Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking of heading up for the day tomorrow, and am wondering if there's anyone up there now who can give me the real poop on current conditions. is there enough coverage or is it still 'rock ski' time of year? rain or snow up at sugarbowl elevations (that's where we will go if for the day)?

thanks!

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
I was at Alpine last monday (POWDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR) and Sugar on Tues. Coverage at Sugar was awesome....no rocks/debris on the groomers (all the pow was tracked out). I don't think much has melted since then but it would have been a full week since I went. It was pretty thin at the top of Mt. Lincoln because of the wind though. Don't know how good my info will help you.

All the chairs were running though (vs. 4 at Alpine) but we stopped at noon...got totally bored with ripping groomers after the powder day.

Edit: Just checked Sugar's site and it says it's snowing right now so that should help with anything that was uncovered in the last week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Suppose to get 8-12 tonight along the crest. Anything that faces north will be really good Tuesday.

I was at Squaw on Saturday and didn't wait a lift line all day so i would expect Tuesday to be more of the same.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
skied sierra at tahoe on sat. suppppppppper prime. really warm and the snow stayed fresh in the morning and then afternoon it was spring conditions. withthe storm coming in now check current conditions on website resorts

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Heard the snow level could go as low

cohenfive said:
thanks, sounds like it's snow not rain so is probably worth heading up for. roads should be good by tomorrow morning if the weather people are right on timing.
as 3K tonite as the front and cold front move through. Hope it sticks for next week.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Skiied Northstar yesterday. Very wet snow 1st half then turned cold and everything froze. Northstar at top must have gotten 5-6 inches and it is much colder today (17 degrees this morning).

Coverage at top of Northstar was actually great. I skiied bump run and even with some big troughs I never ran over rocks. Snow today should be less heavy as it is colder.

Overall conditions for this time of year are pretty good. Crowded though and gonna get worse :(

·
more skier than biker
2,414 Posts
Skied Kirkwood today. They got roughly a foot or so out of this storm and it rode great. Everything is open...and I scored some great untracked lines in Thunder Saddle, Lower Cirque from the Eagle Bowl side, and the landings off of cliffs were just money. Cliffs were very stompable today and the runouts soft and easy :)

should be quite good for a few more days as the temps stay low, but look for a warming trend later in the week and during the weekend for some freeze / thaw action. By then it will probably be time to bail on the resorts and head to the backcountry / sidecountry anyways.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i ended up skiing sugarbowl today. other than some transportation problems (traffic and then totally unnecessary chain controls at kingvale) it was a great day. cold, breezy but for tahoe, excellent snow condtions. they need one more storm but coverage was pretty decent except on the steepest terrain. fun first day of the season!

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
cohenfive said:
i ended up skiing sugarbowl today. other than some transportation problems (traffic and then totally unnecessary chain controls at kingvale) it was a great day. cold, breezy but for tahoe, excellent snow condtions. they need one more storm but coverage was pretty decent except on the steepest terrain. fun first day of the season!
Damn eastern wind. . . lee side's there were siiick though. I had a great day out there today. Snow was good all day.

·
Tahoe Native
67 Posts
Go to the Backcountry. Skied Maggies Peak today and there was plenty of pow to be found. Open areas are windblown with the east winds we had last week. Tree's are off the hook though. When we parked at Emerald bay I was the only one there, when we left there were people everywhere, only about 10 or so skied maggies though :).

-TB

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just add snow...

...and Killebrew Canyon at Heavenly could look good. Until then it's definitly rock ski conditions. With 3 to 4 more feet of base we would be looking good. Got an angry inch last night, but still fun to b had.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.