Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Midnight Sun from the Co-Op downtown. Dark, smooth, no bitterness. Also love the "Velvet Hammer" from City Bakery, they sell whole beans reasonably.

Both of these are fair trade organic coffees. Use your dollar actively- buy only coffees with these desingations. They're also no more expensive thano ther brands- the "midnight sun" at the Co-Op has actually been on sale lately for 6.99/lb, that's cheap!
Mike

·
Registered
280 Posts
Biltmore coffee traders in south asheville

Locally owned, Locally Roasted in house, and it is a cool qwarky spot. Across the road from Apollo Flame. Anything in there is good and it has usually been roasted that morning....best damn coffee in town is my thought.

ben

·
Registered
59 Posts
videl_majin_cold45 said:
House Latte at Carolina Bread and Bakery
Here in Raleigh it's Tradewinds Coffee for me (and not because wife works there part-time). We've been buying their fresh roasted beans for over 15 years. My favorite is the organic Guatemalan whole bean.

·
Registered
256 Posts
first and foremost, freshness counts! fresh roasted pedestrian beans will always be superior to 'gourmet' oxidized bulk-bin beans. find a local roaster, get whatever is within a couple days old, buy no more than you'll use in a week, and store it cool/dark/airtight (*not* in the freezer). also, buy beans (please, not pre-ground) and grind right before use...ideally in a burr grinder.

all that said, i suggest you try some new guinea sigri. ever heard of jamaican blue mtn.? it's absurdly expensive but a very nice cup. like the french grape rootstock taken to argentina years ago to avoid a blight, JBM bushes were taken to new guinea in the 30's and are now grown there. no longer identical, but similar to JBM and at a far better price.

try it in a press pot and hold onto your hat!

- dookie
(a total junkie)

www.coffeegeek.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ahh yes. Tradewinds roasts the same coffee as Papua New Guinea. A better cup of coffee to my tastes than the Blue Mountain, and $11/lb is much better than $42/lb. They are a local roaster who supply many of the local coffee shops and better restaurants.

·
401 Posts
scmtbiker said:
I like Yuban if I make it at home.
I gotta say as a coffee snob..........Yuban rocks for the money! Good stuff to take camping. Lately my non-beer drink of choice has been Peruvian Yerba Mate...give it a try.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
"OOh, can we talk." Sorry I thought this was a tribute to the SNL skits where Mike Myers played Linda Richman called Coffee Talk:D . All jokes aside, I enjoy a good cup of coffee every morning. I really don't have a "said" favorite, just has to have a good flavor and be fairly strong. I have gotten a few blends from Earthfare that I have enjoyed, and I have tried a few at local coffee houses that were excellent as well. I will have to check out some of the ones mentioned in this thread. Not like I can do anything else since I can't ride for about another 2 months. Hey David, good news, doesn't look like I am gonna have to have surgery after all. The physical therapy is coming along nicely, hopefully we can go for a ride here about the first of April:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
My most favorite coffee is Koloa Estate Reserve from the Kauai Coffee Co. in Eleele, Kauai Hawaii. It is fully organic and it is the largest coffee plantation in America. It is grown in red volcanic soil overlooking the Pacific with 85degree weather with bright sun everyday. Also, it keeps my money in the states and helps support one of the most beautiful places in the world. Next would be anything coming from Leopard Forest Roasters in Travelers Rest SC. Rob and Ildie moved here from Zimbabwae(sp?) where they own a Shade tree, organic coffee plantation. They import their beans into TR and roast them here. I try to support them due to the stories Rob tells me about the difficulties he has producing beans in Africa. The local currency is not worth anything and it is illegal to carry foriegn currencies so this makes life alittle difficult. Also, sometimes you can't buy diesel anywhere for weeks or there will be no electricity for awhile. did I mention political instability? Rob comes back to TR and thinks he is in the middle of NYC after spending acouple of months back in Africa! They picked TR because of the mountains and the growing commmmunity. They have been a godsend for coffee lovers(addicts) in TR sine all we could get was gas station swill, plus they are pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'd like to second two of the recs you received:

Velvet Hammer from City Bakery

Leopard Coffee Co. in Traveler's Rest. You can taste this stuff a little closer to Asheville at Wildflour Bakery in Saluda. This stuff is so noticeably superior that my Dad, who will drink INSTANT coffee, mentioned how good it was when I took him to Wildflour. Previous to that, i assumed he couldn't actually TASTE coffee.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
carter1 said:
Agree with BillC.
I just ground some Organic Guatemalan beans from Tradewinds and am waiting for my first cup as I type this. Mmmmm, good stuff.
c
Where do you get the Tradewinds? I usually get the Counter Culture coffees which they carry at Whole Foods. CC is a local roaster (Durham) as well. One of these days, I'm going to buy an air popper, buy the green beans and roast my own.

·
Registered
776 Posts
litespeedchick said:
I'd like to second two of the recs you received:

Velvet Hammer from City Bakery

Leopard Coffee Co. in Traveler's Rest. You can taste this stuff a little closer to Asheville at Wildflour Bakery in Saluda. This stuff is so noticeably superior that my Dad, who will drink INSTANT coffee, mentioned how good it was when I took him to Wildflour. Previous to that, i assumed he couldn't actually TASTE coffee.
Ive got an entire construction company lovin' Leopard Forest! Even the Latinos ask for it in the morning. It helps that they are down the street from my office/yard. i usually buy 5 pounds at atime. Wego thru it quick. I think it sells for $8 bucks a pound in TR.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.