Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks here goes. . .

I have done no research, I am on a tight budget and timeline and no I haven't searched the threads. . . Shame on me I will give you a tour of Pisgah NC or answer any of your questions on riding there anytime <------ that is me begging as I know how snooty we can be in the NC/SC forum.

Anyway, I am looking to ski Taos this coming Saturday but I will be driving from AL all day on Friday so I need a cheap place to camp/crash on Friday night around Alburquerque or further north closer to Taos. I will have driven quite a bit (18 hours) to get there so I don't mind stopping short, getting a few Z's and then getting up early to drive the rest of the way to Taos.

So is there any viable camping options that are worth it? I don't mind the cold. I will actually be in route to raft the CO through the Canyon but I am stopping for a snow fix first.

How are the roads around Taos this time of the year? Will it be scetchy for me in a front wheel drive only? Varaible I am sure. . .

Anyway, any info you can give me would be great. . . Maybe I should just bring my bike :thumbsup:

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
extrmtao said:
Anyway, I am looking to ski Taos this coming Saturday but I will be driving from AL all day on Friday so I need a cheap place to camp/crash on Friday night around Alburquerque or further north closer to Taos. I will have driven quite a bit (18 hours) to get there so I don't mind stopping short, getting a few Z's and then getting up early to drive the rest of the way to Taos.
I still consider myself new to NM, but will attempt to help out. Camping around ABQ is mostly closed for the season as far as I'm aware. However if you could make it up to Jemez and "Laz Honches"(Don't know the exact sp) they have some great spots that a few min walk in. This would be winter camping right now, so if you have a good winter bag then I would give it a go.

extrmtao said:
How are the roads around Taos this time of the year? Will it be scetchy for me in a front wheel drive only? Varaible I am sure. . .
That is a bit of a loaded question, all depends upon the driver. Saw a guy in a all wheel drive subaru slide off the road, followed by a 4x SUV looking to explore the ditch. This was all on glare ice. We were only in a FWB with poor tires and had no problem driving around the both of them. Then again we moved from the frozen woods up north.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, I am only looking for car camping as I will have too much stuff and will need to keep my car within eyesight. I will probably end up going with a cheap hotel wherever I can find one.

Yeah I understand about the driver, I just wasn't sure if there were a lot of passes headed up to Taos. I am experienced in driving out west and putting chains on so hopefully I will be fine with that. . .

Let me know if anyone has any recommendations on where to stay around the area, thanks again!

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I need a few things done around the house....

:D :D

What day are you coming through Abq.? I have 3 kids, 2 adults, 2 dogs, a toad, and apparently a cupboard moth infestation:eekster:, but I can still spare a couch for an evening:) .

Is no one more equipped to handle company than me?

I Hate to see you sleepin' in the cold for sure and I know a lot about tight budget road trips. I'll be doing one if February. Your welcome to the couch if you have no better options.

We have a few xtra bikes between all of us if you have time for a ride:thumbsup: !

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind invitation. I am not sure exactly how my schedule will fall yet and I got some good replies on teton gavity about budget places to stay so I should be all set!!

I wish I had time for a ride but skiing is my priority if there is snow.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
711 Posts
makachut said:
if you have the gear sleep in the parking lot at the ski area and get some early morning fresh
Taos has signs about 'no overnight camping in p-lot' everywhere. Not sure if it's enforced. I don't think Pajarito cares...not sure about Ski Santa Fe, Red River or Angel Fire.

Pretty sure all the camping spots remotely near any ski area will be closed. We've got lots of snow so far and there will be 3' of powder covering the areas. Might consider a Wal Mart parking lot. There's one in Taos and you'd be only 30 minutes from the slopes.

Edit: I just remembered that there's a hostel in Arroyo Seco. It's between Taos and the ski area, maybe 10-15 minute drive. It'd cost $20-30 bucks a night but warmer than a car. http://www.snowmansion.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.