Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a chance to try Crown Royal during my holidays.

I know it's rather cheap... but the question is, are all Canadian whiskeys like this?

I actually prefer the flavour of Scotch. Stronger, not as mellow. The Crown Royal didn't tasted as strong, neither had that wooden flavour that I like.

Any other brand to try?

I know Noel likes boutique spirits (and bikes ;) :thumbsup: ), but my taste is not that refined to feel the subtleties of finer spirits.

Cheers!!
Warp

BTW... Happy new year!

·
Perpetual Hack
2,188 Posts
No longer a big whisky drinker, but from my wilder days....

The style of whisky you are refering to is normally called "Rye" in Canada.

While I don't drink it very often, I have heard Crown Royal described as light and perfumie (spelling for a word that does not exist?) and would tend to agreee. Not alot of body.

For something with more body - try a Gibsons - Silver or Gold.

The commonly found CC ( Canadian Club ) is quite harsh, but the 18 year old is not bad.

IMHO, avoid Silk Tasel, 5 Star, LTD etc, all harsh crap.

Just like scotch or bourbon, HUGE variation in style and taste. May take a bit to find your palate.

michael

·
MTBR member since 1998
185 Posts
Try Teachers.

Tim...waiting for Noel to chime on and learn us all on whiskey, rye, and spirts that make the spirit happy.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hey Warp:

Ya, Crown Royal is best mixed with Coke or ginger ale. On it's own it's pretty sweet and not what I would call a good time :p Unfortunately, the majority of the Canadian Rye is pretty - er.... - not that great.

Most decent single malts are (imho) way better.

However, there are a couple of decent ones like Alberta Premium which isn't too bad.

Personally, I think that Forty Creek Barrel Select is by far the best Canadian Rye Whisky available. However, it's a bit inconsistent - some batches are very, very good, while others are OK, though no where near as sickly sweet as Crown Royal or Canada Club :p

Haven't tried Pendleton's - will have to check that out. Is it an American / Canadian joint product? the website says that it's distilled in Canada, but cut (and bottled?) in Oregon I think. Interesting!

There are two Canadian Single Malt producers: Glenora Distillery produces Glen Breton in the Maritimes, but I haven't tried it. Secondly, there is a new distillery (Shelter Point) on Vancouver island as well.

http://www.glenoradistillery.com/

http://www.shelterpointdistillery.com/

Ya, the whole point of blended whiskies is to make them smooth by balancing out the strong flavour profiles of single malt whiskies. Also, blends can use younger whiskies (hence being substantially cheaper) because again a good master blender can eliminate or mask a the harsher tastes of younger spirit.

Personally, I find it much more interesting when there is a fun flavour profile, like in good single malt whisky. You don't have to like each and every single malt that you've tried, but at least there are differences, sometimes very obvious ones! And when it's good, it is SOOOO good!

Slainte!

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
I've never found Crown to be all that "cheap" personally, but I have no idea what kind of bar you guy's are working with? I've never found it to taste anything, but pretty damn good either.. Coke OR rocks.

My absolute preference is "Gentleman" Jack however. Tennessee, Kentucky or Ireland.... What's this Oregon stuff? ick! :nono: ;)

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
I'm not a whiskey person at all really but I have been known to carry a flask on wintertime adventures to toast the mountain. It's good for the soul.

I want to try some Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. http://www.stranahans.com/

Fellow mtbr'er Dave Nice, aka fixiedave/slowerthensnot, works there. :thumbsup:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
knollybikes.com said:
Ya, Crown Royal is best mixed with Coke or ginger ale. On it's own it's pretty sweet and not what I would call a good time :p Unfortunately, the majority of the Canadian Rye is pretty - er.... - not that great.
I'll stick to single malts then! Thanks for the advice...

BA... Whiskey with coke is for sissies.... Only on the rocks or alone for me.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Warp said:
I'll stick to single malts then! Thanks for the advice...

BA... Whiskey with coke is for sissies.... Only on the rocks or alone for me.
There was a time when I only drank it on the rocks or out the bottle, but I got tired of waking up in jail, or having pool Q's broken over my head.

Your more of a morning drinker anyway. Than you just carry on through till your out for the night. That's how your able to stay outta trouble. ;)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blackagness said:
Your more of a morning drinker anyway. Than you just carry on through till your out for the night. That's how your able to stay outta trouble. ;)
Xactly!!

I start by 6:00 in the morning... so, by 9:00 that I hit the office everybody think that I'm just like that.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
cocheese said:
I'm not a whiskey person at all really but I have been known to carry a flask on wintertime adventures to toast the mountain. It's good for the soul.

I want to try some Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. http://www.stranahans.com/

Fellow mtbr'er Dave Nice, aka fixiedave/slowerthensnot, works there. :thumbsup:
Stranahan's is pretty decent actually. And I mean that in the best way. There are lots of young distilleries and a lot of them are not that good. In fact, there are a lot of old distilleries that aren't that good either. For a "new" player to the market, I think they're definitely on the right track. Totally drinkable neat and enjoyable too!

The first time I had it was last spring, when DWF brought over a couple of cases!

Tigerrider very kindly brought me up my own bottle this past summer.

Cheers!

N.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Crown is best with Ginger ale, but all the good Whiskey is made in the Southern US. You're in the wrong country Warp!!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SSINGA said:
You're in the wrong country Warp!!
I was at my in-laws and my Wife's gran-pa pulled out the Crown Royal.

I'm more of a Scotch drinker... Jack is for real men, so I usually don't drink it, but I like it too.

I like the "wooden" (Sorry for my lacking in spirits terminology and knowledge) flavour of Scotchs and Reposados. I can't stand silver tequilas, for example.

Actually, only silver spirit that I like is Sugar Cane alcohol (Aguardiente de Caña)... but not the anisette flavoured one (like it's made in Colombia).

Had Vodka once, will never do it again. Like BA said, you wake up in places you don't know and can't remember how you got there.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,188 Posts
Warp said:
Actually, only silver spirit that I like is Sugar Cane alcohol (Aguardiente de Caña)...
Warp

Regarding Cane Sugar Alcohol, when I have been in Costa Rica they have liquor called "Cacique" which I have had described as "Made like rum, looks like Vodka and kicks like Tequila" Would "Aguardiente de Caña" be similar? I have never had it neat, only in a mixed drink
"Guaro Sour" which I did enjoy. ( Cacique, Sugar Cane Syrop, Lime, Ice and a splash of Grenadine.) Not normally a fan of mixed drinks, but this I do enjoy, especially as a Frost Bitten Canadian Boy baking in the sun.

As for home and Whisky, I currently tend to steer towards Jim Beam. Was enjoying the company of Mr. Daniels for a bit, but a friend brought over Mr. Beam. I'm thinking as Jim is smoother than Jack, it lets more character through. IMHO of course.

michael

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mykel said:
Warp

Regarding Cane Sugar Alcohol, when I have been in Costa Rica they have liquor called "Cacique" which I have had described as "Made like rum, looks like Vodka and kicks like Tequila" Would "Aguardiente de Caña" be similar? I have never had it neat, only in a mixed drink.
michael
Sounds like it. If it doesn't have any flavour in it, that's it.
I've had it with just water from the faucet, alone or with any other thing at hand... amongst all kind of stupid stuff you make when you're 20 and your only obligation is attend to classes and pass exams once a week or so.

In Mexico, that liquor is like 50cents of US Dollar a quart bottle... Most silver ones are pure aguardiente (alcohol, 46°) and will go fine mixed with almost anything and suck by themselves. Stay away from colored ones... those have artificial colorants and the hangover is nasty... pretty nasty. Super-Caña was my fave and cheapest.

There's PURE alcohol Aguardiente (96°!!!! :eek: ) I tasted that crap once and it's like drinking the alcohol used in first aids.

In Colombia, Aguardiente is Anisette flavoured. Closer to Anisette than Rum.

Rum... being from Coastal Mexico, I just love the stuff.... the gold or dark one is better for me (again, wooden taste). I'll take whiskey over anything else, though.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
wisers (reserve or special blend IMO) is a good canadian whiskey. also there are some very unique "whiskey" coming out of quebec, distilled from maple wine or having maple syrup components to them.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Warp said:
Whiskey with coke is for sissies.... Only on the rocks or alone for me.
With coke? Disgusting.
On the rocks? I think it hides all taste.

Some time ago, it was explained to me that you should drink Irish whisky mixed with a little water: just enough to reduce the taste of alcohol but not so much it dilutes the rest of the flavors. Is that allowed with Canadian?

I am no expert but I like some variety. Drinking the same stuff for months would be boring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ferday said:
wisers (reserve or special blend IMO) is a good Canadian whiskey.
I was waiting for someone to add that in there. wisers is defiantly a good Canadian whiskey aka Rye. I am a fan of either the wisers reserve and the wisers deluxe. either on the rocks or in ginger.

·
Super Moderator
20,800 Posts
mykel said:
Regarding Cane Sugar Alcohol, when I have been in Costa Rica they have liquor called "Cacique" which I have had described as "Made like rum, looks like Vodka and kicks like Tequila" Would "Aguardiente de Caña" be similar? I have never had it neat, only in a mixed drink
"Guaro Sour" which I did enjoy. ( Cacique, Sugar Cane Syrop, Lime, Ice and a splash of Grenadine.) Not normally a fan of mixed drinks, but this I do enjoy, especially as a Frost Bitten Canadian Boy baking in the sun.

De la caña se hace el guaro
que caramba si la caña es buena fruta
si la caña se machuca
que caramba
si el guaro tambien se chupa

ummmm... guaro!

that's what's so great about it...you can mix it with everything... guaro sour is great for drinking at the beach for sure! (actually it is Cola syrup or mostly anything that is sweet) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
cocheese said:
If you're looking to "toast the mountain" year round, have you seen these from Ahearne Cycles?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts