Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so varying versions of rand mcnally products from various years give me different advise on the quickest way to get from Carson (South-near Long Beach) to Tucson (enroute stop to big bend for a marathon mtb event before ending up in cen tex).

one has me going north for a ways then east on 10.

the latest version has me heading down to San Diego to catch I-8 east then hooking up w/10.

any advice which is truly the best to avoid traffic etc? I will be picking up the car at the vehicle processing center in carson about 9 AM on Tues the 14 Feb--will take 30 min or so to put the bike rack on the top-then will be heading out. Would hopr to be in Tucson by mid evening or so. And Big Bend area early evening on Wednesday.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,931 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
so varying versions of rand mcnally products from various years give me different advise on the quickest way to get from Carson (South-near Long Beach) to Tucson (enroute stop to big bend for a marathon mtb event before ending up in cen tex).

one has me going north for a ways then east on 10.

the latest version has me heading down to San Diego to catch I-8 east then hooking up w/10.

any advice which is truly the best to avoid traffic etc? I will be picking up the car at the vehicle processing center in carson about 9 AM on Tues the 14 Feb--will take 30 min or so to put the bike rack on the top-then will be heading out. Would hopr to be in Tucson by mid evening or so. And Big Bend area early evening on Wednesday.

Thanks.
Get on the I-10, once past the Civic Center you're away from heavy commuter traffic. Just getting to San Diego is a traffic hassle.
 

·
Just passing through....
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
Yes, get on the I-10 and go. Traffic should not be too bad at that time of day, comparitively anyway. You are always gonna hit some in that area, regardless of which direction you are heading. The San Diego route is waaayyyy out of your way.

Enjoy your drive.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
If you're on the freeway any more than a couple of miles, you will hit traffic, count on it. I've taken the I-8 route to Tucson and I don't recommend it. You'll take the 110 north then the 10 east. That intersection comes very close to downtown and I would guess you'll hit traffic, even that late in the morning. Don't be tempted to take the 60 east through east LA. On a map it looks good, but it's always slow through City of Industry. On the 10 you're likely to hit traffic around the 15, the 215, and/or the Palm Springs/Cabazon area. I've driven out to Phoenix once a month for the last year and it always happens. I would expect your drive to Tuscon to take 8-10 hours.
 

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks !!

SoCalAl said:
If you're on the freeway any more than a couple of miles, you will hit traffic, count on it. I've taken the I-8 route to Tucson and I don't recommend it. You'll take the 110 north then the 10 east. That intersection comes very close to downtown and I would guess you'll hit traffic, even that late in the morning. Don't be tempted to take the 60 east through east LA. On a map it looks good, but it's always slow through City of Industry. On the 10 you're likely to hit traffic around the 15, the 215, and/or the Palm Springs/Cabazon area. I've driven out to Phoenix once a month for the last year and it always happens. I would expect your drive to Tuscon to take 8-10 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Take the 91 to the 605 to the 10. About 30 miles before Phoenix take the I-8 cutoff. It is about 10 to 15 minutes longer but you bypass Phoenix. After 6 hours on the road I don't like dealing with traffic. Once you get to I-8 just tgo east until you get to I-10. 7 hours to Tuscon if you stop just for gas.
 

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx

Thanks. What was your avg drive speed at that rate? How are highway "patrols"?

gregdr said:
Take the 91 to the 605 to the 10. About 30 miles before Phoenix take the I-8 cutoff. It is about 10 to 15 minutes longer but you bypass Phoenix. After 6 hours on the road I don't like dealing with traffic. Once you get to I-8 just tgo east until you get to I-10. 7 hours to Tuscon if you stop just for gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
5 to 10 mph over speed limit. Basically go with the flow of traffic. If you are the by yourself passing cars you are going to fast.
 

·
Believer in Darwin
Joined
·
274 Posts
Mix it up

Take the 10 all the way until the Phoenix bypass(I believe it is called Highway 95) which is about 20 miles outside of Phoenix. Go south until you hit I-8. Go west until you hit the 10 again.
This will allow you to skip that cesspool(Ptown). Makes for a nicer drive as well.
GLTY
paz afuera
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,126 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
Thanks. What was your avg drive speed at that rate? How are highway "patrols"?
Pete, I've heard that Arizona is pretty "creative" in using unusual unmarked vehicles as radar units.

In California, the CHP is mstly driving black and white Crown Vics, with a few all white ones just to be sneaky. Not all of 'em have light bars, either. There are also still a few ageing but still fast all white Camaros
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
91 East to 60 East which joins with I-10

ArmySlowRdr said:
so varying versions of rand mcnally products from various years give me different advise on the quickest way to get from Carson (South-near Long Beach) to Tucson (enroute stop to big bend for a marathon mtb event before ending up in cen tex).

one has me going north for a ways then east on 10.

the latest version has me heading down to San Diego to catch I-8 east then hooking up w/10.

any advice which is truly the best to avoid traffic etc? I will be picking up the car at the vehicle processing center in carson about 9 AM on Tues the 14 Feb--will take 30 min or so to put the bike rack on the top-then will be heading out. Would hopr to be in Tucson by mid evening or so. And Big Bend area early evening on Wednesday.

Thanks.
91 East ends up meeting Interstate 10, no need to go any other route....I live just south of Carson and take this route to Big Bear, Southridge (Fontana), and the desert. I just drove the route the 23rd of December about the same time (11am), traffic was fine. If you have two passengers the 91 has a carpool lane almost all the way to Riverside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,376 Posts
OMG I avoid 91 like the plague. Though, admittedly at 11 am during the week it is probably fine. That has to be singlehandedly like the worst freeway in the state. And, I spend nearly 3 hours a day in my car on 15. :) er, for those that like to mock Californians, "the 15".

I also agree it's probably a waste to drive all the way down to 8. That's gotta add a lot of miles.

Though, it seems like most routes are 6 of 1 when traveling through So Cal. Save time here, but gain it there. Enjoy the drive! At least Phoenix is fairly well planned out, with about a hundred freeways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Asking an Angeleno about the best freeway route is like asking a New Yorker where the best pizza is. Everybody's got a different opinion!
I agree with aword4you, I also avoid the 91. gregdr nailed it with 91-605-10, that would work really well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,376 Posts
The funniest thing about people from LA is when you ask them how far away something is. Everything is "around the corner" or "down the street" and it takes about 30-45 mins and 45-60 mins respectively to get there :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top