Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first complete bike build, so I`m pretty excited. It`s still a long ways from being finished, but last night I was finally able to piece it together (with a little help from 3M) enough that it took on the shape of a bike for the first time. Hopefully I`ll "get bent" by sometime in July. Since it`s my first, I decided it would be in my best interest to copy an existing bike- that takes most of the engineering out of the picture and just leaves me with the actual fabrication work. To make it even simpler still, I opted to pass on diamond frame constructions for the time being. So, here`s where I stand now with my rendition of a Rans V-Rex.
https://www.ransbikes.com/VREX07.htm

Select pixels here, a more complete collection is up on Photobucket.
https://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t218/brianylupita/Homebrew recumbent/

Attachments

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Martin. The fork I`m using for now is a cheap BMX fork. I plan to build one myself later on, but for now I just want to get it on the road as soon as possible. It`ll also give me a chance to evaluate the front end geometry and change it a little bit if necessary. The tubing is straight wall cromo from Wicks Aircraft in Kansas- 1 1/2 inch and 5/8 Dia with .035 (about .8mm) wall thickness and 1 3/8 x .049 for the telescope. Only the head tube and BB shell are bike specific.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm looking foward to seeing it once it's complete. Please keep us posted with updates.

·
7,758 Posts
Wow! That is really cool! Amazing to take a block of steel and some pipes and make your own bike! Lookin' good :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
My optometrist forbid me to learn welding from Dad, given my eyesight. It is projects like these, I wish I wish I'd at least learned brazing. :madman:

I think all bikes are fun, well all rideable ones, anyway. Sorta the point. :D

Guts to try, more guts to show it in progress. Impressive. Very Impressive.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you enjoy the pics, gang- I`ll keep updating periodically. It`s been a lot of fun, and so far, not as tricky as I imagined. Then again, there`s no way to know yet whether I`ve botched anything, so maybe there`s more trick to it than is apparent to me :D

Brian:
1A My mom doesn`t forbid Dad from teaching us things, but she gets a a wary look in her eye whenever that starts. Her forsight has been highly honed over the past 45 years.
1B Actually, brazing is probably worse than welding for your eyeballs. Welding is so bright that it`s never tempting to "just do this little bit" without the required gear. If your dermatologist had been concerned, he would have been right to warn you away from welding- sometimes I can spend a whole shift brazing without ever burning myself once! Two hours of welding without burning myself is something to mark on the calendar.
2 ...and sometimes it`s getting the bike to the point of being rideable that`s the most fun, making UNRIDEABLE bikes kinda nice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You made the dropouts on the bridgeport, and the so called "bottom bracket" with the lathe, damn kid , I think you somethin somethin going

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ha Ha Ha Ha H aHa ! Your killin me! There's some kind of passion burnin on inside you!:madmax: :D :eek: :thumbsup: :) ;) build us a mountain bike rodar , build us a mountain bike

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
rodar y rodar said:
Two hours of welding without burning myself is something to mark on the calendar.
Yeah. Sometimes I had to help hold things while dad tacked them, looking away or eyes clenched shut. I have a holey if not holy hide having held his handiman hunks of steel. :madmax:

rodar y rodar said:
2 ...and sometimes it`s getting the bike to the point of being rideable that`s the most fun, making UNRIDEABLE bikes kinda nice.
Yeah I shortened the top and bottom tubes of a straight guage 531 frame 2" and twisted the forks and stays 'real nice 'n' purdy'! Scrapped it. Should've chromed it. Had nice Newvex lugs. Would have been a garden sculpture conversation piece. I don't remember it being kinda nice, other than the 'not breaking, or rupturing major body parts' part.:D

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I will only be impressed if you kill an animal to make the seat.

:lol:

kidding, that's a pretty sweet project. A recumbent is a heck of a complex first attempt. Lookng forward to seeing it done!

·
No-Brakes Cougar
1,143 Posts
Wow, in true Rodar fashion you are literally building it, including fabrication of the frame and fork!!! Nice work, I look forward to seeing it completed!

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
CommuterBoy said:
I will only be impressed if you kill an animal to make the seat.
:lol:

And THEN, only IF you use a Neolithic hunting kit you knap yourself! Also kidding, :lol:

CommuterBoy said:
Lookng forward to seeing it done!
Guts to put it out here before it's a fait accompli so we can critique very step of the way! :lol:

That this 'bent is being built and that this thread exists makes me smile. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Don't get any ideas about starting out with raw ore, now.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha- maybe an armadillo seat!

Cranky, I didn`t turn the BB shell myself- that pic is just boring out the shims I put in the telescope to dea lwith too much difference in diameter between inside and outside. I wouldn`t mind doing a new mtb frame, but since I really have no complaints agaist the lonesome Kona frame I have now, it`s down on the list a ways.

CB, this `bent is actually simpler than a DF- one triangle and it`s so squatty that any misalignment in the vertical plane won`t be noticeable except with close inspection. That`s the main reason I started with one before moving up to a more traditional frame.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where it stands now...

Well, my slow progress has slowed even more with a bunch of birthdays, Mothers Day, and other Days seeming to fall on the nights when I would otherwise be able to go in early and play with my tubing :eek: . I still might have it done by the end of July, but I`d better get a move on.

Last week, I did the last brazing of the main tubes, so it`s now an official triangle. The lower tubes (chain stays?) were a real bear to miter and then a bear to braze- they definitely turned out on the ugly side. Brazing is kind of like pouring concrete in that once you start you`re in it until it`s done. Anything that goes wrong you just do what you can on the fly and hope for the best, then try to clean up the carnage afterwards. Vanity prevented me from snapping any pics of the initial brazes there, even though I should have gotten some now that I think about it. The brass is now pretty much cleaned up and the next step will be to go back and try to hide the ugliest parts with silver, then file and sand again.

Still to do: final dropout alignment, cap the ends of the T where the "seat stays" tie in, cut face and ream headtube, face and chase BB shell, brake bridge, rear canti studs, cable stops, FD post (since there`s no seat tube), seat brackets, seat back struts, quill and stem assembly (no idea yet how I`m gonna do that). Did I say July?

Attachments

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My toy store is the best part of the job- sometimes I think it`s even better than the paychecks.

I`m glad that Gary approves of the work in progress. When it`s ready to roll, I`m going to drive it down to the peninsula and have hime guinea pig it for me before I risk my own skin on the thing :D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts