Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have no problem with people enjoying their hobbies BUT those G.D. crotch rockets are a F*&KING menace around here. Alot of the roads here are for the most part flat and straight. PRIME breeding grounds for these things. I'm not really in favor of banning these things 'cause like I said everyone has a right to enjoy what they love as long as they are not hurting others. But just up the road a few miles from me there was a major crash that had both lanes closed down for hours. At least one person dead. Why??? because some SOB who watched Full Throttle, Fast and Furious and XXX too many times caused a van to crash into the car beside it when it swerved to miss the cycle after it flew between it and the car beside them. I had one do that to me once and almost caused me to crash. I saw him make a turn down a road where I knew a 7-11 was and had hoped to catch him there, but alas he didn't stop there. If you drive one of these things, PLEASE!!!!! KEEP THE STUPID SH!T AT THE TRACK!!!! :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Friend's Mom was a nurse

Called the Crotch Rockets - Donor Bikes. Guess you can figure out why.

They look like a blast to ride, but I don't think I could ever get one. The practical side of me thinks I've proved I can injure myself fine enough without a motor, thank you very much. Put some increased velocity into the mix and people not seeing me.... no thanks. And that's assuming that I was a responsible rider too.

The emotional side of me still remembers the 'thump' that I heard when I heard one of 'em crash when I went to college. Only the riders didn't walk away from the accident, but it was more than enough for me.

JmZ
crashedandburned said:
OK, I have no problem with people enjoying their hobbies BUT those G.D. crotch rockets are a F*&KING menace around here. Alot of the roads here are for the most part flat and straight. PRIME breeding grounds for these things. I'm not really in favor of banning these things 'cause like I said everyone has a right to enjoy what they love as long as they are not hurting others. But just up the road a few miles from me there was a major crash that had both lanes closed down for hours. At least one person dead. Why??? because some SOB who watched Full Throttle, Fast and Furious and XXX too many times caused a van to crash into the car beside it when it swerved to miss the cycle after it flew between it and the car beside them. I had one do that to me once and almost caused me to crash. I saw him make a turn down a road where I knew a 7-11 was and had hoped to catch him there, but alas he didn't stop there. If you drive one of these things, PLEASE!!!!! KEEP THE STUPID SH!T AT THE TRACK!!!! :mad:

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
Funny you mention this. This afternoon, I was crossing a road that goes across one of my local trail. Four guys on crotch rockets were zooming up and down this piece of road doing their "biker boyz" freestyle stunts. Mostly wheelies, stoppies, and that thing where they put the steel on their shoes and stand next to their bike on the asphault while going about 30 mph.

I felt in danger just standing next to these dipshits. It was a reall challenge to cross the street here. I mean, it looked like fun, but talk about dangerous- especially on a public road!!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@dam said:
Funny you mention this. This afternoon, I was crossing a road that goes across one of my local trail. Four guys on crotch rockets were zooming up and down this piece of road doing their "biker boyz" freestyle stunts. Mostly wheelies, stoppies, and that thing where they put the steel on their shoes and stand next to their bike on the asphault while going about 30 mph.

I felt in danger just standing next to these dipshits. It was a reall challenge to cross the street here. I mean, it looked like fun, but talk about dangerous- especially on a public road!!
I had spoken to a cop not long after I almost had the accident I mentioned above about what I could do to help in this area. They suggested that I could videotape and testify against them in traffic court. Hmmmmm???? waddda think? I know that there are those out there that ride them responsibly, it's the XXX junkies that think public roads are their personal race track that I'd tape. Heard one guy once bragging about how he got a ticket for doing 153mph. Now THERE'S something to be proud of. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm with ya'. As a long time motorcycle rider it really pisses me off to see the juvenile antics som eof these guys are pulling. Saturday a guy was riding back and forth in front of where I work doing stand up wheelies and stoppies in the middle of traffic on a busy street. I had my fingers crossed hoping to see some carnage, but no dice.

The good news is, we are witnessing Darwins theories at work. If they ride like this long enough at some point they will be removed from the gene pool.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
We have a whole bunch of them around here. They tend to ride in huge packs almost every single weekend showing off with their fat girlfirends showing their ass cracks hanging out the back of the bikes. Almost like clockwork every single weekend I get stuck in a traffic jam in the afternoon when driving back from a trail while the police scrapes one or two of the idiots that got killed a few miles ahead off the road with a spatula and pressure washer. Natural selection doing its thing I guess.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
Around where I live, we have bunch of old Slow Riders on Low Rider cruisers.
These people are just as bad, middle age out of shape without coordination trying to live the Outlaw Biker stereotype.
It's this age group that is crashing fatally at an alarming rate.
At least the sportbike squids wear full face and leathers, rather than tank top and beanie helmet.
BTW, I ride sport bike too, and hate the term "crotch rocket". It's the "squids" among us that give the rest a bad name, like the "1%er" outlaw bikers.

·
Gittyup!
528 Posts
There are some morons on street bikes out there for sure, but in the big scheme of things, I would like to think they are the minority. Unfortunately, that minority is the segment that naturally gets noticed more often. A biker riding responsibly typically isn't noticed near as much. The latest trend of "stunt biking" is worrysome however. Sport bikes can get away from you in a hurry if you don't know what you're doing, and the folks you described seem to fit in the latter category. For some real dumb a$$ folks, check out http://uponone.com/ .

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
The day I was riding my new to me Honda home, I had to ride past an car/motorcycle accident 2 blocks from my house. How's that for a gentle reminder to watch yourself.

I never got over how I could make eye contact with a driver, only to watch himself put me at risk seconds later.

Sold the bike 6 years ago, don't know if I'll ever get another.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Rode a friends ZX 600 Kawasaki once, that was enough to scare the poo out of me, no more street bikes for me. I was used to MX bikes, but the race rocket handled nothing like a MX bike.

Had a bunch of buddies who every Sunday would take a road trip on their rockets. A bud of mine was the first to reach the scene where one of the guys went of the road into a tree. Guy left behind a wife and two kids. My bud quit riding road rockets after that.

Worked with a guy who loves cruiser bikes. Rides year round, temperature be damned. Bought his son a rocket, but his son I guess did not want to keep it, he wanted a car, smart kid. So, a kid from his school wanted to test ride it to see if he liked it. Within one block of getting on the bike it was on its side, slid over 200 feet ( I think it was about 238 feet) on pavement, slightly uphill, into a fire hydrant, wher it stopped. Kid had a lot of road rash but got off lucky. We figured he nailed the throttle when he hit second and that was that, lost control and boom, road rash city and a destroyed rocket.

Kid I usd to race MX against was paralysed while riding MX. Nothing is truly safe. But I still love to ride moto's in the dirt.

That's one reason I like bicycles, you can get hurt, but the speed is generally lower so the damage potential is less. And you no exercise on a crotch rocket, except your hand giving the cop your license and signing the ticket.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SLinBend said:
I would like to think they are the minority.
Oh, I agree, that's why I'm not in favor of banning stuff like this. It's not the bike's fault, just the [email protected] drivers who do that stuff on the street. Just like gun owners, cyclists, hikers, paintballers, etc, most just want to enjoy what they love. BUT when it starts to affects others in very negitive ways ie: death, then something needs to be done. If these guys want to do this stuff, fine....all the power to them, but keep it at the track. I do tend to notice when one is actually riding well because it's one of the few times I DON'T see them acting bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.