Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Shocks forum, but this place gets more viewers so I thought I'd put it here too.

I know nothing about shocks. i searched and found some info about replacing seals, but I still have a probably dumb question:

if that collar on the shock is loose, that would cause air to leak, correct?

I have this shock on a soft tail and it didn't hold pressure during my ride yesterday. It went from 200 psi to 0 every 20 minutes or so. I am the 3rd owner of this frame and when I got it i notice there was remnants of teflon tape on the valve, so apparently the previous owner(s) had problems with it, and it could be the valve. The shock can't be more than a year old considering the bike was built in 2006. How quickly do seals go bad? And if it's not the seals or valve stem, could it be the loose collar? I found it loose after I got home and started looking at it. I tightened it up by hand, but won't have a chance to test it with a ride for a few days. I'm going to go ahead and order the seal replacement kit in the meantime. Just wondering if I may have already solved the problem by tightening the collar. One other thing: the shock does not seem to lose air when the bike is not being ridden, does this mean i won't see bubbles if i do the water test with it?

Thanks for any help/suggetions,
Steve

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Seals do go bad on the CC stuff (every brand will wear out). You The seal kit is fairly easy to replace, and you just need some patience to do it. Pull the shock off the frame and submerse in water to see where the leak it. It may help reduce the amount of work you need to do (ie.. loose valve stem ect).

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can't believe the seals are worn out after just a year. I'll try the water test, but since it only loses pressure when riding, i'm not sure i'll see the leak when it's just sitting in a tub of water. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've had my AD-5 for four years. After two years it suddenly wouldn't hold pressure, and it was pretty easy to replace the o-ring that had worn out. Last week it just did it again. I haven't opened it up yet, but I bet it'll be the same thing. The kit is $20 from CC, or $75 if they do it for you.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
steevo said:
i can't believe the seals are worn out after just a year. I'll try the water test, but since it only loses pressure when riding, i'm not sure i'll see the leak when it's just sitting in a tub of water. Thanks for your reply.
I guess it really depends on your riding environement, and maintenence schedule on the shock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.