Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I'm looking for a dual sport bike and am unsure as of where to start....

I've ridden before and need a bike that I can commute to school on and ride off road as well.

I want off road tires and least 10" suspension front and back.

75% on road 25% off.

List of manufacturers:
Honda
?
?

Can any Dirt Bike be converted to street Lega and if so how much would a typicl kit cost to do it?

Preferabbly under 8 grand....

Thanks,
john

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

I think i'm going to go with a stright MX bike and convert it to street legal.

I will also get an enlarged fuel tank, tires etc... to complete the commuter setup...

I just really don't like how high the dual only bikes sit, as well as the suspension setups compared to the MX/offraod bikes.

Anyways paymets are stupid cheap compared to my truck and gas willl also be nice..

Four stroke is a must.

Peace,
John

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Possible problems.

J-mizzle said:
I think i'm going to go with a stright MX bike and convert it to street legal.

I will also get an enlarged fuel tank, tires etc... to complete the commuter setup...

I just really don't like how high the dual only bikes sit, as well as the suspension setups compared to the MX/offraod bikes.

Anyways paymets are stupid cheap compared to my truck and gas willl also be nice..

Four stroke is a must.

Peace,
John
I currently dual sport and travel all over the country to ride. I see you live in Nevada. Perhaps your licensing regs there are not as stringent as others, but make sure you check into whether there are any problems with registering an off road motorcycle for street use. This is a no-starter for some places.

Another problem is that true off road 4-strokes don't make the best dual sport bikes when used as real street bikes and commuters. They don't rack up road miles very well, as they're really not made for that kind of use. Older Hondas and some other models did make good dual sport crossovers, but most real off road 4-strokes today are fairly high strung and run fairly high rpm. Honda 450s for example, wear their valve-train parts pretty quickly, and the other brands are somewhat similar. This isn't a big deal on a race bike that doesn't get a lot of hours, and where you give up some longevity for power, but not the best recipe for something you don't want to have to putz with all the time for riding on the road.

It's better to take a decent dual purpose bike and set it up for off roading. The Suzuki 400 already mentioned in one of these posts is probably the best at this. I use a KLR650 that doesn't have much left on it that's stock, but it's a heavy brute. However, it has seen many miles of harsh off road trails and tracks in Utah, Colorado, and California with solid reliability...and its 6-gallon tank has seen at least a couple of slightly sub-300 mile days.

I'm not trying to be harsh on race bikes turned dual sport, but if you're really going to use it for communting and such, in addition to some off road use, I think you'll be happier with something like the DRZ400. It's a very capable off road rig. The suggestion of the Thumpertalk site is a good one too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aight...

I see the angle your pointing out and I think your right...

I went down to the shop today and looked around and the salesman had basically the same thing to say....

I'm strongly considering the drz 400.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.