Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the off topic, but thought someone here may have some quick answers for me.

Our Dell (thankfully home) laptop computer went kaput. Called Dell, did the diagnostic and it's the hard-drive. Unfortunately it's about a month out of warranty. So...

1) Should I just get the replacement drive from Dell so that I'm 100% sure it's compatible and all of that or should I be able to easily find an HD off of Dell for much cheaper? Putzing around on dell.com, it looks like there's several options ranging from $90-250, so not catastrophic. I was afraid of some price that was within a stone's throw of a new computer!

2) The bigger concern is getting all the stuff off the old HD and onto the new one. I know that there are a bunch of tricks to get files off of old HD's. I'm leaning towards just paying someone to get it all reconfigured. Does anyone have a recommendation for a local company that does this kind of stuff?

What a pain. Thanks in advance to anyone who has any insight. S

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
DSR said:
Sorry for the off topic, but thought someone here may have some quick answers for me.

Our Dell (thankfully home) laptop computer went kaput. Called Dell, did the diagnostic and it's the hard-drive. Unfortunately it's about a month out of warranty. So...

1) Should I just get the replacement drive from Dell so that I'm 100% sure it's compatible and all of that or should I be able to easily find an HD off of Dell for much cheaper? Putzing around on dell.com, it looks like there's several options ranging from $90-250, so not catastrophic. I was afraid of some price that was within a stone's throw of a new computer!

2) The bigger concern is getting all the stuff off the old HD and onto the new one. I know that there are a bunch of tricks to get files off of old HD's. I'm leaning towards just paying someone to get it all reconfigured. Does anyone have a recommendation for a local company that does this kind of stuff?

Pretty much any laptop hard drive will usually fit. The problem usually comes in accessing the hard drive itself. Some laptops are pretty tough to get into.

As for getting the data off, I don't know....Usually when I've had a hard drive the completely died I wrote off the data. Maybe these data recovery places can get it, but it isn't something I know of a solution for.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
I don't want to rain on the parade, but I've heard some pretty ugly figures (pricewise) in the past for data recovery, just figured I'd give you a heads up. A friend of mine lost her HD about a year ago and wanted to recover a bunch of pictures - she was quoted a price of $2-3k, of course this is all second hand info, so I could be wrong.

You should think about scheduling regular backups on you laptop once you get it up and running, it could save you loads of grief next time around and is very simple to set up.

Sorry to hear about your headache.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I’m not much help in the laptop department but my desktop HD crashed a while back. It would not boot at all. I installed a new drive and reloaded from scratch, then I was able to slave the old drive and access it and copy the files I needed. I probably could run Norton’s and reuse the failed drive but my experience is when a drive starts to go it's best to just replace it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
I don't want to rain on the parade, but I've heard some pretty ugly figures (pricewise) in the past for data recovery, just figured I'd give you a heads up. A friend of mine lost her HD about a year ago and wanted to recover a bunch of pictures - she was quoted a price of $2-3k, of course this is all second hand info, so I could be wrong.

You should think about scheduling regular backups on you laptop once you get it up and running, it could save you loads of grief next time around and is very simple to set up.

Sorry to hear about your headache.
Unfortunately you are not wrong. About a $1 a meg is "normal". 1gig would be about $1K. Not really worth it if you ask me. Is the HD completely dead? Might be able to get it to read long enough to back some stuff up. I would not go through dell for the new hd as it is already out of warrant(nothing to void) and you can get them much cheaper elsewhere.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I agree with josh (s1ingletrack)

dont know what ot tell you about getting the old data, but backing up is a mainstay of my "weekly electronic maintenance" as i call it. for about 20bucks on sale you can get a 100 stack of generic CDs adn burn your files once a week, this has saved me more than once. my HD crashed 2 months into the new computer, i just backed up the night before

hope it goes well for you.

mike

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
wildman said:
dont know what ot tell you about getting the old data, but backing up is a mainstay of my "weekly electronic maintenance" as i call it. for about 20bucks on sale you can get a 100 stack of generic CDs adn burn your files once a week, this has saved me more than once. my HD crashed 2 months into the new computer, i just backed up the night before

hope it goes well for you.

mike
Another option is to pick up a little USB drive (I've seen 4Gb for $120, 1Gb for about $90) - and run backups to it. If you haven't used any type of USB drive in the past, they are super easy to use w/ XP or W2K, just plug it in and your machine will automatically detect it, no drivers or anything to mess with, you can access it just like any other drive through explorer. Not that this helps any with your current issue though...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Yeah, I hear ya on the backup thing! I backup here at work, but didn't at all at home. Mostly pics and stuff. The HD appears to be still alive. The computer recognizes it but it won't boot, so I'm hoping I can access it as an external drive once the new HD is in there (?). Anyway, I'll bite the bullet on a new HD and then cross my fingers on the old data. Thanks again all! What can't I find out here! S

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
DSR said:
Thanks all. Yeah, I hear ya on the backup thing! I backup here at work, but didn't at all at home. Mostly pics and stuff. The HD appears to be still alive. The computer recognizes it but it won't boot, so I'm hoping I can access it as an external drive once the new HD is in there (?). Anyway, I'll bite the bullet on a new HD and then cross my fingers on the old data. Thanks again all! What can't I find out here! S
That is good idea. Maybe just the boot partition is screwed and at least you can get some data. if that doesn't work, The other thing to bring up a cmd window and see if you can see it that way. If you can't see a directory structure, you might have problems...but do a search on the web and see if you can find a utility to maybe track the drive indpendently of the OS and strip off the data onto another drive.

Good luck.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
lidarman said:
but do a search on the web and see if you can find a utility to maybe track the drive indpendently of the OS and strip off the data onto another drive.
Maybe someone else knows better than I do whether he could accomplish this with Knoppix (a very compact version of linux that can be run entirely from a CD) - of course this would require at least a basic familiarity with linux, or some decent googling skills, but it should allow you to boot your machine and access your other drive, I believe...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
DSR said:
...........so I'm hoping I can access it as an external drive once the new HD is in there (?).
You can get a Hard Drive Case enclosure that hooks up via USB or firewire for 3.5" or 2.5"(laptop) drives. Works really well and runs about 20 bucks or so. Install new HD, Load OS and then hook up the old drive via USB and run whatever utility you decide on.

·
...drat...
66 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
Maybe someone else knows better than I do whether he could accomplish this with Knoppix (a very compact version of linux that can be run entirely from a CD) - of course this would require at least a basic familiarity with linux, or some decent googling skills, but it should allow you to boot your machine and access your other drive, I believe...
I think he needs to install his OS on a new drive and then he could slave the old drive to the new one, boot to the new drive and then copy the files he needs if the drive is not toast.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
bikeandski said:
I think he needs to install his OS on a new drive and then he could slave the old drive to the new one, boot to the new drive and then copy the files he needs if the drive is not toast.
That sounds about 500% better than the whole Knoppix idea - leave it to me to come up with a solution way more complex than it needs to be.

I blame it on the cold medicine.

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
I can probably recover it (maybe)...

DSR said:

Shoot me a pm and I'll see what I can do. I have a couple of REAL options to try recover your data and burn it on a cd or a dvd so you have a backup also. If you call one of the local hacks they'll probably extort, er charge you $150 to try the same thing.

It's possible the drive may be completely hosed but I doubt it...

FYI - if you get a replacement from Dell, you'll get a frickin refurb and there's no way around it that I know of, they even send business customers the refurb crap. Not that I'd know... You can get a 40 gb drive for about $100 from a few different places.

I'm in Bowda so I could grab it from you real easy to.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool. So it looks like that HD case enclosure thingy is what'll let me access the HD as an external, right? Tech support at my old corporate job had to do that to my old work laptop. Kinda missing those tech support guys now. Good thing I have you guys! Thanks, S

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
Maybe...

DSR said:
Cool. So it looks like that HD case enclosure thingy is what'll let me access the HD as an external, right? Tech support at my old corporate job had to do that to my old work laptop. Kinda missing those tech support guys now. Good thing I have you guys! Thanks, S
That might work BUT if you're drive is hosed in the laptop, it'll be hosed in the drive case also.

The nerd work is recovering the data from the disk.

:D

·
Registered
812 Posts
DSR said:
If this was a desktop we were talking about I would not need the USB HD case.

On desktops the IDE cable usually has two connectors, one plug into the main drive and you could use the other to slave. If that did not work there is the Secondary IDE port you could plug the old drive into.

I don't know what the case will be with you're laptop, I don't have much experience with them. The USB thing would work but may not be needed.

Also when hooking the two drives up together you need to make the primary drive the master on the jumpers on the drive and the old drive a slave. It sounds like Bullitbob might be the best way for you to deal with it.

Good luck!

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
master/slave...

bikeandski said:
If this was a desktop we were talking about I would not need the USB HD case.

On desktops the IDE cable usually has two connectors, one plug into the main drive and you could use the other to slave. If that did not work there is the Secondary IDE port you could plug the old drive into.

I don't know what the case will be with you're laptop, I don't have much experience with them. The USB thing would work but may not be needed.

Also when hooking the two drives up together you need to make the primary drive the master on the jumpers on the drive and the old drive a slave. It sounds like Bullitbob might be the best way for you to deal with it.

Good luck!
Yep, you have set the jumpers correctly if you have more than 1 internal drive but it's not a problem with an external. Any late model os (>win2k) will autodetect the USB drive with no problems. Windoze 98 may be a [email protected]

FYI - if you have 1 drive you can usually use the 'cable select' option if you're not sure about the other jumper settings.

That'll be 25 bucks.

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
master/slave OOPS not politically correct!

bulletbob said:
Yep, you have set the jumpers correctly if you have more than 1 internal drive but it's not a problem with an external. Any late model os (>win2k) will autodetect the USB drive with no problems. Windoze 98 may be a [email protected]

FYI - if you have 1 drive you can usually use the 'cable select' option if you're not sure about the other jumper settings.

That'll be 25 bucks.
I forgot, you're not sposed to use the master/slave designations, at least according to the LA city council. It's primary/secondary now.

My most grovelling apologies to any hard drives that may have been offended.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.