phillips dry or wet shaver (Ladyshave) developed for women...
Christine said:
I'd definitely try that laser process if I could afford it- with pale skin and dark hair, I'm the perfect candidate from what I understand.

Problem with waxing is that you have to wait about two weeks for everything to grow out. But what a great feeling afterward, no worries, just put on shorts and go- like being a guy! :p

Attachments

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Christine said:

Yes, you'd be a perfect candidate for laser hair removal, but it's very expensive and still not permanent. You need like 6 treatments to get rid of most of it, and sometimes, what grows back is paler than before, so then the laser won't work anymore. That's an awful lot of money and you'll still need a razer or *wince* wax. I had one laser treatment done, and it was nice for a while, but once it grew back in, you couldn't tell the difference.

Personally, I use a razor on the legs and a Lady Remington on the bikini line area that I don't want to accidently slice with a regular blade.

I tried Nair once, but it irritated my skin. I had a male friend tell me not to ever risk getting it on tender parts, either.

Kathy :^)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts