Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i just purchased an external Sony DVDDIRECT dvd burner and having trouble figuring out how to get the discs I burn to read on anything.
What is the better disc annotation + or - ? And why is it better?
Also how do I burn dvd's I already have? I want to make some copies for my parents. What software should i look at to make the process simpler?

Basically this is all very new to me and I am confused at this point because of the lack of directions that came with this burner. I was under the understanding that you could simply just put a DVD movie you own in the computer rom drive and then copy it to the external amd I mistaken?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Peace,
J-MIZZLE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
?

You say any dvd works but not free?
Do you mean i need some software that will allow it?

if so please point it out please.

Peace,
J-Mizzle
 

·
it's....
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
J-mizzle said:
You say any dvd works but not free?
Do you mean i need some software that will allow it?

if so please point it out please.

Peace,
J-Mizzle
Anydvd is the name of the software that removes protection encryption.
Google it and download it. YOu can try it for free for about 28 days or so, if I remember correctly.
You also need burning software, but you probably have that already.
 

·
it's....
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
And on the + or - format, this is kinda like VHS vs Betamax, if you are old enuff to remember.
Some dvd burner manufactures embrace the + format, while others are for - format.
My burner is Lite-on, which works better with the + format.
I think Pioneer is the leading proponent of the - format.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, one more?

Thanks for pointing me to anydvd it does the job.
Next problem when the dvd is read and set up to write it is about 8000+gig and i only have space on a dvd for 4000gig. Is there anything that compresses the dvd without saving it to you hard drive and allows you to place into the rom and directly write to the external dvd writer?

Thanks for all the help,
J-Mizzle
 

·
it's....
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
J-mizzle said:
Thanks for pointing me to anydvd it does the job.
Next problem when the dvd is read and set up to write it is about 8000+gig and i only have space on a dvd for 4000gig. Is there anything that compresses the dvd without saving it to you hard drive and allows you to place into the rom and directly write to the external dvd writer?

Thanks for all the help,
J-Mizzle
8000 gigs? You must mean 8 gigs or 8000 MB.
You need dual layer dvd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
get dvddecrypter, its free on the net. Use it to burn an iso copy of the dvd to your hard drive. This will remove any protection from the dvd. Then use dvdshrink (open the iso image), to fit the movie to the size of dvd you are using. There are 5 gb and 9 gb dvds. The 5 gb dvds are cheap and can be found anywhere, but you usually have to remove extras and menus and some of the other languages from your dvds to get a respectable quality. The 9 gb dvds are like at least 5 bucks a piece, and hence, not worth it. But they will fit everything.
 

·
Wizard of the Trail
Joined
·
912 Posts
toad said:
get dvddecrypter, its free on the net. Use it to burn an iso copy of the dvd to your hard drive. This will remove any protection from the dvd. Then use dvdshrink (open the iso image), to fit the movie to the size of dvd you are using. There are 5 gb and 9 gb dvds. The 5 gb dvds are cheap and can be found anywhere, but you usually have to remove extras and menus and some of the other languages from your dvds to get a respectable quality. The 9 gb dvds are like at least 5 bucks a piece, and hence, not worth it. But they will fit everything.
definately the way to go toad. You also have to weed through some movies for a reoccuring piece of video and compress it with a still image. Usually in the "unreferenced material folder" if there is one. otherwise, it screws up the copy.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top