Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son has a Mac laptop. He has an 'ok' set of speakers and sub hooked up to the laptop. I suggested he get a 'real hi-fi' unit, he claims he has no room for more equiptment in his life/ room. I am a bit of an audiophile. I love clean/crisp sound...etc. Can one get quality sound from a laptop? I would buy him what he needs if I knew that he would benefit from it. Don't suggest headphones...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The only way to find out is to hook up the Mac to a real stereo and see how it sounds. Keep in mind that if you are listening to MP3s the sound quality will not be all that great. At the typical 128 bit sampling rate the sound quality is a little better than FM radio (in my opinion). At the 228 bit sampling rate setting the SQ is better but not CD quality. In other words, use a CD to guage the sound quality.

·
wawe member
892 Posts
Alan said:
Son has a Mac laptop. He has an 'ok' set of speakers and sub hooked up to the laptop. I suggested he get a 'real hi-fi' unit, he claims he has no room for more equiptment in his life/ room. I am a bit of an audiophile. I love clean/crisp sound...etc. Can one get quality sound from a laptop? I would buy him what he needs if I knew that he would benefit from it. Don't suggest headphones...
You can get pretty decent sound just using a 1/8" stereo to RCA cable (available at any Radio Shack) and the audio out/headphone jack on the laptop.

If you're critical about your audio, there are several USB Audio breakout boxes available. These range from $30 for a consumer version on up and up for something like a Digidesign box made for use with ProTools.

Yes you can get quality sound from a laptop, many audio pros use Power Books in the studio and on the mixing stage.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
depends on what u and more importantly he thinks is ok. maybe it is just not important to him. i have a nice klipsch surround setup in the home theater; i would consider it overkill for my "study". Here I have an external soundblaster audigy hooked up to an inexpensive surround suite of logitech speakers and sub. To my ears the sound is superb for listening to my MP3 library, or the odd game, cd or dvd i might throw on.

Mostly SACDs and DVDs belong downstairs in the home theatre environment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.